E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > BMW to exit Formula One at end of 2009 season

07-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #45
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Very disapointed, but I think the reason is that they are moving all their R&D money into Turbo engines and F1 does not use turbo engines...

It's not like they can use the F1 technology into the newest M engine anymore
Its not about what engine they are using for their road cars. Most consider F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, ever racer drivers eventually graduated and want to race in F1. It shows what you can do with your chassis/aero and engine combination.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #46
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
proving once again that italians are all whiny mamas boys who are all talk, no walk!!!!1
BMW and Ferrari had different reasons. Ferrari threatened to quit because of the fucked up actions of Mosley and the FIA, while BMW quit because they sucked this year and lack the cajones to man up, take it in stride, and try to improve next year.
      07-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #47
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post
BMW and Ferrari had different reasons. Ferrari threatened to quit because of the fucked up actions of Mosley and the FIA, while BMW quit because they sucked this year and lack the cajones to man up, take it in stride, and try to improve next year.
+1

Ferrari threatened to quit F1 and start up their own racing based with FOTA because of the approach of the FIA's budget cap....FOTA recommended a gradual cost deduction each year. But FIA was insisting to have all teams to implement a budget cap of 30-50 mil Euros...which is impossible for major teams like Ferrari, McLaren, Renault...etc...which spends hundreds of million or even billion each year to the sport.....

BMW Sauber quit because the management didn't see any improvement to the team compare to 2006-2008 seasons...from the past three years we can see BMW Sauber is improving bit by bit...and the mangement had a target of winning the championship within three years, with this year's slump, the management cannot see (or do not want to see) any improvement and they do not feel its worth to invest more into the team anymore.....
      07-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #48
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Despite what Mario claims, they won't be sinking any more development funding into the car. They'll be back markers for the rest of the season. They may as well just quit now. Sadly, it's going to be tough for their drivers to find quality seats for next year. Peter Sauber must be pissed.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #49
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

I think the $$$ spent in other areas is a wiser choice for a company that sells cars.

I know you all hate it but come on, lets look at the economic sense here.

Does any posters run businesses that have a money sucking side that show no improvement in performance and lose money?

Look at the bleeding in the automotive market, the current recession is killing BMW.

I think it is great that they are focusing still on other motorsports at least.

Buy an M3 now before they are gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #50
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

In my book, BMW Sauber was a step back from BMW Williams, who had Montoya and Ralf in the cockpits. The talent was there with Kubica, it's just that BMW Sauber couldn't supply him with what he needed to win. Kubica is definitely on the same level as Massa, Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, etc.
      07-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #51
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I think the $$$ spent in other areas is a wiser choice for a company that sells cars.

I know you all hate it but come on, lets look at the economic sense here.

Does any posters run businesses that have a money sucking side that show no improvement in performance and lose money?

Look at the bleeding in the automotive market, the current recession is killing BMW.

I think it is great that they are focusing still on other motorsports at least.

Buy an M3 now before they are gone.
So....what about Toyota? Renault? Ferrari? Mercedes-Benz?
they either so stupid to continue compete in motorsport, or they're not selling cars?

Motorsport is a showcase of manufacturers of their capability and also brand recognition and advertisement to the public. That's why many teams like Toyota, BMW, Mercedes-Benz were not happy when FIA did not schedule any races in North America in 2009, which North America is one of their biggest market of car sales.
      07-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #52
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In my book, BMW Sauber was a step back from BMW Williams, who had Montoya and Ralf in the cockpits. The talent was there with Kubica, it's just that BMW Sauber couldn't supply him with what he needed to win. Kubica is definitely on the same level as Massa, Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, etc.
Well, also, the team was suppose to focus on developing the 2009....so they believe they "achieved" their goal is 2008, so they can give up the season and move on to 2009 and aim for a higher one....

they are "sticking" to their plan....
      07-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #53
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
So....what about Toyota? Renault? Ferrari? Mercedes-Benz?
they either so stupid to continue compete in motorsport, or they're not selling cars?

Motorsport is a showcase of manufacturers of their capability and also brand recognition and advertisement to the public. That's why many teams like Toyota, BMW, Mercedes-Benz were not happy when FIA did not schedule any races in North America in 2009, which North America is one of their biggest market of car sales.
Exactly

But I don't get it either. Why not?
      07-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #54
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly

Because Montreal didn't give enough money to Bernie, and the owner of Minneapolis track was in bad relationship with Bernie....so...goodbye North America races...
      07-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #55
Summicron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Well now they'll have Kubica and Heidfeld available to do testing on the new upcoming BMW 12-seat M powered minivan.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #56
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Losers....

Ferrari could just say "We don't need all of this, just look at Lamborghini selling just as many cars by painting them Orange" but they don't and that is passion, you accountants.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #57
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Quote:
Exactly

As noted above - Bernie, Bernie, Bernie

He's been pissing and moaning about the USA since the Grand Prix was at Watkins Glen - and that's just about the length of time that I've had little use for him.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #58
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToolGuy View Post
As noted above - Bernie, Bernie, Bernie

He's been pissing and moaning about the USA since the Grand Prix was at Watkins Glen - and that's just about the length of time that I've had little use for him.

Have Fun,
Rick
Ah, Bernie. He should join Mosley and GTFO.

I'd like to see the US Grand Prix at Road Atlanta. From what I've seen on Forza 2, it seems like it could work.
      07-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #59
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Ah, Bernie. He should join Mosley and GTFO.

I'd like to see the US Grand Prix at Road Atlanta. From what I've seen on Forza 2, it seems like it could work.
+1...but I'm afraid the Paddock area wouldn't live up to Bernie's standards... It would be great to see F1 cars on it though, fast, hairpins, elevation changes....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #60
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
and fuel pumps
1+, And for getting back former BMW directors
      07-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #61
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

mmmm....BMW DTM state side? ROFL....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #62
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...t-in-full.html

Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG....SUCK IT PAL.

BMW Motorsport, more like BMW Moneysport. What a joke.

I hate to say it, but the writing was on the wall. F1 is in shambles. I want to see a new class outside the FIA, and I nominate Schumi as the president/chairman.
      07-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #63
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Jean Todt would be good enough...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #64
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

BMW is slowing losing my loyalty.

M SUVs and now this shit?

Yes they had to cut their losses, but BMW is always talking about passion and racing but simply quit when they don't do well in F1?

IF their next M cars are shit then I'm jumping to porsche
      07-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #65
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2381 View Post
BMW is slowing losing my loyalty.

M SUVs and now this shit?

Yes they had to cut their losses, but BMW is always talking about passion and racing but simply quit when they don't do well in F1?

IF their next M cars are shit then I'm jumping to porsche
Porsche is bankrupt, they will soon be owned by VW... As far as SUV's, well they almost saved Porsche.

BMW is at least an independent company surviving in a world where the new reality says you must build over 3 million cars a year to be viable.

Porsche has been out of F1 for almost 20 years, they haven't raced in the top class at Le Mans for almost 10 years. Small fortunes were made in racing from very large fortunes. BMW is smart to cut their losses before they loose their independence.

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #66
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
Porsche is bankrupt, they will soon be owned by VW... As far as SUV's, well they almost saved Porsche.
Porshuh the car company is to become a subsidiary of VW but Porshuh the holding company retains majority ownership of VW itself.

This deal is only to get rid of the massive tab they'd run up trying to acquire 75% of VW (the percent at which German law says that you can declare it a subsidiary).

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0