E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Advice...

05-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Tolkien
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Advice...

Alright, here goes...

I've been on this forum as a lurker for about 2 years now. I never thought there was any point to make an account as I had an Audi and this is a BMW Forum, but I spend so much time on here on a daily basis that I just caved in and made one.

I needed your advice about weight loss/gain and how I can go ahead and do it, I guess my situation needs a little explaining.

I weighed aprox. 200+ lbs upon entry into freshman year at college, during the first year alone, I lost 20 pounds (to 180) without trying anything differently. At the start of the summer I went to Greece, I spent 4 months there, swimming, chilling, etc. I went to the gym for about 1.5 of those months daily (with no weight loss whatsoever) but I ended up passing out one time and decided to stop... After stopping the gym I lost another 30 pounds, to end up at 160lbs by the end of summer. Ask me how? I have no idea.

Starting sophomore year all the way to the end of my third year I have gained all that weight back, I dont know how! I am now approx. 200 pounds. I guess it's the stress of school and what not. I am starting my summer now but 1 month of it will be dedicated to a practical rotation, so I could go to the gym before or after.

I don't look fat, but I notice the weight. I have most of my fat gain to my thighs and butt... and I'm a guy... I don't want to have a fat ass.

I wanted to sit down and make a workout plan and what to do... I know the basics, and I've used all the machines. I just need a plan that I could stick to on a daily basis and see results. I have pure whey protein in my room but I dont really know how or when to use it best in order to lose weight while building muscle at the same time. I have full access to a gym.

If it makes any diff, I am approx 6 feet. Every time I talk to a personal trainer, they tell me I have the body to get tanked, my frame is solid and there's a lot of potential... I just dont know how to go about utilizing it.

If any of you could help that would be great!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
I don't look fat, but I notice the weight. I have most of my fat gain to my thighs and butt... and I'm a guy... I don't want to have a fat ass.
According to Charles Poliquin, weight gain around the gluteal fold and thighs is synonymous with excessive estrogen; this is why many women tend to have fat stores in this area. His system, known as BioSignature Modulation, allows the practitioner to determine what is going on hormonally based upon where you tend to store fat.

In your case, I would attempt to avoid all environmental estrogen exposure particularly soy which appears in nearly all processed foods, pesticides, hygiene products (parabens), industrialized (and some organic) animal foods (because they are fed soy), and plastics which are everywhere. In addition, increasing your consumption of organic cruciferous vegetables like kale, broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower can help with metabolism of estrogen. Increased quality protein (and fat) consumption is also indicated to once again assist with estrogen metabolism in the liver. A sauna is beneficial along with supplements like calcium-d-glucarate, selenium, indol 3 carbinol, and diindolylmethane (DIM).

If you want to take an objective look at your hormones, run a salivary adrenal stress profile to see how stress, lifestyle, nutrition, etc. are affecting your free steroidal hormones levels.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Tolkien
Rep

What about a work-out plan? I need to know what to do daily, if I work out 5 days a week (during the week).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
What about a work-out plan? I need to know what to do daily, if I work out 5 days a week (during the week).
German Body Composition training - use lactic acid to spur growth hormone and fat loss. Do your own research on the subject so you can learn something and implement your own plan over time.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Acquarian
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: new F10 - 535 BMW

Quote:

Hello Tolkien,

To loose weight is hard, and unfortunately you will have to work at it, like anything else in life,
You have not mentioned what you eat and at what time you eat , and how many times a day you eat,

try the following, combined with a cardio gym workout.

If you can workout in the morning this is best for loosing weight, but if not the afternoon or evening would be fine, try to workout on 2 cardio machines 4 times a week, and each time 45 minutes. then spend 15 minutes doing light weight or machine exerecises, not heavy,

regarding what to eat ,
A) have a very good breakfast , composed of fibre cereals, and fruits, or even porridge ( I hate it personally so I stick to fibre cereals like Bran Flakes from Kellogs), and 2 eggs,

B) by 10 a.m have an apple, or a yogurt ( this will be your second meal)

by lunchtime, have grilled chicken breast or Turkey or even a poached salmon, (any fish is very good)

By 3 pm have a banana,

in the evening have a salad or a plate of grilled vegetables,

maybe 1 hour before going to the GYM, ( if you are working out in the evening)

avoid Protein shakes at this stage or any other supplement,for at least 4 -6 weeks,

and after this period you should start to see results,

Regards

Acquarian
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Tolkien
Rep

Hey there,

Thank you so much for your responses.

I would just like to know why I lost so much weight during the summer when I ate a steak nightly? It's very weird to me.

Also, with respect to your workout plan. I know this sounds weird but I really, really really hate cardio. I can't stand it. I love using the machine and doing 4 sets with alternating reps/weight, dumbells, anything to utilize my muscle. I really dislike the treadmill and the elliptical because I get so goddamn fucking bored on them I want to kill myself. In the summer (when I lost all the weight), I would run for about 15 minutes... albiet I swam for the rest of the day but that was fun, unlike this treadmill crap.

What are your thoughts on P90, does that work with the meal plan you have set out?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0