E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Electric M test car pics & interview with Dirk Häcker, BMW M Head of Development

08-31-2022, 09:23 PM   #23
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440i6MT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
These cars will be too heavy and not enjoyable. Vehicle dynamics are about more than how fast a car goes around a track. The feedback, chassis/steering feel and crisp handling is what matters in a sports car. I don't want a pig weighing 4-5000lbs, I was a light, nimble car that has ample power, but is communicative.
Bigot.
Just kidding.
You will accept it as is or the gulag awaits

The grille should be larger, and the weight should be greater, in my opinion. I don't see why not. Styling and safety?
Having owned a G80, I loved the looks of it. Sure it could've lost 300lbs and a DCT to replace the ZF8 all with AWD to boot, but that won't happen.

I've driven many cars and part of the fun is how they handle rather than simply acceleration and raw power. My current car, a 2022 Boxster GTS makes less power but has no turbos, is incredibly direct, you feel everything (in a good way) and most importantly, it's fun at all speeds. I didn't get that with my M3 sadly despite liking the car.

I know you're being funny, but I'm worried at what BMW is turning into and I have generally liked most of their design language sans the split headlights.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN16536.00
nicksm3968.50
BigHunk269.50
      08-31-2022, 09:28 PM   #24
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

So this would be the I4M Gran Coupe? Making it a step up over the I4M50?

That would put this close to 700hp range?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:42 PM   #25
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
The digital watch revolutionized timekeeping when it was launched in the 70s. Much more accurate than mechanical watches, runs reliably and only needs battery changes every few years, and introduced tons of new features like lights etc (calculator anyone?).

Funny how old tech mechanical watches are just getting more and more expensive and special tho.
This is the best analogy ever. Nobody aspires to a digital watch. But it probably felt like the coolest, most futuristic thing ever when it first came out to a lot of people.
It somehow is a good analogy, but at the same time it's not. There are two big huge factors that make the difference here.
One main reason that mechanical watches are that much desired is hand craftsmanship, rarity and thst they are mainly high luxury goods.

But the even bigger factor are governments and regulations. Nobody forced watch manufacturers to build digital watches, it was driven by new technology and possibilities to have more features in a watch, in the end people realized that they don't need all this on their wrists.

But car manufacturers are forced by regulations and governments to go the EV way. They would be more than happy to go on with loud and high volume engines and just make a lot of money without having to invest in new facilities and manufacturing tools and processes. But the world has changed, so cars are changing….
This analogy isn't complete yet, because the digital watch would have to be twice the weight of a conventional time piece.

A fully electric M car is still years away, but perhaps Clarkson said it best when testing an i8 with an F80. The F80 was the world's best type writer, and the i8 was the first lap top. Even in its infant state, it was beyond the abilities of a typewriter.

I don't know, we'll see where this all goes.
Dr.Deep1827.00
      08-31-2022, 10:43 PM   #26
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Ok they fixed the lines on this car and clearly cleaned it up.
Especially the sides. Good transitions into the fender flares. very good!!
Looks better than a g80 to me!
Going to stop there 😁
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 10:53 PM   #27
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
It's really strange to see an electric car with front grills. Cooling of the batteries?

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:05 PM   #28
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Interesting so in about 5 years that is kinda consistent with the next evolution of battery tech, so we will see lighter weight with range about 500 km in a car like this due to the performance and probably even better dynamics then before due to the balancing and weight being below. Probably gonna be my next switch after the M50.

They would also probably be able to be selective if its quad engine meaning four smaller engines would give the driver the ability to switch between RWD, AWD or FWD for whatever reason you would want FWD.

That would translate to at least 650+ km in a "regular" none M car or an M-Performance car. So they hiding something from us here. I'm thinking we are probably gonna see the first iteration of some form of solid state batteries here, one could hope obviously nothing is for certain but that would be a great way to celebrate its arrival in a proper good way. And i doubt it will be the M4 we will see as shown here or at least the design will have changed by that time probably. Sense cars like these are planned 5-10 years in advance.

Exiting times indeed.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:45 PM   #29
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Here in Australia they were only saying on the news yesterday that our electrical power supply is at critical levels and only expected to worsen over the next few years. What's going up happen when everyone plugs in their cars at night to charge, when we can't even keep lights and air conditioning on 🤔

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 5
RoGo330i142.50
Limegrntaln13469.00
DavidXJ663.00
AmuroRay2282.50
      09-01-2022, 12:03 AM   #30
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
This analogy isn't complete yet, because the digital watch would have to be twice the weight of a conventional time piece.

A fully electric M car is still years away, but perhaps Clarkson said it best when testing an i8 with an F80. The F80 was the world's best type writer, and the i8 was the first lap top. Even in its infant state, it was beyond the abilities of a typewriter.

I don't know, we'll see where this all goes.
The question is: Isn‘t the typewriter enough to fulfill the purpose? What do we really need if we decide for an M car? Emotions, performance, stability, safety! All that you get also with the traditional mix and combustion engines. Who needs all the new fancy features of an EV in that segment? I do not see in which direction this can be a win for they enthusiastic buyer. It is just Zeitgeist to decide for an EV as an M car, not an advantage.

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 12:30 AM   #31
karlrich1010
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 COMP XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbBender'90 View Post
You mean to tell me your not going to fix the front end design when you have a chance to recourse? Say no more BMW
The current front end is obviously selling quite well otherwise im sure they would have revised it
Appreciate 2
masd79470.00
      09-01-2022, 01:13 AM   #32
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_z4mc1m_oz View Post
Here in Australia they were only saying on the news yesterday that our electrical power supply is at critical levels and only expected to worsen over the next few years. What's going up happen when everyone plugs in their cars at night to charge, when we can't even keep lights and air conditioning on 🤔
It's going to have to be funded and solved. It's not an intractable problem, just one without funding right now in many places. Once the donor class has to endure rolling blackouts they will build infrastructure.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 01:18 AM   #33
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
The question is: Isn‘t the typewriter enough to fulfill the purpose? What do we really need if we decide for an M car? Emotions, performance, stability, safety! All that you get also with the traditional mix and combustion engines. Who needs all the new fancy features of an EV in that segment? I do not see in which direction this can be a win for they enthusiastic buyer. It is just Zeitgeist to decide for an EV as an M car, not an advantage.
Why give up before experiencing it and trying? Most EV have not even tried to be actual sports cars.

Let's be honest. Most BMWs are already fat, numb, and have fake sound, so why not skip the turbo lag and just go all the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlrich1010 View Post
The current front end is obviously selling quite well otherwise im sure they would have revised it
I'm not so sure about that. The car sells because it's good. I don't think the front end is scaring people away, but I doubt it's dropping any jaws and bringing in people on looks alone. They are committed to this language for a while, they would never turn back this fast even if the sales were bad.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 02:18 AM   #34
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. The car sells because it's good. I don't think the front end is scaring people away, but I doubt it's dropping any jaws and bringing in people on looks alone. They are committed to this language for a while, they would never turn back this fast even if the sales were bad.
While i wasnt sold on the looks on release and couldnt imagine buying this car at first, i did later on.
And yes, there are few (yes, few) who still dislike the front end when they see my M4. Most really like it and it has absolutely better feedback in terms of looks than my previous M2c had.
I agree, the front isnt for everyone. But dont underestimate the amount of ppl who still very much like it. It sells well.

Incoming: 2023 F40 M135i xDrive in indiv. Tansanite Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 02:25 AM   #35
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
It's a pipe dream. The whole EV fantasy is packaged and sold to any/everybody who will buy into it, but it isn't designed to ever see fruition (…just like California's "Bullet Train").

Quote:
Quote:
It's going to have to be funded and solved. It's not an intractable problem, just one without funding right now in many places. Once the donor class has to endure rolling blackouts they will build infrastructure.
The donor class will never endure rolling black outs. Don't be silly!
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2022, 02:25 AM   #36
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
So, is this an iM3, an Mi3 or an M3i?

Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      09-01-2022, 04:31 AM   #37
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbBender'90 View Post
You mean to tell me your not going to fix the front end design when you have a chance to recourse? Say no more BMW
The BMW i4 is a crazy design. Electric car that doesn't need a grill at all, but has one of the biggest in the lineup 😂🤣
      09-01-2022, 05:03 AM   #38
james550imanual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw x5, g80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
This is inevitable. Once they can figure out how to manage the weight, all the high performance cars will be EV. The taycan is only the beginning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
This is inevitable. Once they can figure out how to manage the weight, all the high performance cars will be EV. The taycan is only the beginning.
Preach. No one realizes how many billions of dollars OEMs have finally but into EV's, and accelerated in part due to Tesla's success. No oem is really investing in ICE anymore

While I'm not ready for an EV yet, I'm just excited that OEMs finally decided to compete with Tesla..maybe that will shut up the Tesla fanboys 😂
      09-01-2022, 05:33 AM   #39
claudioagmfilho
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: X3MC+320i M+ 330i M Sport

Fast sport cars with no engine noise, are like a pizza without it's sauce. This could hurt BMW. BMW is known worldwide due to their quality engines and their engine noises, there is a pseudosexuality to sports car noise that appeals to a particular consumer demographic, that true passion that comes alive when you hear the engine. But if there is no noise, than there is no passion to be kept alive? Not to all of us, but to almost all of us.
What I mean by that is that, sport cars may die as they become electric. Further down the line, cars will be like electricity, you ask for it and will come for you. Further down the line even, you won't be allowed to drive anymore, only at a private area, it will be a hobby to drive, since you're putting other people's lives in danger, based on your decisions with your car on the road etc. Cars will be auto-driven...
      09-01-2022, 06:41 AM   #40
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440i6MT View Post
Quote:
These cars will be too heavy and not enjoyable. Vehicle dynamics are about more than how fast a car goes around a track. The feedback, chassis/steering feel and crisp handling is what matters in a sports car. I don't want a pig weighing 4-5000lbs, I was a light, nimble car that has ample power, but is communicative.
Bigot.
Just kidding.
You will accept it as is or the gulag awaits

The grille should be larger, and the weight should be greater, in my opinion. I don't see why not. Styling and safety?
Not for the pedestrians or cyclists it's going to hit….
      09-01-2022, 07:35 AM   #41
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Indeed. Looking forward to the covert revival of the ICE as Europe moves toward domestic electricity rationing this winter. Here in the UK, we're just signing off on a new nuclear plant--but its benefits for the energy infrastructure won't be felt for a decade. EVangelicals need to get a handle on what, in practice, sustainability might actually mean for a household that may have to choose between turning on the washing machine or recharging the car...

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25106.00
Cos270608.50
      09-01-2022, 07:46 AM   #42
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

make it as fast as the plaid!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16536.00
      09-01-2022, 08:13 AM   #43
Fenerbahce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Quote:
With battery technology continually improving, we may eventually see days where electric cars are lighter than their gas counterparts. Engines and tranmissions are heavy, so if they can crank up the energy density in batteries while continueing to lighten motors, overall weight could possibly go down. However, it's unlikely we'll ever having the same level of engagement, emotion, and pleasure in driving.
      09-01-2022, 08:19 AM   #44
masd79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
The question is: Isn't the typewriter enough to fulfill the purpose? What do we really need if we decide for an M car? Emotions, performance, stability, safety! All that you get also with the traditional mix and combustion engines. Who needs all the new fancy features of an EV in that segment? I do not see in which direction this can be a win for they enthusiastic buyer. It is just Zeitgeist to decide for an EV as an M car, not an advantage.
Why give up before experiencing it and trying? Most EV have not even tried to be actual sports cars.

Let's be honest. Most BMWs are already fat, numb, and have fake sound, so why not skip the turbo lag and just go all the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlrich1010 View Post
Lots of people got stuck in the 90s hair styles, can't blame em….. lol… the grill is today folks, if you want the classic look, there are tons of f80s to buy, and don't forget to join the classic car clubs while at it
Appreciate 0