BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #23
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Blue/Tan Nav/M/HK

Carmax looked inside the engine and says there is no sludge. Here are more pics that I took on that day.

I like the idea of changing the oil couple of times anyhow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
I believe I would have looked at the service history before I bought the car. While extended oil intervals are OK, 28K is over doing it. In general, BMW & MB along with most of the industry now recommends oil changes every 10K or once a year whatever comes first.

Actually the problem really isn't the oil but the filter. Oil can be used well beyond 10K if the filter is changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
You got that backwards. Quite often an oil filter can outlast the oil. In fact, Honda recommends replacing the oil filter every other oil change on many of their models. Good synthetic media oil filters can go 15,000 miles between changes.
I kind of agree with Happy Jose on this one. I'd like to hear what @Mightymousetech says on this oil filter our lasting the oil, though. He is our resident Honda tech.

Anyways... it's kind of a moot point. Everyone should be changing their oil filter AND engine oil - together at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #25
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I kind of agree with Happy Jose on this one. I'd like to hear what @Mightymousetech says on this oil filter our lasting the oil, though. He is our resident Honda tech.

Anyways... it's kind of a moot point. Everyone should be changing their oil filter AND engine oil - together at the same time.
I agree 100%. Oil change = filter change.

I've owned multiple Honda's and I can read my owner's manual. A service = oil change, B service = oil + filter change. I am not advocating this route and I would never follow it. My point was more that an oil filter can outlast the useful oil life and Honda recommends doing so. Oil in my wife's Honda usually lasts ~7,000 miles. The Mobil 1 filter I use is good for 15,000 miles according to Mobil 1.

Please see the attached MM from a Honda OM.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Honda MM.pdf (176.0 KB, 88 views)
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #26
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigsMeister View Post
Carmax looked inside the engine and says there is no sludge. Here are more pics that I took on that day.

I like the idea of changing the oil couple of times anyhow.
That engine does look pretty good. You might want to do an early oil change and run a UOA with Blackstone, along with a good inspection of your oil filter. If everything comes back good, I wouldn't bother doing another quick change.

Looks like this owner probably did their own oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #27
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep

Cool. Ordered the kit with Blackstone.

Just heard back from the shop. Getting new front brake pads & rotors. That's awesome, but, is this expected? I read somewhere that rotors are due at 30K under warranty? ... really? ... I've driven my trusty old toyota for 13 years and 225K and still no rotor replacement.

Last edited by SigsMeister; 09-11-2014 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #28
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

Just heard back from the shop. Getting new front brake pads & rotors. That's awesome, but, is this expected? I read somewhere that rotors are due at 30K under warranty? ... really? ... I've driven my trusty old toyota for 13 years and 225K and still no rotor replacement.
first of all...understand that a BMW is NOT like a Toyota...in any way. You will require quite a lot of maintenance. Your Toyota must also brake like utter shit if it has 225k on the same rotors. LOL
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Carfax is BS. My evo x was tboned shortly after being keyed and repainted...

Neither shows up on carfax like 6+ months later.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #30
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm not sure brakes are due at 30K under warranty. Brakes are covered under the free maintenance plan while under warranty, but only if they wear out. I don't think dealers will just change your brakes for you, if they are not worn out while under warranty. Though, this could be dealer dependent.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #31
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep

Well, brake pads & rotors have been replaced either under warranty or maybe as part of the 30K service. Either way, I have new brakes
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #32
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep

Latest update: Transmission leak was found in inspection and BMW replace the pan & gasket, along with the brakes & rotors.... nice!

I have to go easy on the brakes for a bit now. Anyone know what is a good brake-in period for new brakes & rotors?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #33
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I have been resisting saying this because I don't want you to worry about your car but if it really didn't have the oil changed for 28K miles it has suffered wear beyond normal. No effect may be apparent for a long time but I would expect something to show wear early as a result. Needing brakes after 30K miles also seems very soon to me. My bimmer is a manual and I drive it pretty easy most of the time but I am at 36K and brakes have plenty of life left. Wearing brakes out in 30K miles seems to me to be evidence of hard usage. Hard driving would complicate the lack of oil change. If you drive hard, in other words, you need to change oil more often, not less.

I hope there was an undocumented oil change. Otherwise, I wouldn't want this car. It's not mine, of course, but I think there is cause to be concerned if you plan to keep it a long time.
      09-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #34
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:

It's true. Honda recommends replacing the filter only every second oil change. I don't know of any dealers that actually do that though.

On our race car, I change the filter every 4 oil changes. A dirty filter filters better than a new one.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #35
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:

I believe that it'll become the norm to change the filter every service interval and the oil every second.

The reason it hasn't happened is the public's resistance.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #36
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Like I said you have it backwards. Honda recommends you just change the oil and leave the filter in. Two oil changes, one filter change.

Also, the base oil does not break down, but the additives do break down. You need to change the oil when the additives break down (TBN <1.0 and TAN >> TBN).

And by the way, I plan on keeping my car 10 years or more.
You can't even understand your own posts.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #37
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
You can't even understand your own posts.
Uh, yes I can. You are the one with reading comprehension issues. Not sure I can write it any easier for you to read.

The Honda OM says change oil, but not the filter with the A service. On the next oil change, change both oil and filter.

Finally, a good oil filter can last longer than the life of the oil, so why would you just change the filter and not the oil? By the the time a good filter needs to be removed, the oil will be past it's useful life.

Last edited by Iron Man; 09-19-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #38
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep

Here is a pic of my engine that my BMW dealer took during the VANOS recall work. Pretty clean, no sludge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #39
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is a pic of my engine that my BMW dealer took during the VANOS recall work. Pretty clean, no sludge.
That does looks pretty good. Based on how it looks, I would say again that the owner was changing their own oil (or using an independent shop) and not telling the dealer.
Appreciate 0