E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > How come mercedes-benz is so far ahead of bmw?

11-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #177
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
first time i see this thread. obviously created before the 335, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 03:13 AM   #178
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

These Mercedes vs BMW arguments can go on FOREVER

Neither is better than the other

They cater to different customers, and do so VERY WELL.

Both companies make excellent cars for DIFFERENT REASONS
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #179
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5love View Post
These Mercedes vs BMW arguments can go on FOREVER

Neither is better than the other

They cater to different customers, and do so VERY WELL.

Both companies make excellent cars for DIFFERENT REASONS
+1
Their target audience is different, so therefor so is their final product.
      01-14-2008, 01:43 AM   #180
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
I'm not really into heated flame warish debates but here's something.

Just a general observation I've found about car makers: So each car maker has its flagship car or line of cars or certain style of cars right? For BMW its practical sports cars, MB its luxury, Lexus is cushy, and Porsche is feather weight balls to the wall performance. Now look to these manufacturers trucks.

When my parents bought an M-class a couple years back I was incredibly disappointed. The only thing luxurious about it was the MB symbol. It was a plastic piece of garbage that broke every two minutes. My first bimmer (not bimmer drive but bimmer....own) was an X5 4.4i and that thing was a beast. It performed like a car and was quite reliable. It felt solid, it drove solid, you were attached to the road. BMW stuck to its philosophy through a different type of vehicle. I've also driven the X3 and feel the same way. The G-class is a great vehicle but it costs far too much.

In terms of their cars...my parents own an old S600 which is nice to sit in but not very fun to drive (besides the feeling of a V12 under you). My dad had an SL600 and it was just obnoxiously noisy. My brother had a CLK for a while and that was sort of fun but nothing special. A friend of ours has an SLR and he basically said it's like taking a 360 Modena and crashing it into the S600.....performance with the feeling of a Lexus....why would anyone want that? Personally I like the philosophy of Ferrari and the like where it should actually hurt to drive a performance car

My dad was looking to replace his most recent Range Rover with a more performance oriented truck and we had a BMW (me) vs Porsche (my brother who drives an Audi) argument for months. He finally ended up with the Porsche Cayenne S (because he didn't like the shifter in the X5 ). Now OK, the thing does well in a straight line....no really I think I shat myself the first time I hit the pedal in that car. But, when going around a corner it's no longer a Porsche, it's a bottom level VW at best. And what's more....what the hell is the point of an automatic trunk door....I mean really are you that lazy? Why do car makers stray from their fortes to meet customer demand they don't need?

So back to the topic at hand, I think the problem with posting a "Why is Mercedes so much better than BMW" in a BMW forum is that BMW owners want the feel of a BMW. Mercedes owners want the feel of a Mercedes.....they're COMPLETELY different.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #181
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
I'm not really into heated flame warish debates but here's something.

Just a general observation I've found about car makers: So each car maker has its flagship car or line of cars or certain style of cars right? For BMW its practical sports cars, MB its luxury, Lexus is cushy, and Porsche is feather weight balls to the wall performance. Now look to these manufacturers trucks.

When my parents bought an M-class a couple years back I was incredibly disappointed. The only thing luxurious about it was the MB symbol. It was a plastic piece of garbage that broke every two minutes. My first bimmer (not bimmer drive but bimmer....own) was an X5 4.4i and that thing was a beast. It performed like a car and was quite reliable. It felt solid, it drove solid, you were attached to the road. BMW stuck to its philosophy through a different type of vehicle. I've also driven the X3 and feel the same way. The G-class is a great vehicle but it costs far too much.

In terms of their cars...my parents own an old S600 which is nice to sit in but not very fun to drive (besides the feeling of a V12 under you). My dad had an SL600 and it was just obnoxiously noisy. My brother had a CLK for a while and that was sort of fun but nothing special. A friend of ours has an SLR and he basically said it's like taking a 360 Modena and crashing it into the S600.....performance with the feeling of a Lexus....why would anyone want that? Personally I like the philosophy of Ferrari and the like where it should actually hurt to drive a performance car

My dad was looking to replace his most recent Range Rover with a more performance oriented truck and we had a BMW (me) vs Porsche (my brother who drives an Audi) argument for months. He finally ended up with the Porsche Cayenne S (because he didn't like the shifter in the X5 ). Now OK, the thing does well in a straight line....no really I think I shat myself the first time I hit the pedal in that car. But, when going around a corner it's no longer a Porsche, it's a bottom level VW at best. And what's more....what the hell is the point of an automatic trunk door....I mean really are you that lazy? Why do car makers stray from their fortes to meet customer demand they don't need?

So back to the topic at hand, I think the problem with posting a "Why is Mercedes so much better than BMW" in a BMW forum is that BMW owners want the feel of a BMW. Mercedes owners want the feel of a Mercedes.....they're COMPLETELY different.
I feel this guy said it all. For those that want the feel of a BMW they get the BMW. For those that want the feel of a MB, they get the MB. Its not a matter of which car is better. Its which car suits the individual. My dad wanted a perforamance orientated car so he just pick ups a 535, I picked up a 335xi coupe. My father in law wanted a cushy ride, so he got the lexus. And my brother in law.....well he doesnt know what the f&*k he wants but he drives a G35. Hopefully I can convince him to jump into a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #182
bojinns
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #183
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

*steals popcorn*

Clearly the topic's been beaten to death. BMW caters to the driving experience whereas MB targets the luxury crowd. Nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #184
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire6000 View Post
BTW: wats with all this flaming and talk of drugs? i was under the impression that this was a mature board community.
The 3 series owners are the exception to this.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #185
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Oh indeed . lol
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #186
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Not all, but many, yes.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #187
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
driver's car vs rider's car

apples vs oranges

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0