E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Paralyzed Race Car Driver Will Steer Modified Corvette Using Head

05-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Paralyzed Race Car Driver Will Steer Modified Corvette Using Head

By Kyle Newport , Featured Columnist May 13, 2014
bleacherreport.com

Fourteen years after a racing accident left him paralyzed, former Indy Racing League driver Sam Schmidt will get behind a wheel at the Indy 500.

However, technology has played a big role in getting him back on the track. The SAM (semi-autonomous motorcar) Project uses technology to allow disabled drivers to drive again.

The 49-year-old will be driving in style. A 2014 Corvette C7 Stingray has been modified to allow him to steer with his head.

Here are some more details on the SAM Project, via ArrowSAMCar.com:

“In milliseconds, this system sends signals to a computer that controls the car through an intricate network of sensors and motors that are tied into the car’s standard steering, acceleration and braking systems.

The computer also integrates a GPS system that electronically establishes “virtual curbs”—one meter from the edges of the track. If the car reaches this limit, the system warns the driver to correct course. If the car continues to drift, the system gently auto-corrects the car to keep it on the track.

”Schmidt will have someone sitting in the passenger seat who can control the car if necessary, and the car can also be stopped by engineers in the pit if necessary.

Although Schmidt won't be part of the race, he will get to drive four laps at the Indy 500 on May 25.

So..what do you guys think? Too far? Cool technology? Dangerous for other drivers?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
AtlantaDude
Just enjoying my time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i - Sold

Those are gonna be some hella neck muscles.... I'm all for it. The only way to make technology is to push existing technology. As long as he doesn't endanger others (notice, if he wants to endanger himself, I'm all for it), let him have his fun.

If speed is death, then buy a Honda and live forever
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I think this is great news. I went to high school with a guy who became paralyzed and they out fitted his camero with hand controls. Must be a very good feeling for this guy to be able to drive again.

As far as safety, this system is probably better than most drivers who have full use of their extremities.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I think this is too far... I know first hand how much control you lose with disabilities far less severe than his and this is not safe for the road in any way!

But as a cool project it is two thumbs up!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

for normal street driving it may be safe enough. For racing no. Turning any direction during high speed will push your appendages in the opposite direction due to g forces.
      05-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

This is absolutely AMAZING!!!

No wonder i'm an engineer, I find these types of breakthroughs absolutely incredible. The amount of R&D that went into getting this thing to work and then the amount of qualification that had to happen in order to make it testable to the point that they put an actually disabled person in the vehicle to try it out is mind blowing.

I wish I could actually be there to see this system. Good luck to Schmidt, this must be a dream come true for him!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I'm just curious what happens if you sneeze.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Daman View Post
That's how you activate the spray
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
AceOnShake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Daman View Post
My point exactly! This is dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
evo335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Yea I agree..if you sneeze,cough, tilt to look to the sideview. Too many sudden movements would make this dangerous. Great engineering though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
This is absolutely AMAZING!!!

No wonder i'm an engineer, I find these types of breakthroughs absolutely incredible. The amount of R&D that went into getting this thing to work and then the amount of qualification that had to happen in order to make it testable to the point that they put an actually disabled person in the vehicle to try it out is mind blowing.

I wish I could actually be there to see this system. Good luck to Schmidt, this must be a dream come true for him!!!
Yes, this is technologically amazing. The possibilities are amazing, "Machines" can be controlled simply by putting on some type of headgear. Helicopters? jets? and could be from a remote location. Awesome.

Does this mean I can drive my RV from the toilet?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
Yes, this is technologically amazing. The possibilities are amazing, "Machines" can be controlled simply by putting on some type of headgear. Helicopters? jets? and could be from a remote location. Awesome.

Does this mean I can drive my RV from the toilet?
If you have enough money.

Currently, vehicles are either on autopilot or controlled by someone with at the controls using their hands etc... The fact that this car can be driven through head motions with no hand controls yet still maintain human inputs is what amazes me start ass.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

How do you look around you while driving? If the movements of your head control the car how do you look left and right before puling out on a freeway?
Appreciate 1