E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Vw tiguan?

08-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
liquid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: graphite 328i E92

Vw tiguan?

What do you guys think of this car? My wife had her car (solara) stolen and she likes the tiguan. I know it doesn’t have a ton of space and we r ok with that.
liquid
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
blazex4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S

A family member of mine is looking at the same class of car.
The tiguan is my first choice mainly because of it's tsi engine and it's led's. The leading choice now is the CR-V which is reliable.
Most of the reviews are positive for the tiguan
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Had a 2.0t Tiguan as a rental for a week before. Overall it was peppy and seemed to be spacious on the inside. The auto E brake would do what it wanted to do on occasion and the steering wheel would make a sound as you turned it back and forth as if it were rubbing or something. Really not that big of a deal.

It was actually not to bad to drive. Overall i would not buy one because i think that they look a little funny even thought the highly optioned one does look better.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

I like the Tiguan but option xenons & awd and you're looking at a 36k entry level VW. 2013 Ford Escape seems nice however they have a recall with engine fires. The vanilla CRV/RAV4 are probably the best bets under 30k. Dont forget the new X1 for the 30+ range.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Had one as a rental. Nice car except the autobox was horrid.
      08-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
liquid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks for the input we will go test drive one later today. i considered the crv i know honda are great but i am not to much of a fan of the styling. i thought about the x1 however we want to keep it in the mid to lower 20s.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

My mom has one and I've driven it a couple of times. Coming from the GTI, I think the engine in it is pretty good, and overall, the cabin is spacious and very big. We pretty much do everything we want with it. So far, everything is looking good and no repairs of any kind. We've had it for over 2.5 years now. It is a good looking car imo, and very good $/quality. Go test it, I'm pretty sure you will like it!

Cabin is bigger than the X1 fyi...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Shane550X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i xDrive, '13 VW CC,

Tiguan is SO much better than a CRV. They look better, reliable and not many people have them compared to a CRV. And they have more pep
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
liquid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well we test drove 3 suvs today, tiguan, sportage and the crv. the tiguan was nice bigger then i expected. i am 6'5" and i was fine in the back seat and driving it. the tubo made it quick. i was surprised to see it is only 55% german. i also was surprised there were no safety rating for front and side crash test. other then those two factors i was impressed.

next we took a look at the cheapest one out there. the sportage is out, while its ok i can see spending over 20k for it. i thought the coverage of 10 yrs was bumper to bumper. it looks and drove ok but not very impressive.

lastly and most impressive was the honda. i was surprised the base one (lx) came with a back up camera. the test ratings were all 5 with the exception of rollover which like the vw was 4, i didnt even bother checking the kia's. the crv also drove pretty well and has a lot more room compared to the vw. we dont have children yet but when we do the mirror for the backseat will be helpful. if we go the crv odds are we will go with the ex (2100 more) for the nicer wheels (the steel ones on the lx r awful), the moonroof will be an added bonus.

we still have another 16 days before the insurance will cut us a check for her old car unless they find it. at this point she is 50/50.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Subaru Forester?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
liquid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

silver-bolt,

thanks but she isnt a fan of the looks i told her that before. now she is liking the prius v . so we will look at that this weekend.

liquid
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
blazex4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
well we test drove 3 suvs today, tiguan, sportage and the crv. the tiguan was nice bigger then i expected. i am 6'5" and i was fine in the back seat and driving it. the tubo made it quick. i was surprised to see it is only 55% german. i also was surprised there were no safety rating for front and side crash test. other then those two factors i was impressed.

next we took a look at the cheapest one out there. the sportage is out, while its ok i can see spending over 20k for it. i thought the coverage of 10 yrs was bumper to bumper. it looks and drove ok but not very impressive.

lastly and most impressive was the honda. i was surprised the base one (lx) came with a back up camera. the test ratings were all 5 with the exception of rollover which like the vw was 4, i didnt even bother checking the kia's. the crv also drove pretty well and has a lot more room compared to the vw. we dont have children yet but when we do the mirror for the backseat will be helpful. if we go the crv odds are we will go with the ex (2100 more) for the nicer wheels (the steel ones on the lx r awful), the moonroof will be an added bonus.

we still have another 16 days before the insurance will cut us a check for her old car unless they find it. at this point she is 50/50.
BTW, my mom got the CRV yesterday without even test driving it. I was gunning for the X1 or the Tiguan but she went for the CRV. We had gotten the AWD EX-L. All trims were close in price but the LX was too hideous.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

We test drove the tiguan, crv, and ford escape. The crv was defintily the best for the money out of the group to us. The tiguan is so bland. I mean yea it's got a faster engine, but what are you really trying to prove in one of those cars. The escape starts to get to expensive when you add stuff on.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

I was in the market for a gas friendly DD. Test drove the Tiguan, Escape, CR-V, CX-5(SLOW AS HELL!!) and Hyundai.

Tiguan - Pretty boring if you ask me. Starts getting expensive with all the "necessary" options.
Escape - Nice gadgets and everything, but it just looked too weird for me.
CR-V - best value, boring, economical.
Hyundai Santa Fe - I felt was the best of the bunch, but I am a brand whore.

I don't know how I ended up buying a FJ Cruiser with a 6 inch lift..........
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I just sold my 2011 Tiguan SE and we liked it a lot. I had the ecu reprogrammed which made it really quick and the dct trans is a really good auto if you have to have one.

+'s Quick, relatively fun to drive at 7/10's
Awesome sunroof made it feel roomy and bright
Scheduled Maint. free for 36K
Good looking, but of course that is subjective
Good stock stereo, better than my 135 and the ipod controls and bluetooth worked well

-'s Poor gas mileage even before I did the ecu
Terrible AC even on max it barely cooled the interior and the vents don't fully articulate
(Where I live it gets really hot so it might not be an issue in other places)
Steering a little to light for my taste
Driving past 7/10's body roll and understeer very pronounced.

Like you I drove most in the segment before purchasing and the VW felt the most like a driver's car to me, but you mileage may vary. I also enjoyed the Subaru Forester XT and would have bought that save for the 4 speed auto and no free maint..

For me the CR-V is an ugly car, the back end reminds me of an Aztek. But of course that is only personal opinion. The Rav-4 felt dated and cheap on the inside and had lots of driveline noise when accelerating. I liked the interior of the KIA except for the space. The Escape wasn't out yet, but after reading all of the reviews I'd have to give that serious consideration.

What about a wagon? Jetta TDI is in that range and maybe the new X1.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
liquid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks for the info but she decided on a prius v. we were 50/50 between the prius and the crv. we were able to get the prius for 25616 plus tax and tag which was withing 1k from the best price we were quoted on the crv. we were going to take a look at the crosstek that is coming out but since her car was stolen we were short on time.

i drive it on the weekends and when we go out. i will admit i am pretty impressed with it. she gets around 41 mpg. i was expecting a bit more but for the size of it i feel the mpg is acceptable. needless to say it makes a lot better costco car then my e92.

i thought both the forester and jetta wagon were neat but she wasnt a fan.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
hencyber12
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport

My wife had a 2009 CR-V (bad idea, dont even go there)

We moved on to a 2011 Tiguan 2.0 tdi and is a massive improvement, rides brilliantly and cabin quality is suitably Germanic. I think it drives really well for an SUV and does deal well with the windy stuff. Pretty expensive though when you start to add leather, sat nav and auto. But definitely worth the price, test drive one if you can.

Happy buying!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOB1917 View Post
We have 2012 Tiguan SEL. My GF likes it but I think she would like more power. Her last car was an Acura TL 265hp Car vs. 200hp CUV (Compact Utility Vehicle) we leased the Tiggy based on $5,000 off the $35,500 Sticker. There's no back up camera because Japan was hit with that major Earthquake which knocked out VW's parts supplier. Otherwise it's loaded (for a VW). Real Leather, 3 foot Sun Roof, Peppy. Gas mileage doesn't seem to be as good as we expected, afraid of what the 19" Pirelli Scorpion Tires are going to cost to replace especially since my GF loves to mash the gas. But otherwise we really like the car. Have a feeling we'll trade up for another BMW at the end of the lease but till then the Tiguan is treating us well =)
$600 will get you 50 more hp if you get it re-tuned from APR, that's what we did and it was a big difference. Might be a bit more power if you have 93 octane where you live. Try goapr.com and see if there is a dealer near you.
Appreciate 0