E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > 2014 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

04-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #67
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneercrazed View Post
Great race today!

Did anyone see the feature they did on the qualy show (SkyF1) about the Merc engine? Separating the hot side and cold side of the turbo... Brilliant!!!
Hang on, you're saying they McDLT'd the engine? :P

04-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #68
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Hang on, you're saying they McDLT'd the engine? :P

Hell yeah that's right McDLT

Anyone notice the random flashing rear safety lights during the race?

I think Hobbs laughed when Vets DRS failed.
      04-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #69
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post

Anyone notice the random flashing rear safety lights during the race?
I did. Any idea why they were going off at random times during the race?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #70
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I noticed them too.

I thought maybe they were blinking when the cars were braking, but couldn't tell for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #71
Lucky_Strike
LtJG O-2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I noticed them too.

I thought maybe they were blinking when the cars were braking, but couldn't tell for sure.
2014 Formula 1 Sporting Regulations:

Lift and coast:

"If the torque management system on the car decides to go into a fuel-save mode, the rear light will flash for a second to warn any driver behind. The thresholds are configurable but currently set for a car above 95 per cent throttle for more than a second, travelling faster than 180 km/h, that experiences a torque reduction of 120 kW or more.
The warning system has been created because these events are controlled by the electronics rather than by the driver. If the driver decides to back off early then the situation is as it always has been. He has a responsibility to ensure another car is not close behind him. It’s as simple as that. One would normally expect the driver to check that it’s OK to back off. The warning light is there for situations not controlled by the driver."
      04-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #72
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Aha! Makes sense. Thanks, Lucky
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #73
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Strike View Post
2014 Formula 1 Sporting Regulations:

Lift and coast:

"If the torque management system on the car decides to go into a fuel-save mode, the rear light will flash for a second to warn any driver behind. The thresholds are configurable but currently set for a car above 95 per cent throttle for more than a second, travelling faster than 180 km/h, that experiences a torque reduction of 120 kW or more.
The warning system has been created because these events are controlled by the electronics rather than by the driver. If the driver decides to back off early then the situation is as it always has been. He has a responsibility to ensure another car is not close behind him. It’s as simple as that. One would normally expect the driver to check that it’s OK to back off. The warning light is there for situations not controlled by the driver."
^Thanks I half ass goggled it.

This type of system is needed for the i3 because when you lift off the throttle the car stops. It could catch someone off guard big time.

BTW I watched the race for the 3rd time today. Tough act to follow sucks we have to wait 2 weeks.
      04-09-2014, 04:16 AM   #74
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

In cased you missed it, here's Martin Brundle explaining the Mercedes Power Unit

04-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #75
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I would assume all teams using the Benz power unit has the same design with separated turbine and compressor?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #76
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Only the Mercedes cars have the separates.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #77
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Only the Mercedes cars have the separates.
Results definitely support that notion. Do you happen to have a source where I can read about the known differences between the engine Mercedes uses and the one they supply to other teams?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #78
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

From one of the BBC pre F1 programs I understood that only the factory Merc cars had the separated turbo but according to this article I mis-spoke:
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12...-them-the-edge
Sorry to have misled.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #79
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
From one of the BBC pre F1 programs I understood that only the factory Merc cars had the separated turbo but according to this article I mis-spoke:
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12...-them-the-edge
Sorry to have misled.
Thanks. So Mercedes domination is more about having more time and resources to understand how to build the rest of the car to best take advantage of the engine than the engine itself. I.e there is still hope for all Benz powered cars. It looks like it's going to be an exceedingly tough year for Renault and Ferrari powered teams though... Just look at Lotus, what a mess and free fall from last year.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #80
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Thanks. So Mercedes domination is more about having more time and resources to understand how to build the rest of the car to best take advantage of the engine than the engine itself. I.e there is still hope for all Benz powered cars. It looks like it's going to be an exceedingly tough year for Renault and Ferrari powered teams though... Just look at Lotus, what a mess and free fall from last year.
I recall current Engine (power unit) "freeze" homologation deadline was February 28. Was that deadline being extended by the FIA?
Otherwise, the only changes in design allowed will be on safety grounds. And Mercedes might have an unique design edge in coming years.

Also are the homologation restriction only on engine itself, or the entire power unit system design?

The other wild card coming next year will be Honda. They might learn a thing or two this season from Mercedes?
      04-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #81
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I recall current Engine (power unit) "freeze" homologation deadline was February 28. Was that deadline being extended by the FIA?
Otherwise, the only changes in design allowed will be on safety grounds. And Mercedes might have an unique design edge in coming years.

Also are the homologation restriction only on engine itself, or the entire power unit system design?

The other wild card coming next year will be Honda. They might learn a thing or two this season from Mercedes?
Very good point, Slam! I think Honda is taking a LOT of notes right now
So what this perceived advantage means for Mercedes beyond 2014 is quite unclear
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #82
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post

I would guess it's the whole power unit that is "frozen". So the Benz powered cars should be on equal ground from that point of view. I.e there is no restrictions ( other than test time ) preventing the other Benz powered cars to catch up. At least I hope that is the case

You can be pretty sure McLaren is not going to accept a Honda engine with less power than what they currently have with Benz. Honda has very, very deep pockets and a proud and successful F1 history. I can not see them enter F1 with an inferior engine. Be sure they will spend what it takes if the engine they've already previewed is down on power.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #83
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

McLaren and Honda partnership have a lot to live up to.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 04:45 AM   #84
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The turbo era cars were certainly quite a handful.
The BMW turbo F1 car was reputed to produce well over a 1000bhp (some suggest 1400bhp!) in qualifying trim with the boost turned up and using some really quite toxic fuel blends.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #85
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Somewhat questionable source but wow if it's actually true:

http://www.minardi.it/international/...-in-formula-1/
      04-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #86
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Somewhat questionable source but wow if it's actually true:

http://www.minardi.it/international/...-in-formula-1/
Well, never say never.
Honda will be back after some bad years with the V8 era.
Cosworth were back for a few years, but in a bad timing of already matured engine design.

Would be nice to see some manufacturers making their comeback again with the new regulation. Like Tag-Porsche (or VW Group-Audi now), BMW, Toyota, Peugeot, etc.
      04-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #87
solstice
Major General
Rep

I'm sure all the ravings about Benz power unit in the pinnacle of world wide motorsport is eating at BMW... That said the i8 is likely a more profitable way of show casing know how in this area. Not sure which has the biggest impact on people considering these type of cars, F1 gets more TV and news coverage for sure.

It has definately raised my interrest in a Benz down the line when hybrids are all we get.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #88
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm sure all the ravings about Benz power unit in the pinnacle of world wide motorsport is eating at BMW... That said the i8 is likely a more profitable way of show casing know how in this area. Not sure which has the biggest impact on people considering these type of cars, F1 gets more TV and news coverage for sure.

It has definately raised my interrest in a Benz down the line when hybrids are all we get.
I'd love to see the future where Mercedes will create a "hybrid-supercar" like P1, 918 and LaFerrari league.
Where the F1 technology will be see being used in "everyday roadcar". Of course, when the "power unit" technology matures and becomes "reliable-bulletproof", it might be our future vehicles replacing combustion engines.

That's what the FIA hope to see when they insist 2014 new engine regulation.