E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What to do in St. John USVI

07-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

What to do in St. John USVI

I am leaving for St. John July 15th and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as far as fun things to do...and if I need to reserve or register a spot in advance...thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
The National Hurricane Center started naming hurricanes after men in hopes that none of them would get past the Virgin Islands.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
The National Hurricane Center started naming hurricanes after men in hopes that none of them would get past the Virgin Islands.

They have female hurricane names too

There's not much to do in St. John really, that place has shit load of mosquitoes, take the ferry to St. Thomas, more stuff to do there...check out Sapphire beach, nice clean beach....

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i M-Sport

Sorry, but St. Thomas is overcrowded and in some areas, a dump. I was in St. John a few years back on the Coral Bay side, which is very secluded, quiet... I spent a fair amount of time just exploring the island and beaches via a rented 4wd Jeep. If you want to be around tons of tourists and shop, take the ferry and go to St. Thomas, if you want to relax, stay on St. John. Cruz Bay (St. John) - where the ferry will drop you off - has a little bit more in the way of places to go, but there are a few good places to eat on the Coral Bay side as well.

Lameshur Bay and Little Lameshur Bay - if you can get there - are some of the most secluded beaches you will ever see. I think I saw 3 people at Little Lameshur. Both are 4wd accessible only.

I would, however, recommend taking a day boat trip to Virgin Gorda, the Baths, snorkeling, etc... boats leave in the morning from Cruz Bay - its well worth it.
      07-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

If you're staying at a hotel, call the concierge for tips on which SCUBA shop to use. If you're not certified, you can go on 'introductory' dives that stay very shallow.

If you're certified, check out dive sites 'cow' and 'calf'. I dove with Paradise Watersports, good shop, but, as always, depends on the divemaster who leads you on the dive.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurisprudent View Post
Sorry, but St. Thomas is overcrowded and in some areas, a dump. I was in St. John a few years back on the Coral Bay side, which is very secluded, quiet... I spent a fair amount of time just exploring the island and beaches via a rented 4wd Jeep. If you want to be around tons of tourists and shop, take the ferry and go to St. Thomas, if you want to relax, stay on St. John. Cruz Bay (St. John) - where the ferry will drop you off - has a little bit more in the way of places to go, but there are a few good places to eat on the Coral Bay side as well.

Lameshur Bay and Little Lameshur Bay - if you can get there - are some of the most secluded beaches you will ever see. I think I saw 3 people at Little Lameshur. Both are 4wd accessible only.

I would, however, recommend taking a day boat trip to Virgin Gorda, the Baths, snorkeling, etc... boats leave in the morning from Cruz Bay - its well worth it.

that can be said anywhere...u just need to go to the right place...if you want to be alone, go to the Sapphire beach i mentioned...when i was there, there was hardly anyone...then i went to a more rural and it was fun if you wanna drink and party there...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
They have female hurricane names too
Really? I never noticed.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Really? I never noticed.
Okay sarcasm noted...

Or Katrina must be a dude?

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #9
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
was there and there is great snorkeling and swimming. also there is a sugar plantation to tour. sorry, but can't give you names....to protect the innocent...actually it was a while ago and i don't remember any.

Ah, yes, we took an off road excursion with our rented jeep and went to Watermelon Cove I think it was.....a fun time. Try the Conch....not.

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierobins2003 View Post
was there and there is great snorkeling and swimming. also there is a sugar plantation to tour. sorry, but can't give you names....to protect the innocent...actually it was a while ago and i don't remember any.

Ah, yes, we took an off road excursion with our rented jeep and went to Watermelon Cove I think it was.....a fun time. Try the Conch....not.

Rosie
Rosie, glad to see you are still lurking around here.

St. John is one of my favorite islands. Rent a jeep, explore. Francis Bay is full of beautiful fish and snorkeling is great. Careful driving when you get the little cloud bursts in the afternoon...makes those very steep roads VERY slippery.

There is a little barbecue shack ( I think it is called Joe's) in town. Great barbecue. There is also a five star restaurant there but can't remember the name. I had a really nice rack of lamb there one new years eve.

Last edited by 155MPH; 07-03-2008 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
Rosie, glad to see you are still lurking around here.

St. John is one of my favorite islands. Rent a jeep, explore. Francis Bay is full of beautiful fish and snorkeling is great. Careful driving when you get the little cloud bursts in the afternoon...makes those very steep roads VERY slippery.

There is a little barbecue shack ( I think it is called Joe's) in town. Great barbecue. There is also a five star restaurant there but can't remember the name. I had a really nice rack of lamb there one new years eve.
we stayed in the outskirts and the goats/donkey's would wake us up every morning braying.

Take a day trip over to St. Thomas too.

Oh, nice to see you on the boards 155....stop driving your wife crazy will ya?

rosie
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Skip St. Thomas.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
ZBMW
Black Forest Bimmerphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Don't know if it is still there but there was this nice little lunch bar in Mongoose Junction. We'd stop for a lobster roll and beer or a fried fish sandwich. There was also a nice gift shop with reasonable prices. When I was there a bottle of rum was 75 cents.
Chocolate hole is a nice place to snorkel if you can get a boat.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
NBN
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: VW .:R32 08

actually BVI is MUCH BETTER!! .
Appreciate 0