E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Jeremy Clarkson Hates America!

05-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #23
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman View Post
I disagree parts of america would get pretty worked up. Its just that the american audience of Top gear is probably not that closed minded. Anyone see the episode where they drive through the south and nearly get beat.

Very funny though
      05-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #24
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

You have to understand that Clarkson takes the piss on pretty much anything. He is patriotic, and loves to bag americans, but he freely cans poms and anyone else he comes across.

Take all he says with a grain of salt. Sure some of it may be based in part on his true feelings, but as stated above, exaggerated sarcasm is his trademark.

Be honest. Surely we've all wanted to take a machine gun to a Prius! :wink:
      05-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #25
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

he is polarizing. I love him
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #26
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

There are actually folks on this board who think the negative stuff that Clarkson says about America, Germany, China, Australia, France, Switzerland, Korea, Ireland, Sweden, etc... makes him anti-American?

Whatever.

Meanwhile, all I hear about other countries from people here are people calling the French a bunch of cowards, or saying that everything from China is crap. Or bad-mouthing British soccer holigans, or talking down Mexicans for getting jobs illegally in the US.

Does that makes almost everyone in the US anti-Chinese, anti-French, anti-British, and anti-Mexican?

All Clarkson is doing is playing upon the same nationalistic group indentity taunts that get played upon everywhere in the world. It's no different than cheering for your local high school football team to beat the football team from the town next door. Anytime you draw a border and create an "Us vs. Them" situation, the trash talk will instantly start coming out.

If you hate Clarkson just because he has a pro-British bias and takes every opportunity to bash the entire rest of the world, you need to get over yourself. Try starting with judging YOURSELF based upon the same standard you are judging others.

Sorry to be so harsh, but somebody has to say it, instead of pussy-footing around the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #27
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Top Gear is great, and yes he is biased, but when you give him a good car, he will acknowledge that it is a good car. He is biased against BMW, didn't like the new M5, M3, and previous 1's. But when he test drove them and the 135i, he gave them a great review.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #28
SnakeDoc?
Gold Member
Rep
Drives:

(the link at the start of the thread talks rubbish. The television is Scottish and whilst the Internet's American, the www is English)

Friends, friends! My friends from across the Pond do not hate the old boy! Clarkson is a special breed of British male, one I feel I will inevitably grow into. The curmudgeonly git. The British love a grumpy old man (indeed, we have a series where Clarkson is a firm favourite called Grumpy Old Men, where celebs over 55 or so just moan about things for an hour. What other country would find that fun viewing? We do!) Men like me moan and whine about things because it's enjoyable. I don't know, I just seem to take joy in criticising things. It makes me happy.

Yes, I know, it's sad.

We enjoy mocking the Americans, as do most of the world, because - and face it - a lot of Americans are jerks. A lot of people from a lot of countries are jerks, but American culture, TV, politics etc dominates the world so we all see more of it than other countries. So don't mistake our poking fun for dislike, all the Brits on here wouldn't post if they disliked Americans. The British also like to think they're superior to, well everyone (predominantly because we are )

As several have said, a lot of what he says is for the show's sake. The 3 presenters are 'scripted' (Top Gear isn't actually scripted) to disagree.

Lastly, in terms of American cars...many of them do suck balls. It's a fact! For every Ford GT, there's an F150, for every Ford Focus, there's a f*cking Buick. And so forth. I won't make things worse by linking to his column two weeks ago which was the most hilarious tirade against the USA I've read.

Besides, he loves the 135i!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #29
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

I have to go with SnakeDoc? and Jeremy, and probably others, that American cars generally are, crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #30
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Surely, ALL of us realize deep down that the Jeremy Clarkson we see and read is into Entertainment first and objective journalism last. His persona is his product, and he's been very successful in selling it...so who's to blame him for that? Certainly not we complicit, entertained viewers & readers.

The 'other' (Dr. Jekkyl?) Clarkson visits hospitals to meet with maimed and despondent Brit soldiers returning from Iraq, to entertain and say thanks. He doesn't promote this as it doesn't fit his public persona, but it does illustrate the persona and the man might not quite be one and the same.

Gosh, does this mean Reality TV isn't . . . real?

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #31
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by esses View Post
He really seemed to like the Jag XK8. I guess he can just overlook the fact that the XK8 is an American-designed car and that Jaguar is wholly owned by an Indian conglomerate?
Really?

Last time I checked, Jaguar was 'wholly' owned by Ford.

Also, the 1996 XK8 was designed by a Brit - Geoff Lawson (also designed the XJ220). That was then followed by the 2006 XK8 designed by.... yep, another Brit - Ian Callum who is the Design Director at Ford.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #32
M3WannaBe
Loiterer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Really?

Last time I checked, Jaguar was 'wholly' owned by Ford.
Jaguar and Land Rover were recently sold to Tata, a huge Indian conglomerate.

Clarkson is hilarious. I wonder, for the folks who can't stand him, do you also dislike British humor in general? Seems that some people either like it or hate it. I love it, personally. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #33
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Top Gear is not to be missed. Set the DVR. Laughter is good for you.
Clarkson loves the Audi R8 and thinks the 135i is the best car BMW makes. Sounds good to me...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #34
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

there are several faults to the tv program...

not understanding the difference between wheel hp and crank hp

justifying paying less and sacrificing comfort for the gain in performance bargain (V8XR vs M5 then C6 z06 vs Ferarri 599)

testing the red convertible mustang as a GT

comparing a stock convertible cobra against a modded (and more expensive) GT

not understanding the usefulness of a pickup truck that doesn't prefix with the word Toyota

80% of the program is honest truth.. i'd like to see the American car hobbiest mags/tv programs try to replicate the same thing... of course they won't, due to the probable loss in credibility from auto makers and the hyprocracy of past statements... in the end, it's all entertainment...

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #35
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Last time I checked, Jaguar was 'wholly' owned by Ford. Also, the 1996 XK8 was designed by a Brit - Geoff Lawson (also designed the XJ220). That was then followed by the 2006 XK8 designed by.... yep, another Brit - Ian Callum who is the Design Director at Ford.
The '96 XK8's exterior was penned by Fergus Pollock, the interior by Karen Anderson, and engineer Bob Dover was the project director (and, later, chairman of the board). Lawson was the head of Ford/Jaguar's in-house design team - not specific to the XK. Callum is a Scot, and is probably an American citizen by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoc? View Post
Lastly, in terms of American cars...many of them do suck balls. It's a fact! For every Ford GT, there's an F150, for every Ford Focus, there's a f*cking Buick. And so forth. I won't make things worse by linking to his column two weeks ago which was the most hilarious tirade against the USA I've read.
I was with you until you said F150. The one thing American car mfgs can make are trucks (and guns)! :drinking: Nothing better than an F350 dually for towing a 911 RS America to and from the track. :biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:46 AM   #36
d1ez3
Private
Rep
Drives:

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle3103294.ece

He calls the 135i the best car BMW makes
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #37
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

After driving most of the American sports cars, I have to say that Clarkson is right..... All of the mass produced cars in America are piles of shit. I actually wanted a new vette' until i went and test drove one. That car felt cheap and like they put soapbox derby suspension in a car and expected it to handle well.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #38
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A few data points to illustrate how well Top Gear & Clarkson are received as entertainers:

-- it was announced last month that there will be a USA-based Top Gear TV show
-- a few months ago, announced that Australia will offer a Top Gear TV show
-- estimated in Wikipedia that Top Gear is the most widely downloaded TV program in the world right now
-- I meet & socialize with a very international crowd because of sailing - mostly Europeans, Aussies, Kiwis and N Americans. Everyone seems to both know about and enjoy Top Gear; most of us carry multiple seasons of Top Gear on our laptops.

Hyperbole sells, and Reality TV appeals even tho' viewers recognize it isn't really 'real'...

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #39
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
There are actually folks on this board who think the negative stuff that Clarkson says about America, Germany, China, Australia, France, Switzerland, Korea, Ireland, Sweden, etc... makes him anti-American?

Whatever.

Meanwhile, all I hear about other countries from people here are people calling the French a bunch of cowards, or saying that everything from China is crap. Or bad-mouthing British soccer holigans, or talking down Mexicans for getting jobs illegally in the US.

Does that makes almost everyone in the US anti-Chinese, anti-French, anti-British, and anti-Mexican?

All Clarkson is doing is playing upon the same nationalistic group indentity taunts that get played upon everywhere in the world. It's no different than cheering for your local high school football team to beat the football team from the town next door. Anytime you draw a border and create an "Us vs. Them" situation, the trash talk will instantly start coming out.

If you hate Clarkson just because he has a pro-British bias and takes every opportunity to bash the entire rest of the world, you need to get over yourself. Try starting with judging YOURSELF based upon the same standard you are judging others.

Sorry to be so harsh, but somebody has to say it, instead of pussy-footing around the issue.
      05-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #40
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

One point that illustrates the popularity of the show....

In the UK, Top Gear is watched by almost as many WOMEN as men.

Name one other motoring show that appeals to the other (larger) half of the population?

It's all entertainment, but the guys really know their cars, and can drive them. I respect their ultimate thoughts, regardless of how stupidly they get there.

Hell, it was Clarkson's article in Jan this year that clinched my decision to buy the 135.

Whilst he bashes, criticises etc BMW's at any opportunity, he thought this one was a keeper! GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!
      05-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #41
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep

" If you hate Clarkson just because he has a pro-British bias..."

Suggest you watch more Top Gear. No nation that builds cars endures more abuse from the Top Gear Trio than Britain, who's history of rubbish is criticized at every turn. (Well...perhaps except for the French)

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #42
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in St. Pete View Post
" If you hate Clarkson just because he has a pro-British bias..."

Suggest you watch more Top Gear. No nation that builds cars endures more abuse from the Top Gear Trio than Britain, who's history of rubbish is criticized at every turn. (Well...perhaps except for the French)

Jack
they hate France in every aspect, they hate American because we're fat and lazy...
James May once said that France is a country you drive through to get to Germany... and that it was filled with land burning communist peasents...

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #43
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

You guys need to lighten up. They say what they say to inspire reaction.

All comments are based on cliché and timeless generalisations.

Hell, he loves a GERMAN, GIRL, who can drive fast. How's that possible for a Brit guy you lambast so.

Clarkson LOVES old Citroen's, and they are French

Check out You Tube- Top Gear Nürburgring Ring to see. Also, search for Worst Cars of Century. British you'll find.

Again, take a chill pill and don't take him, or yourself, too seriously!
      05-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #44
Rezrectd
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Controversy sells
Appreciate 0