E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Mercedes-Benz Concept A Revealed for Shanghai

04-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

Mercedes-Benz Concept A Revealed for Shanghai

Merc's new 1-series and A3 rival.

From Autocar.UK

Quote:
Mercedes will transform the next-generation Mercedes A-class into a high-quality, sporty rival for the Audi A3 and BMW 1-series when it goes on sale late next year.

Set to be previewed at this month’s Shanghai show as the Concept A study, the new A-class is tipped to capture much of the show car’s flowing sheetmetal, distinctive detailing and sporty stance.

The main difference compared with the concept is that the roofline and glasshouse are understood to be taller and deeper on the production car.
Under the skin, the new A-class is understood to feature an all-new platform, known as the MFA, with strut front suspension and a multi-link rear axle, all dedicated to Mercedes.

Emphasis has also been placed on interior quality, with the new A-class featuring plastics, trim and switchgear borrowed from the C-class.
The Concept A gives a strong feeling of a flowing instrument panel moulding, with a sporty steering wheel, dominant twin-dial instrument binnacle and a rotary controller for the infomatics system.

A theme of the concept is the centre-illuminated dials and air vents, which Merc says are based on the idea of a glowing jet engine afterburner.
Power for the new A-class family will initially come from Mercedes’ existing range of four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines from the C-class, modified for a transverse installation.

The core engine will be a 2.0-litre petrol unit, which the Concept A previews in 204bhp hot hatch form. It will be mated to a dual-clutch gearbox.
The dual-clutch ’box will replace the CVT that is used in today’s A-class and B-class.

Cooking versions of the petrol model are likely to make closer to 150bhp.
Diesels will be centred on Merc’s 2.2-litre four with power ranging from 130 to 180bhp.

Also coming is a 320bhp AMG hot hatch powered by a 2.0-litre turbo, employing four-wheel drive and due for launch in 2013 to battle the Audi S3.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

The control cluster would give too many people a seizure.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Any news on the crappy B Class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Lowest_Frequency
Audiophile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GT500

Interior makes me vomit...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

We've seen a few concepts with this sort of design language and I kinda like it. I would like to see Merc move forward with something different now.
      04-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Real original design. lol

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

I dunno, when I think MB, I don't really think luxury hatches, I think large luxury sedans.

Only Audi/VW can really pull off hatches.
      04-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

this is a few subtle tweaks away from being a BMW concept. divide that grille into two kidneys, barely reshape the headlights and add halos, get rid of the bar spanning the rear and substitute the LED bulbs for piping and you wouldn't know any better. in otherwords, this thing's too generic and the surfacing is too derivative of other brands.

and wtf is up with Mercedes concepts having extremely overdone rocker sills lately?
Appreciate 0