E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > B5 S4 question

04-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5

B5 S4 question

sorry about this but if anyone could help, what do you think of this car other then the color read the description with mods...
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

www.audizine.com. Go to the B5 S4 forum and read. Tons of information from real world owners.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
UBERV8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 MW E92 M3

As a former B5 S4 owner myself, here's my opinion:

-Since this car listed has the K04 upgraded turbos, that's a plus not only for performance, but in reliability (for turbos). It is important to make sure, the previous owner replaced all things that need to go along with the K04's.

-Imola yellow (I believe that was the name) is a controversial color, but the price seems decent.

-The car is definitely a beast, but you rarely see them on the roads anymore... for a reason.

-There was a popular saying related to this Audi: "Audi's are like strippers, you have to throw many at em to keep em working"
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

I like the pseudo scientific "Current oil analysis from Blackstone Laboratories stating the engine and K04 turbos are in "excellent condition" "

We know that means nothing.

I'd look for something newer and with a lot fewer miles. Given the list of what has been recently replaced I think the seller knows of an upcoming huge repair.

The "fair" condition would scare me.

Imola yellow is a much nicer color in person than in pictures.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92addict View Post
As a former B5 S4 owner myself, here's my opinion:

-Since this car listed has the K04 upgraded turbos, that's a plus not only for performance, but in reliability (for turbos). It is important to make sure, the previous owner replaced all things that need to go along with the K04's.

-Imola yellow (I believe that was the name) is a controversial color, but the price seems decent.

-The car is definitely a beast, but you rarely see them on the roads anymore... for a reason.

-There was a popular saying related to this Audi: "Audi's are like strippers, you have to throw many at em to keep em working"
So this car could be more reliable due to the mods then a stock car?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep

BUMP
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
andybmw335
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3man1994 View Post
sorry about this but if anyone could help, what do you think of this car other then the color read the description with mods...
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
The B5 S4 is a great car. I had mine for over 8 years before selling it to get a 335i. The Audi and BMWs are very different cars, but both are a lot of fun in their own way. Mine did not have the mods listed in the car you are looking at but it appears whoever did that too it made good choices. APR, AWE, and GIAC are all popular mods for the car. The reason I let mine go is it was starting to require many of the fixes listed. (Ironically one of the more frustrating items to get fixed was the fuel pump.) It gets very expensive...and unfortunately on more than one occasion, I was left stranded. If it is not your only car you own and you have the funds to continue to maintain/fix a 10 year old car...I would say you will be happy with it. Keep in mind after a couple years of fixing it, you may be able to afford a CPO 335 too. Nothing like it in the snow....as long as the snow was not deap, there was no stopping it. Good luck with your purchase if you decide to pursue it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0