E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Brand new Ferrari 458 gets crushed by Ford pickup

02-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #45
truths2k05
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 6 SPD, 12 135i PPK DCT

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about this, a little carnuba wax and that will buff right out.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #46
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Ugly car anyways....458 that is. Don't give me the you can't afford it BS...I don't like it. Now that owner can go buy a 430 Scuderia that's a real car.
HAHA^^^ Thats what I thought see it in person... Its PURE SEX... Also the engineering of the body just makes it that much more amazing....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #47
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

If you can afford a 458, you should be able to afford a lawyer to get out of this jam. It is not what you did, it is what your lawyer can do for you!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #48
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
Agree, I can barely even enjoy my car in south Tampa with the way people drive..
Used to live in S. Tampa and they're the worst. All the stupid soccer moms on their cell phones and the workmen in pick-ups not paying attention.

FL drivers suck though. Lived in FL for 15 years and they really are just clueless.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #49
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
Used to live in S. Tampa and they're the worst. All the stupid soccer moms on their cell phones and the workmen in pick-ups not paying attention.

FL drivers suck though. Lived in FL for 15 years and they really are just clueless.
Grass is always greener elsewhere...?NOT....try driving in third world country or even China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #50
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
So maybe you don't ride a motorcycle, but the first rule of motorcycling is to keep yourself visible to other traffic at all times (as much as possible). So what you don't do is cross a double solid yellow line in a no-passing zone therefore keeping yourself visible to other traffic. The Ferrari is just like a motorcycle; it's twice as fast as most other vehicles, it can perform at higher levels than most vehicles, which can entice the driver to think he has enough power to safely pass on a double solid yellow line, and the Ferrari is small and easy lost by other drivers in traffic.

I would suspect the driver of the F150 looked left and saw a car or truck far enough away that he could pull out in front of it, then looked right, saw no on-coming traffic, looked left again saw the same car/truck as before but now while the Ferrari was passing it illegally, so the F150 driver didn't see the Ferrari because there shouldn't have been a car in the far lane illegally passing the car/truck the F150 was concentrating on and pulled out as the Ferrari was coming around the car/truck and bump goes the Ferrari hood. By law the F150 driver does not have to look for traffic where he doesn't expect it to be (it doesn't measn if he sees it that he can just cause an accident).

And no, if the Ferrari was in an illegal spot on the road, it is not that the F150 driver "still bears much of thefault of this accident"; it was entirely the Fault of Mr. Ferrari.

Many a dead motorcyclist has had the same attitude as yours...

I don't ride, but I still have an opinion. First off, keeping yourself visible is excellent advice for self-preservation, but technically it is not the law. Crossing 2+ lanes of traffic unsafely, like the F150 did, is clearly against the law, regardless of what the traffic on the road it attempted to cross was doing. Now with that said, seems like the 458 driver was being a douche, so I do subscribe to the "reap what you sow" theory. In my jaded mind I place 80% of the blame on the F150 and 20% on the 458. Just my 2 cents!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #51
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Grass is always greener elsewhere...?NOT....try driving in third world country or even China.
Thats why we would never live there.... We are talking about the US.....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #52
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Now that we've established that we both ride (a good thing because I think most cagers should take a mandatory ride on a motorcycle so that the better understand how lethal driving any type of vehicle can actually be).
True. I was a pretty good driver before, looking for motorcyclists. But after I started riding, I became even more aware of motorcyclists. Lane splitting in CA still freaks me out a little, as I don't drive that often down there (1 to 2 times a year on business.)

Quote:
Rule 1 is every car will try to run into you, act accordingly...
Quote:
Rule 1 is every car will try to run into you, act accordingly...

HOLLLLLEEEEEEEE HEEEEELLLLLL!!

Saw this on an MC forum that I read (appears to be CA, based on the license plate of the truck......)

I noticed that the right brake light on the front SUV wasn't working either. Right before he gets hit, you can see him look down into his right mirror, and you can see the SUV coming up from behind....
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #53
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

^wow!!!!!

ugh old women drivers scare the shit out of me on a daily basis.

she seemed very concerned at least.
      02-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #54
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcanadian View Post
....Crossing 2+ lanes of traffic unsafely, like the F150 did, is clearly against the law, regardless of what the traffic on the road it attempted to cross was doing.....
Turning left onto the road is not illegal in the US. Nor are you legally expected to have traffic coming at you on the wrong side of the road. The Ferrari was probably trying to make an early entry into the left turn lane over a double yellow. I see it happen all the time. The vehicle in the right lane probably was doing something to allow the pickup entry into the road (turning right apparently, but I see people stop and leave gaps all the time, and some places it's actually the law to not block the intersection). The car on the cross street then proceeds forward thinking it's clear and starts looking for traffic coming from their right, because the left should be clear. In this case it wasn't because there was a Ferrari technically going the wrong way down the street.

Now, we don't know ALL the facts, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #55
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post

Yeah ive been here almost 21 years, it is REALLY bad compared to other places in the US. Every time I stop paying attention to the other drives and let my guard down I almost ALWAYS have some asshole come close to hitting me.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #56
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
True. I was a pretty good driver before, looking for motorcyclists. But after I started riding, I became even more aware of motorcyclists. Lane splitting in CA still freaks me out a little, as I don't drive that often down there (1 to 2 times a year on business.)

Saw this on an MC forum that I read (appears to be CA, based on the license plate of the truck......)

I noticed that the right brake light on the front SUV wasn't working either. Right before he gets hit, you can see him look down into his right mirror, and you can see the SUV coming up from behind....
Wow thats crazy..!!

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #57
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

"The White Afro" is what I call danger on the streets. If the driver has one, I'm at least 2x as careful and defensive when they are close to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #58
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
"The White Afro" is what I call danger on the streets. If the driver has one, I'm at least 2x as careful and defensive when they are close to me.
that is an excellent idea
      02-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #59
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post

This makes my point perfectly. So what I saw in the video was the motorcyclist wasn't paying full attention to traffic and properly evaluating it. He left himself in the center lane where the traffic unnaturally stopped (the right lane and left lane were still open). He was following too close behind the SUV where he could not see the traffic ahead of it so he couldn't see the traffic stopping in the center lane a head of the truck, and it caught him by surpise. And he stopped too close to the SUV; once he realized the SUV was stopping suddeningly he should have changed to the left lane. Also, he may have not been keeping a good enough eye on the lady in the XB (who hit him) or evaluated her if and when he passed her because she was obvoiulsy CLUELESS - probably texting some one - (I hope he sued the living shit out of her). The accident was technically and legally her fault, but he put himself in a bad situation, which got him injured. The lady in the XB would have rear ended the SUV instead of the bike anyway, she was going way too fast to stop even to avoid the Tahoe.

Good observation on the SUV's right brakelight being out. That is a clue you use as a motorcylist to not stay behind the SUV because if you are on the right corner of the truck when it starts to stop, the traffic behind you sees your (single) taillight and mentally blends it into the SUV's light signature and then doesn't realize there is a 14 foot long motorcycle in between them and the truck.

Last edited by ENINTY; 02-08-2011 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #60
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Turning left onto the road is not illegal in the US. Nor are you legally expected to have traffic coming at you on the wrong side of the road. The Ferrari was probably trying to make an early entry into the left turn lane over a double yellow. I see it happen all the time. The vehicle in the right lane probably was doing something to allow the pickup entry into the road (turning right apparently, but I see people stop and leave gaps all the time, and some places it's actually the law to not block the intersection). The car on the cross street then proceeds forward thinking it's clear and starts looking for traffic coming from their right, because the left should be clear. In this case it wasn't because there was a Ferrari technically going the wrong way down the street.

Now, we don't know ALL the facts, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.
I think you have it correct. Based on what the witnesses said (in the paper's article) that is what happened. A car was stopped waiting to turn into the carwash parking lot (maybe the F150 was partially blocking the entrance?). Traffic was stopped so the F150 saw he could enter the far lane with no traffic coming, so he took his left and the 458 was where it shouldn't have been. Based on how the Ferrari driver was behaving in the vid, it appears to me he f'd up and knew it and was just trying to get his car towed out of there.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #61
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
that is an excellent idea
The white Afro... Haha.. In FL we call them Q Tips....

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #62
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
That is a clue you use as a motorcylist to not stay behind the SUV because if you are on the right corner of the truck when it starts to stop, the traffic behind you sees your (single) taillight and mentally blends it into the SUV's light signature and then doesn't realize there is a 14 foot long motorcycle in between them and the truck.
14 foot long motorcycle?!? WHERE??? Haha, that would be an absurdly long sport bike. Try 6 feet long.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded

Last edited by Hawkeye; 02-08-2011 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #63
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
14 foot long motorcycle?!? WHERE??? Haha, that would be an absurdly long sport bike. Try 6 feet long.
Motorcycle length (6 - 8 feet) + safe stopping distance behind the motorcycle (8 - 6 feet) = 14 feet.
Appreciate 0