E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > E-Cigarettes

Closed Thread

08-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #67
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Is their a patch for gambling?
Depending on to whom one owes money, there might somewhere be a small patch of land having a rectangular hole measuring about 8' x 3.5' x 6'.

It can be somewhat pricey, but it's been proven that everyone using that patch no longer smokes, drinks or gambles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #68
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Depending on to whom one owes money, there might somewhere be a small patch of land having a rectangular hole measuring about 8' x 3.5' x 6'.

It can be somewhat pricey, but it's been proven that everyone using that patch no longer smokes, drinks or gambles.
i dont have a problem as far as losing. i play poker and at one time thought of trying to make a living at it. the issue is the time involved and all else suffers. used to play 40 plus hours a week but now try keep it to couple times a year.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #69
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Funny you should say that. I still remember a weed and alcohol induced discussion I had with my collegiate friend, Mike, on that matter. I don't remember how the conversation began, but at some point, he mentioned that it's wierd that we wash our hands after taking a piss, but not before. His reasoning was that after one showers in the morning, one's whole body is clean. Then, as one goes about one's day, one's hands encounter all manners of germs and grime. Then one goes to the loo to pee and grabs one heretofore clean willy with one's well traveled, hands, thereby transferring some share of the filth to what was a clean c*ck.

He further reasoned that his point was even more valid in warmer months when, as college kids, we wore pretty loose fitting garments, and not many of them -- boxers, pants, a shirt and shoes. Accordingly, in his mind, there was enough air flow to inhibit the growth of bacteria and whatnot. He concluded therefore, that at least in the summer, one should wash before peeing and wash after if one splashed.

For my part, I don't recall having any rebuttal. At that point in my life, and especially when I was stoned out of my mind, I was more the type, when I heard silly sh*t, to just say, "okay," and let the topic die. I also don't know what we discussed or did next. Most likely thing, given the weed, is (1) we went looking for food, or (2) we came up with some "brilliant" idea that would be the best thing since sliced bread, or (3) came up with a great solution to a problem our physics professor had posed.
But, when washing before touching what do you handle other than yourself to get onto another object after touching and washing? To wear loose garments or no garments at all is to be free.

You weren't smoking killer roach weed back then were you brah?

Last edited by Colt; 08-14-2013 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #70
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
But, when washing before touching what do you handle other than yourself to get onto another object after touching and washing? To wear loose garments or no garments at all is to be free.

You weren't smoking killer roach weed back then were you brah?
Question 1:
How the hell do I know? LOL It was his stoner premise, not mine. If Michael is anything like me, he'd say touch the fixtures to turn on the water and get soap to wash your hands, but use the towel you dry them with to open the bathroom door, tossing the towel once it's open or holding it until you pass a wastebasket.

Question 2:
We smoked all sorts of stuff but it was all good. Some had names, but most of what we could get was called Acapulco gold or Humbolt gold, or "stink weed." Stink weed by far had the best flavor, and effect. (They were probably the same thing, but who knows???) The two "golds" came in varying shades of green/brownish green and typically had little reddish/brownish bits running through it. Stink weed was bright green and sticky, and you didn't drive around with it because it was pungent well before you started to smoke it. Occasionally we'd come across something called "dirt weed" that was just all brown and tasted somewhat bitter.

All the weed we got was good. The golds gave a righteously powerful buzz and was good to do at parties, parties, picnics, tailgates and steeplechases. Stink weed was just ridiculously potent. First you were really high in a goofy, giddy way. Then you were asleep. There wasn't much in between. Dirt weed gave a good buzz too, but much milder in overall intensity. It was good for late, weeknight BS-ing with your close friends and resulted in a lot of eating and silly and/or reflective conversations such as the one I mentioned above. It was also good at other times if you had nothing else.

Regardless of the type, you would buy a full sandwich bag of it for $30-$50, and it would last you and all your friends about a week. We smoked pipes and joints at parties and used a bong if just one or two friends chillin'. Pretty much all weed was good back in the '70s and '80s. I'm glad I don't toke any more now than once or twice a year, if that; weed is far too expensive these days.

Don't get me wrong, I like the feeling, but my interest in smoking it just waned for no reason in particular. I just realized one day that I'd not smoked a bowl for what had been six or more months. I suspect the same thing happened with my long term friends for they rarely ever ever even suggest taking a toke. Now, if those friends are around at a party during the holidays, a class reunion, or some other suitable occasion, and someone suggests it, I'll get high with them as long as I'm free to sleep in the next morning. That happens once or twice every 12-18 months.

Legally speaking, I think weed should should be legal the same way it is in Holland. It's clearly not addictive. I've never seen or heard of a stoned person driving their car too fast and losing control. I've never known of a stoned person who caused anything like the harm that results from driving on alcohol. Stoned people also don't generally start or join bar fights.

Lastly, I think backroom politics, probably not business, would be better conducted over a doobie than over a cocktail. Indeed, it's crossed my mind that one way to end terrorism is for the parties involved to sit down with some Doritos, Cheetos, pizza and beer and smoke a bowl or two. I think it would work, quite frankly. I can think of several times when I found myself getting high with someone whom I really didn't like (other mutual friends were also there, of course), but after getting high together, though I wouldn't say we became tight, we had each moved from " f*ck that mother-F !! " to so and so "can be an ass sometimes, but s/he isn't so bad once you get to know him/her."

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #71
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdude5150 View Post

Hows your diet Tony?
Most of the time, very good. It's best when I'm home in DC or in Tokyo. At home because I'm fully in control of what I eat and I know the chefs at the restaurants where I eat out. Tokyo because everything I want to eat when I'm there is healthy. When I'm in London, Shenzhen, Paris or any number of US cities, it varies from okay to good, depending on the circumstances.

Breakfast - nearly always the same regardless of where I am:
  • Oatmeal with dried or fresh fruit, and brown sugar.
  • Protein -- ideally steamed, microwaved or poached fish

Snack during my a.m. workout - Cliff bar or a candy bar right before weight lifting and Vitamin Water or just water through the whole workout period.

Post work-out meal - depends on where I am but I always have a banana and something else that's heavy on the protein:
  • Chipotle burrito bowl - black beans, double chicken, corn salsa, tomato salsa, lemon juice and nothing else (this is by far my favorite thing to have at this meal)
  • Protein shake -- MetRx chocolate is the only one I've tried except for the ones they make at a health food store in L.A. I don't recall the name of it, but it's next door to the L.A. Fitness on Santa Monica Blvd. That place made/makes (?) awesome protein shakes in a ton of flavors and with great fresh fruit. You can pick something from their menu or design your own. I discovered that place when I worked a project in L.A. for 15 months and had a corporate apartment in the West Hollywood Hills. If that location is convenient for you, I highly recommend their shakes.
  • Fish/seafood, chicken, turkey, or lean pork steamed, poached, broiled, grilled, or baked.
Lunch - this one is a toss up when I'm on the road. It depends on whether lunch is a working lunch or just functional nutrition. Working lunches I sort of have to figure out something based on whats on the menu and as the chef to modify something for me or just do something very simple with an ingredient that's on his menu. My ability to do that though depends on how long my colleagues and I are planning for lunch and whatnot. Otherwise it's whatever I come by that's healthy or, if my hotel room has a kitchenette, it'll be something I bring to the office. For my bag lunches the most common things are:
  • PB&J sandwiches (2, maybe 2.5 or 3. I always make/take 3 if I'm having them that day)
  • Fresh fish that I'll microwave in the office
  • Raw veggies -- I like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, and peas best
  • Fresh fruit -- what ever is ripe and in season at the time. Only fruit I never include is tomato
  • Something left over from the prior night's dinner if I cooked in the room. Most often this will be some sort of whole wheat pasta dish that's good hot or cold.

Mid-afternoon meal/snack - Mid-afternoon is something of a misnomer because roughly an hour after lunch I start "grazing." My typical choices are:
  • Nuts - any kind except cashews
  • fresh fruit
  • spinach salads with balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil
  • raw veggies
  • What's left of lunch's PB&J

Dinner - works more or less the same as lunch. If I'm going to be indulgent, this is the meal where it happens. I really do love food and I'm a fair cook. If I'm just having dinner alone or with my staff, I can keep on my regimen. If I'm dining out with peers and clients, I tend to just go with the flow. I make less of a fuss about having a chef do something special for me when I'm out of town in such a situation. In DC, if I'm committed to keeping on track, I put in my request with the chef when I make the reservation. For dessert, I always have sorbet, fresh fruit or, occasionally, creme brulee.

Remaining food consumption - I pretty much graze my way through the rest of the evening until I go to bed. This food is basically the same thing I mentioned above about grazing. It's not a lot of food; just nibbling.

Fluids - I mostly drink water all day and with most meals (as close as I can get to 64 oz.). I'll have wine with dinner. I like wine. A few times a year, I'll have a Scotch on the rocks. I can tell you when I was last seriously drunk: I was a first year college student and it was during the Fall rush. (There's a story there, but that'll have to be another post.)

That's my regular approach to eating. Of course there are times when I just say "f*ck that sh*t, I'm eating what I please." I can tell you now when most of those times are:
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas dinner and some holiday parties
  • New Year's dinner
  • Easter
  • Memorial Day - summer season opening backyard beach party
  • July 4th Cookout
  • Labor day - summer season closing backyard beach party
  • Family member birthdays, including mine
  • Anytime Mother actually cooks and I end up being in her house at dinner time (this happens only 2 or 3 times a year) -- I try to time my comings and goings to miss dinner when she's of a mind to cook. She cooks Paula Dean style. It's delicious and there's no shortage of food, but it's not on the diet plan.
My diet plan is the same one my trainer got me started on over a decade ago. When I first engaged him, our very first session together began with him explaining food and how the body uses it to me. He also explained to me what he thought was the right mix of fat, protein, and carbs given my fitness goals. (I only had one goal: I told him I want to look awesome in my birth-day suit and that I could not care less about actually being healthy, strong, or being able to do some sporting activity better than anyone else.)

We then took a trip to the grocery store. There taught me how to read and use the information on food labels so that I would know how to shop for food and so I'd know what I should or shouldn't eat at any given meal. Then he gave me a packet of materials containing lists of food ingredients and their caloric, fat, protein and nutritional value. He taught me about high and low value foods. Lastly, he showed me how to compose a daily meal diary.

For the first three months, we reviewed my diary every week and he would give me pointers and tips about what was good, what was working, what wasn't, and so on. I don't keep a diary these days because I learned the lessons I needed to from having done it for months on end years ago. Assuming you know what you're doing with it, it works as a tool.

My diet works for what I need it to do. I eat food I like eating and that tastes good to me. I eat an assortment of items from the major food groups, though dairy may be slightly under represented. I eat food that fits my activity level. I eat food that keeps the inner tube off my waistline. And yes, I look really good naked. (Not that I think you care, but that was the goal, so...) There's a TV commercial that has some middle aged doctor promoting some sort of supplement for men. He looks sort of Mediterranean, has tawny skin and salt and pepper hair. I'm not as bulky and large framed as he appears to be, but my body is pretty much the same except that at varying points in the year, my six pack becomes a four-pack. I'm 6'0" tall, 190 lbs this a.m. and have a 31" waist.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #72
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Question 1:
How the hell do I know? LOL It was his stoner premise, not mine. If Michael is anything like me, he'd say touch the fixtures to turn on the water and get soap to wash your hands, but use the towel you dry them with to open the bathroom door, tossing the towel once it's open or holding it until you pass a wastebasket.

Question 2:
We smoked all sorts of stuff but it was all good. Some had names, but most of what we could get was called Acapulco gold or Humbolt gold, or "stink weed." Stink weed by far had the best flavor, and effect. (They were probably the same thing, but who knows???) The two "golds" came in varying shades of green/brownish green and typically had little reddish/brownish bits running through it. Stink weed was bright green and sticky, and you didn't drive around with it because it was pungent well before you started to smoke it. Occasionally we'd come across something called "dirt weed" that was just all brown and tasted somewhat bitter.

All the weed we got was good. The golds gave a righteously powerful buzz and was good to do at parties, parties, picnics, tailgates and steeplechases. Stink weed was just ridiculously potent. First you were really high in a goofy, giddy way. Then you were asleep. There wasn't much in between. Dirt weed gave a good buzz too, but much milder in overall intensity. It was good for late, weeknight BS-ing with your close friends and resulted in a lot of eating and silly and/or reflective conversations such as the one I mentioned above. It was also good at other times if you had nothing else.

Regardless of the type, you would buy a full sandwich bag of it for $30-$50, and it would last you and all your friends about a week. We smoked pipes and joints at parties and used a bong if just one or two friends chillin'. Pretty much all weed was good back in the '70s and '80s. I'm glad I don't toke any more now than once or twice a year, if that; weed is far too expensive these days.

Don't get me wrong, I like the feeling, but my interest in smoking it just waned for no reason in particular. I just realized one day that I'd not smoked a bowl for what had been six or more months. I suspect the same thing happened with my long term friends for they rarely ever ever even suggest taking a toke. Now, if those friends are around at a party during the holidays, a class reunion, or some other suitable occasion, and someone suggests it, I'll get high with them as long as I'm free to sleep in the next morning. That happens once or twice every 12-18 months.

Legally speaking, I think weed should should be legal the same way it is in Holland. It's clearly not addictive. I've never seen or heard of a stoned person driving their car too fast and losing control. I've never known of a stoned person who caused anything like the harm that results from driving on alcohol. Stoned people also don't generally start or join bar fights.

Lastly, I think backroom politics, probably not business, would be better conducted over a doobie than over a cocktail. Indeed, it's crossed my mind that one way to end terrorism is for the parties involved to sit down with some Doritos, Cheetos, pizza and beer and smoke a bowl or two. I think it would work, quite frankly. I can think of several times when I found myself getting high with someone whom I really didn't like (other mutual friends were also there, of course), but after getting high together, though I wouldn't say we became tight, we had each moved from " f*ck that mother-F !! " to so and so "can be an ass sometimes, but s/he isn't so bad once you get to know him/her."

All the best.
This is by far the best novel I have ever read

Agreed my good sir! And yea these days it is expensive. But I guess that's supply/demand for ya...a quarter is like 100-120 now depending on how good it is
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #73
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
This is by far the best novel I have ever read

Agreed my good sir! And yea these days it is expensive. But I guess that's supply/demand for ya...a quarter is like 100-120 now depending on how good it is
It could be supply and demand, but it's hard to say since more weed is grown these days and presumably more folks want some. Colorado's and other states' relaxation of its legal status probably hasn't helped keep prices down as now casual users/sellers in those locales have to compete with the values set at shops having the right to sell it legally.

More likely it's greed and inflation that's driven the price up. My 2¢.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #74
kumkum
India
Rep
Drives: Audi A4, Mercedes Benz A Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I know its kind of cliche but I can quit whenever I want. Physically I have no problem doing it. Just don't really want to but wife doesn't like it. I start every spring and quit every fall.
That's a good thing that you are not addicted with cigarette. But I want it to know , why you keep on quitting and starting to take it. It's not a good thing that you also know very well. I think you should quit smoking and never start it again.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #75
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Diagnosed next week? I'd keep smoking if it wasn't too painful to do so. Most folks thusly diagnosed don't last more than a year, or at least that's my understanding.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I just wanted to provide more quantifiable data around this comment.

There are two types of lung cancer: Small Cell Lung Cancer and Non Small Cell Lung Cancer. Survival rates and prognosis are typically measured to the 5 year mark for each stage:
IA - 49%
IB - 45%
IIA - 30%
IIB - 31%
IIIA -14%
IIIB - 5%
IV - 1% - now these later stages are when your cancer has metastasized

A large portion of those who are diagnosed with lung cancer are found in middle stages due to the indolent nature of their (adeno)carcinoma. and treatment then moves away from a curable intent and becomes more palliative.
Of 208,000 people diagnosed with NSCLC each year about 158,000 of them will die within 5 years.

In regard to e-cigs, I'm not trying to judge anyone who chooses to smoke them. What I will tell you is that the FDA is challenging the makers to prove their claims that they are indeed safer than traditional cigarettes. The FDA will soon be regulating these along with smokeless tobacco, hookah, etc. and when that happens, the prices will shoot through the roof I guarantee. So stock up now before the regulations come down.
Don't believe me? Read here: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm394667.htm

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-05-2014 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 03:24 AM   #76
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

FYI:
So I came across this show on the Aljazeera America network called TechKnow. They have a show that was dedicated heavily to e-cigarettes. I don' t know if you can watch the episode online, but some of the key things they pointed out were:
  • The vapor that is created by the e-cigs isn't at all just water vapor. It contains a swarm of metals that seem (based on what I glean from the show) to come from the filter.
  • The FDA has commissioned a study to determine the effects of e-cigs.
  • It appears that e-cigs are healthier than traditional cigarettes, but that's not to say yet whether they are specifically unhealthy for either the smoker or the people in the vicinity of the smoker.
One thing that I took from the show is that there are a lot of folks who apparently enjoy smoking -- be it e-cigs or traditional cigs. I guess that isn't really surprising as I know literally hundreds of "closet" smokers and folks who claim to "only smoke when they [whatever]."

Now although I am a smoker, I have the same thing to say to anyone whose retort about smoking nicotine products is something akin to "Oh, I only smoke when...." My response to them is always the same: Fool, do you really think anyone started out by smoking a pack a day?

The one thing I can say about my smoking is that it's taught me that nicotine is likely the most addictive thing out there. People seem able to kick other drug and alcohol addictions with far more success than do folks who smoke.

Smokers are a funny bunch. I've heard lots of them say, "Oh, I can quit whenever I want." Those folks offer some example of how they stopped for X years at some point, but now they have a smoke just occasionally. To those folks, my response is, "Well, by my reckoning, you have yet to quit seeing as 'quitting' means never smoking again. It does not mean taking a long hiatus." I suppose other types of addicts may say the same sort of thing, but my thinking about those folks/addictions is the same as that about smoking.

All the best

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 03:53 AM   #77
JesseJames
JC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93

More dangerous for you then a normal cig apparently??
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #78
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
More dangerous for you then a normal cig apparently??
I didn't get that impression, but the story's narrator and the scientists interviewed seem all to think the jury's still out on that point.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #79
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 SSII Metallic

Quote:
Most of the time, very good. It's best when I'm home in DC or in Tokyo. At home because I'm fully in control of what I eat and I know the chefs at the restaurants where I eat out. Tokyo because everything I want to eat when I'm there is healthy. When I'm in London, Shenzhen, Paris or any number of US cities, it varies from okay to good, depending on the circumstances.

Breakfast - nearly always the same regardless of where I am:
  • Oatmeal with dried or fresh fruit, and brown sugar.
  • Protein -- ideally steamed, microwaved or poached fish

Snack during my a.m. workout - Cliff bar or a candy bar right before weight lifting and Vitamin Water or just water through the whole workout period.

Post work-out meal - depends on where I am but I always have a banana and something else that's heavy on the protein:
  • Chipotle burrito bowl - black beans, double chicken, corn salsa, tomato salsa, lemon juice and nothing else (this is by far my favorite thing to have at this meal)
  • Protein shake -- MetRx chocolate is the only one I've tried except for the ones they make at a health food store in L.A. I don't recall the name of it, but it's next door to the L.A. Fitness on Santa Monica Blvd. That place made/makes (?) awesome protein shakes in a ton of flavors and with great fresh fruit. You can pick something from their menu or design your own. I discovered that place when I worked a project in L.A. for 15 months and had a corporate apartment in the West Hollywood Hills. If that location is convenient for you, I highly recommend their shakes.
  • Fish/seafood, chicken, turkey, or lean pork steamed, poached, broiled, grilled, or baked.
Lunch - this one is a toss up when I'm on the road. It depends on whether lunch is a working lunch or just functional nutrition. Working lunches I sort of have to figure out something based on whats on the menu and as the chef to modify something for me or just do something very simple with an ingredient that's on his menu. My ability to do that though depends on how long my colleagues and I are planning for lunch and whatnot. Otherwise it's whatever I come by that's healthy or, if my hotel room has a kitchenette, it'll be something I bring to the office. For my bag lunches the most common things are:
  • PB&J sandwiches (2, maybe 2.5 or 3. I always make/take 3 if I'm having them that day)
  • Fresh fish that I'll microwave in the office
  • Raw veggies -- I like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, and peas best
  • Fresh fruit -- what ever is ripe and in season at the time. Only fruit I never include is tomato
  • Something left over from the prior night's dinner if I cooked in the room. Most often this will be some sort of whole wheat pasta dish that's good hot or cold.

Mid-afternoon meal/snack - Mid-afternoon is something of a misnomer because roughly an hour after lunch I start "grazing." My typical choices are:
  • Nuts - any kind except cashews
  • fresh fruit
  • spinach salads with balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil
  • raw veggies
  • What's left of lunch's PB&J

Dinner - works more or less the same as lunch. If I'm going to be indulgent, this is the meal where it happens. I really do love food and I'm a fair cook. If I'm just having dinner alone or with my staff, I can keep on my regimen. If I'm dining out with peers and clients, I tend to just go with the flow. I make less of a fuss about having a chef do something special for me when I'm out of town in such a situation. In DC, if I'm committed to keeping on track, I put in my request with the chef when I make the reservation. For dessert, I always have sorbet, fresh fruit or, occasionally, creme brulee.

Remaining food consumption - I pretty much graze my way through the rest of the evening until I go to bed. This food is basically the same thing I mentioned above about grazing. It's not a lot of food; just nibbling.

Fluids - I mostly drink water all day and with most meals (as close as I can get to 64 oz.). I'll have wine with dinner. I like wine. A few times a year, I'll have a Scotch on the rocks. I can tell you when I was last seriously drunk: I was a first year college student and it was during the Fall rush. (There's a story there, but that'll have to be another post.)

That's my regular approach to eating. Of course there are times when I just say "f*ck that sh*t, I'm eating what I please." I can tell you now when most of those times are:
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas dinner and some holiday parties
  • New Year's dinner
  • Easter
  • Memorial Day - summer season opening backyard beach party
  • July 4th Cookout
  • Labor day - summer season closing backyard beach party
  • Family member birthdays, including mine
  • Anytime Mother actually cooks and I end up being in her house at dinner time (this happens only 2 or 3 times a year) -- I try to time my comings and goings to miss dinner when she's of a mind to cook. She cooks Paula Dean style. It's delicious and there's no shortage of food, but it's not on the diet plan.
My diet plan is the same one my trainer got me started on over a decade ago. When I first engaged him, our very first session together began with him explaining food and how the body uses it to me. He also explained to me what he thought was the right mix of fat, protein, and carbs given my fitness goals. (I only had one goal: I told him I want to look awesome in my birth-day suit and that I could not care less about actually being healthy, strong, or being able to do some sporting activity better than anyone else.)

We then took a trip to the grocery store. There taught me how to read and use the information on food labels so that I would know how to shop for food and so I'd know what I should or shouldn't eat at any given meal. Then he gave me a packet of materials containing lists of food ingredients and their caloric, fat, protein and nutritional value. He taught me about high and low value foods. Lastly, he showed me how to compose a daily meal diary.

For the first three months, we reviewed my diary every week and he would give me pointers and tips about what was good, what was working, what wasn't, and so on. I don't keep a diary these days because I learned the lessons I needed to from having done it for months on end years ago. Assuming you know what you're doing with it, it works as a tool.

My diet works for what I need it to do. I eat food I like eating and that tastes good to me. I eat an assortment of items from the major food groups, though dairy may be slightly under represented. I eat food that fits my activity level. I eat food that keeps the inner tube off my waistline. And yes, I look really good naked. (Not that I think you care, but that was the goal, so...) There's a TV commercial that has some middle aged doctor promoting some sort of supplement for men. He looks sort of Mediterranean, has tawny skin and salt and pepper hair. I'm not as bulky and large framed as he appears to be, but my body is pretty much the same except that at varying points in the year, my six pack becomes a four-pack. I'm 6'0" tall, 190 lbs this a.m. and have a 31" waist.
Dude. This is just an absolutely epic Internet forum post. The pompousness is truly something special. Can we expect a follow up article about your upcoming full body wax? How about a lengthy description of how much time you spend in front of the mirror? Is Patrick Bateman your role model?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #80
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Federer View Post
Dude. This is just an absolutely epic Internet forum post. The pompousness is truly something special. Can we expect a follow up article about your upcoming full body wax? How about a lengthy description of how much time you spend in front of the mirror? Is Patrick Bateman your role model?
Tony2009 is the best! I used to think the same thing you do about his epic posts, but since I started to read them with a very thick British accent in my mind, I enjoy his posts way more than most.

I'm looking forward to a Tony2009 -style post about body waxing (unless I've missed that one)
Closed Thread