E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Frozen Grey Porsche Panamera, inspired from M3

02-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenry135 View Post
Don't worry, he drives an IS-F which a lot of people think looks rather ugly too. I like them personally, just those exhausts piss me off.
Lol!

I didn't actually say anything bad about the 1 initially, but was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of a 1 series owner (that includes a pic of his car in his sig) stating that a higher end Porsche looks like shit.

But since you want to go down this road, I love how all the 1 series owners are flocking in to defend their cars. Reality is you bought a mediocre looking, entry level BMW that is one of their least reliable cars. How's your HPFP holding up?

Only people who continue to talk about the exhaust of my car are the ones that know f.a. about cars. Guess this disconnected exhaust sucks to?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #24
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Lol!

I didn't actually say anything bad about the 1 initially, but was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of a 1 series owner (that includes a pic of his car in his sig) stating that a higher end Porsche looks like shit.

But since you want to go down this road, I love how all the 1 series owners are flocking in to defend their cars. Reality is you bought a mediocre looking, entry level BMW that is one of their least reliable cars. How's your HPFP holding up?

Only people who continue to talk about the exhaust of my car are the ones that know f.a. about cars. Guess this disconnected exhaust sucks to?

HPFP is holding up just fine, thanks for asking.

So, based on what you said, because the Panamera is a "higher end" car, it automatically looks good? That being a higher end car compared to mine it suddenly earns more style points?

News flash, just because its a more expensive car, doesnt make it look good. So here is a few more that is bound to stir up your hornets nest, The Ferrari California doesnt look good either. I'm not very fond of the 458's looks either (performance on the other hand is incredible), although its slowly growing on me. But back to the California, so because its a Ferrari and costs 5 times more than my car, its automatically 5 times better looking? To me, no. IMO, cost doesnt mean shit, and ugly car is an ugly car.

But opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. And on internet forums, everyone is entitled to theirs. You think the car looks good, ok, thats fine, you're allowed to feel that way and in no way am I saying there is a problem with that. However, I don't think the car looks good, so therefore I said the car looks like crap. Perks of being able to state my opinion.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #25
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
HPFP is holding up just fine, thanks for asking.

So, based on what you said, because the Panamera is a "higher end" car, it automatically looks good? That being a higher end car compared to mine it suddenly earns more style points?
News flash, just because its a more expensive car, doesnt make it look good. So here is a few more that is bound to stir up your hornets nest, The Ferrari California doesnt look good either. I'm not very fond of the 458's looks either (performance on the other hand is incredible), although its slowly growing on me. But back to the California, so because its a Ferrari and costs 5 times more than my car, its automatically 5 times better looking? To me, no. IMO, cost doesnt mean shit, and ugly car is an ugly car.

But opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. And on internet forums, everyone is entitled to theirs. You think the car looks good, ok, thats fine, you're allowed to feel that way and in no way am I saying there is a problem with that. However, I don't think the car looks good, so therefore I said the car looks like crap. Perks of being able to state my opinion.
No, I didn't state because it was higher end that it looked better. Perhaps my wording was wrong. I was simply pointing out that I found it ironic that a driver of a car whose looks are notably polarizing was calling out another polarizing car.

I actual agree with you about the California and am also luke warm on the 458...even after driving it on the track.

Fwiw, while I personally wouldn't buy one, I can see the niche that a 1 series fits into and it isn't a bad car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #26
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

i saw this thing in person and i still don't think it is that great a looker. it looks average at best.

I think the new cls amg is the best looking car in this class hands down.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #27
Chenry135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former 2008 135i/ 2006 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Lol!

Wow, where to start. Yes they continually defend their cars, for the same reason you continue to defend your silly stacked exhaust. (has nothing to do with the fake tips, just the fact that they are stacked) Second, I said I liked the looks of the IS-F, so kindly GTFO...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #28
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Try as they might, the thing still looks like crap.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #29
335iMIAMI
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

I take a normal painted pan thanks. Matte looks weird on the car.
      02-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #30
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

I have a Panamera and can definitely agree that without the Porsche badge...this car...lets just say, its decent, but the back would have issues.

The problem with other cars like the Rapide by Aston and probably the Audi A7...is that you cannot really fit adults in the back, certainly not in the Rapide...its not like Porsche wanted to have a fat rear...its needed to have a spacious back -- which in a family car is worth far more than a sleek rear.

Anyways, I can see how if you dissociate the badge...it can look off from the rear; but its an acquired taste, and its a very very high-end vehicle, so that makes it work; but the performance is out of this world compared to any car in class.

On another note, with the badge included, the car looks quite striking in person, its just different and pulls way more status and attention than a CLS or 7 series ever can...simply because -- she's a PORSCHE. That and the driving experience is more than enough to supplant the CLS which is a very beautiful car.

A benz is a benz, there are enough C-classes on the road; unless its an SLS AMG, no one will even notice it. Albeit they make AMAZING cars Benz does, very comfy.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #31
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
I have a Panamera and can definitely agree that without the Porsche badge...this car...lets just say, its decent, but the back would have issues.

The problem with other cars like the Rapide by Aston and probably the Audi A7...is that you cannot really fit adults in the back, certainly not in the Rapide...its not like Porsche wanted to have a fat rear...its needed to have a spacious back -- which in a family car is worth far more than a sleek rear.

Anyways, I can see how if you dissociate the badge...it can look off from the rear; but its an acquired taste, and its a very very high-end vehicle, so that makes it work; but the performance is out of this world compared to any car in class.

On another note, with the badge included, the car looks quite striking in person, its just different and pulls way more status and attention than a CLS or 7 series ever can...simply because -- she's a PORSCHE. That and the driving experience is more than enough to supplant the CLS which is a very beautiful car.

A benz is a benz, there are enough C-classes on the road; unless its an SLS AMG, no one will even notice it. Albeit they make AMAZING cars Benz does, very comfy.
I've driven a couple of Panameras (I also have a P-car and a dealership that's always trying to sell me a new car), and I thought the performance for a car with extra space and utility was extraordinary. It was agile and quick and the cockpit supremely comfortable. If a car doesn't have quite the design I can appreciate, I would forgo that for the performance and overall utility. It's like a sexy exotic woman with a minor wart. And anyway, while I was driving it I forgot what it looked like to others on the outside and didn't care.

Same kind of goes with my E63 AMG. Of course it's no SLS, but I didn't buy it to show off its body design (hey, it's an E Class like a million others out there.) I bought it for its performance and utility (it's my grocery getter.) Some of us actually like being incognito on the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #32
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
You obviously haven't spent enough time with either in person my friend.

The hips on the Panamera resemble the CGT quite a bit in their own way...they are flared and have that 3D hump that allows the car to look good -- this is what cannot be seen in pictures. Not just the hips, but the front lights are inspired from the CGT as is the vertical slit thing under the side mirrors; the broad look is also inspired from there. Certainly ain't from a 911.

Either way, its just an opinion. I think the Panamera looks acceptable in large part because its a Porsche, a sporting car, unique, and somewhat pricey.

True if it had a Honda or Toyota badge...you wouldn't see many takers. But such is life.

here u go:

for the hips you need to see them in person, they don't show up on 2D photographs.
I've seen plenty of Panameras in person (I check them out at my dealership all the time. Love em, as I've continually posted in the past), and I'm pretty sure we've talked about that before. I still don't think the shoulder line is anywhere near as dramatic. It's the kind of marketing the manufacturers shoot for though; to make people think there's some kind of connection between the mass-produced models and their halos/exotics. For instance, look at the new SLK. I've already read a few opinions on this forum from some apparently blind users thinking it looks like a baby SLS. It doesn't.

I did say the headlights looked similar in my previous post--one of the few singular elements on the cars that bear resemblance. The "slit" underneath the sideview mirrors is nothing more than a character line to break up the huge slabs, and I think it has very little to do with the Carrera GT's entirely functional bodypanel breaks where they fitted a massive brake vent and side intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #33
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I'll start this by saying that I personally love the Pana and have been actively looking at them for a while now.

However, just about every one of your posts talks about the badge and the status that it brings. Like in this post, you admit that without the badge that the car might be less popular and sell less. Later you state that "with the badge included" it looks striking. Wtf does that even mean?
The Porsche badge excuses what some people perceive as mediocre looks? Sorry, that's not how it works. This car is very polarizing. Some people love it, others can't stand it. Keep in mind it's just a car.

The back is by no means spacious. First off, it only seats 4 not 5 like the 7/A8/S class. Second, the rear leg room is not even in the ballpark of those cars, and is more comparable to 5/A6/E class. It is comfortable and very luxurious but it kind of fits between the two classes.

While I know it performs better than the CLS, it certainly isn't as visually appealing as one. The performance of the TT is better than anything in it's class, but if I'm not mistaken you have the V6 which while a good handler, I'm sure, it isn't any kind of performance leader.

Anyways, it is a fantastic entry in this class. It has so many positives but like any vehicle, it isn't perfect and has flaws of its own. Still may end up in my garage, but I would personally want a 4S or TT.

Btw, I thought you drove a 335? I thought it was your folks who were shopping for the full size sedan?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #34
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Speaking of the CLS63, after seeing multiple new shots of the 2011 model I think it's safe to say that it'll be the real beast of the new four-doors. I think the AMG model's genuinely good looking even if it's trying a bit too hard up front.

The only things I'm trying to cope with are the oversized taillights. Need to see them in person.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #35
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Try as they might, the thing still looks like crap.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #36
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

this matte black crap is so overdone now
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #37
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I just saw the new 2011 CLS today at the repair shop my car is at (due to an animal collision, not the HPFP Cdnrockies, lol). It wasnt the CLS63 model like in the pictures, but it did have 5-spoke aftermarket wheels on it, and I only saw the driver's side, I didnt see any damage, but the hood wasnt flush with the fenders. Meaning it was either not locked properly, or there may have been front-end damage somewhere that I couldnt see from the driver's side.

Either way, it was one very nice looking car.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #38
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just saw the new 2011 CLS today at the repair shop my car is at (due to an animal collision, not the HPFP Cdnrockies, lol). It wasnt the CLS63 model like in the pictures, but it did have 5-spoke aftermarket wheels on it, and I only saw the driver's side, I didnt see any damage, but the hood wasnt flush with the fenders. Meaning it was either not locked properly, or there may have been front-end damage somewhere that I couldnt see from the driver's side.

Either way, it was one very nice looking car.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #39
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Sorry matte paint on any big cars just don't work. Didn't work on the m5, won't work on the panamera
      02-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #40
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Nice. Goes to show the stupid paints that manufacturers offer as "limited edition" is really just $3k away. Vehicle wrap FTW!
      02-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #41
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Prefer this treatment to the matte Frozen for the 4S.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11102083...derson-germany
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #42
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Also better than the Frozen one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0