E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Geronimo's bones stollen by Yale S.S.???

05-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

Geronimo's bones stollen by Yale S.S.???

Really strange article on the disappearence of Geronimo's bones from from his grave. Kind of holds some relevance w/ me since I have Navajo blood..

Quote:
HARTFORD, Conn. (May 9) - A Yale University historian has uncovered a 1918 letter that seems to lend validity to the lore that Yale University's ultra-secret Skull and Bones society swiped the skull of American Indian leader Geronimo.

The letter, written by one member of Skull and Bones to another, purports that the skull and some of the Indian leader's remains were spirited from his burial plot in Fort Sill, Okla., to a stone tomb in New Haven that serves as the club's headquarters.

According to Skull and Bones legend, members - including President Bush's grandfather, Prescott Bush - dug up Geronimo's grave when a group of Army volunteers from Yale were stationed at the fort during World War I. Geronimo died in 1909.

"The skull of the worthy Geronimo the Terrible, exhumed from its tomb at Fort Sill by your club... is now safe inside the (Tomb) together with his well worn femurs, bit & saddle horn," according to the letter, written by Winter Mead.

But Mead was not at Fort Sill and researcher Marc Wortman, who found the letter last fall, said Monday he is skeptical the bones are actually those of the famed Indian fighter.

"What I think we could probably say is they removed some skull and bones and other materials from a grave at Fort Sill," he said. "Historically, it may be impossible to prove it's Geronimo's. They believe it's from Geronimo."

Harlyn Geronimo, the great grandson of Geronimo, said he has been looking for a lawyer to sue the U.S. Army, which runs Fort Sill. Discovery of the letter could help, he said.

"It's keeping it alive and now it makes me really want to confront the issue with my attorneys," said Geronimo, of Mescalero, N.M. "If we get the remains back... and find that, for instance, that bones are missing, you know who to blame."

A portion of the letter and an accompanying story were posted Monday on the Yale Alumni Magazine's Web site.

Only 15 Yale seniors are asked to join Skull and Bones each year. Alumni include Sen. John Kerry, President William Howard Taft, numerous members of Congress, media leaders, Wall Street financiers, the scions of wealthy families and agents in the CIA.

Members swear an oath of secrecy about the group and its strange rituals, which are said to include an initiation rite in which would-be members kiss a skull.

05/09/06 08:12 EDT
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

It's not Harvard by the way but Yale - Yale has the secret society aka Skull & Bones...ok, time for me to stop breakin' balls
      05-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
It's not Harvard by the way but Yale - Yale has the secret society aka Skull & Bones...ok, time for me to stop breakin' balls
READ.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP

yeah when i was visiting yale. you can see the "skull and bones" buildings. if i remember, it had no front doors. a secret entrance somewhere. and the only way you can tell someone was there was they would place jack-o-lanterns in the windows during halloween or other holiday decorations during the holidays. it would be cool to be in-the-know but than again not really. no scratch that, it would be cool to meet the guys who rule the world .
Appreciate 0