E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Audi RS3

03-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #67
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

My God that thing sounds good.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #68
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List

Audi RS3 video review
We take Audi's five-cylinder RS3 for a spin on the most infamous rally stage, the Col de Turini.
An intoxicating five-cylinder warble reverberates around the mountains as we accelerate out of yet another switchback hairpin, all four tyres scrabbling for grip. Of course, the craggy walls have heard a similar sound before.

That’s because we’re driving the new Audi RS3 Sportback up the famous Col de Turini in the south of France – the very place where its ancestor, the original Sport Quattro, won the 1984 Monte Carlo Rally in the hands of ex-world champion Walter Röhrl.

It may be deluded, but there’s the sense we are probably not too far off the pace the legendary driver set all those years ago. That’s not a reflection of our ability, though – rather, the devastating speed at which the RS3 covers ground.

You can thank the incredible 2.5-litre turbo for that. Taken from the TT RS, it’s the heart and soul of the car. With 335bhp on tap, 0-62mph takes only 4.6 seconds. This time beats not only that of the RS3’s main rival – the BMW 1-Series M Coupé – but also the Porsche 911 Carrera S. In fact, Audi’s own R8 V8 is no faster over the benchmark sprint.

Yet it’s the spread of torque that’s most telling. The maximum 450Nm is available from only 1,600rpm and remains constant all the way to 5,300rpm, while the seamless action of the S tronic seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox, whether in paddleshift or automatic mode, means there’s no let-up in thrust.

Some purists may complain that, unlike the TT, the RS3 won’t come with a manual option. But Audi reckons the car’s target audience doesn’t want one. Core customers are after something that’s super quick, yet very easy to live with every day. That’s also why the RS3 is offered only as a five-door. According to the manufacturer, a three-door would deliver little extra practicality over the lighter TT RS, which is also slightly better to drive.

Don’t take that to mean the RS3 doesn’t handle well, though. Body control is excellent, thanks to a widened track and 25mm lower ride height over a normal A3 Sportback, plus springs and dampers that are around 25 per cent stiffer than those in the S3.

Admittedly, the ride is very firm. However, it never feels uncomfortable, at least not on the smooth, winding roads along the Col de Turini, where the grippy quattro all-wheel-drive system pays dividends. Make no mistake, there’s an impressive efficiency to the RS3.

But if there is a drawback, it’s that you can feel a little isolated from the action. That’s partly because it’s almost too easy to drive quickly, and while the electric power-steering is fast, accurate and weighty, it feels slightly artificial.

You could argue that price is another problem. Nearly £40,000 is a lot for an A3, no matter how fast it is. But then, the RS does look a bit special thanks to its bodykit. In typical Audi fashion, this is sufficiently aggressive without being overly showy.

Equipment is reasonable, too. Standard features include sat-nav, climate control, leather seats and a Sport button, which sharpens the throttle response and opens a valve in the exhaust to make the engine note even more raucous. Needless to say, that got a lot of use during our trip up the Col de Turini.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/...#ixzz1HLYETU4n
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #69
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

^^ omg

It sounds SO good. Jesus.

But that price. Goddamn.

Definitely better looking than the 1M.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #70
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Seems like such a fun car :P
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #71
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
^^ omg

It sounds SO good. Jesus.

But that price. Goddamn.

Definitely better looking than the 1M.
I think the 1M looks more unique but that is totally subjective
      03-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #72
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
I think the 1M looks more unique but that is totally subjective
The 1M is a more unique car, I will have to give you that one but each are exciting in different ways. Personally the RS3 engine makes the whole experience that bit more unique in my opinion but for those of you who haven't experienced this engine then you can only take my word for that. Though in all honesty you can't go wrong with either of them as they will be a complete pleasure to own.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #73
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
RS3 def has a cracking engine and better overall fit and finish but I am not sold on audi's chassis setup and numb steering
      03-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #74
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Even at 50k it looks out of its depth. I dont want to pay twice as much as the base shopping trolley for it. Being impartial when it comes to comparing Ford and Audi (wont buy any of them equally), i will save some money and go for the soon to be 400hp Taurus SHO or that BOSS thing.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #75
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Even at 50k it looks out of its depth. I dont want to pay twice as much as the base shopping trolley for it. Being impartial when it comes to comparing Ford and Audi (wont buy any of them equally), i will save some money and go for the soon to be 400hp Taurus SHO or that BOSS thing.
If your enclined to think that way then you wouldn't consider anything BMW make, because the bottom line is that Ford or GM can give you something that's quicker and cheaper.

Why buy a rolex when a cheap casio is far more accurate?

Thank heavens I don't think like that, I like fine things and can appreciate the work and quality that has gone into to them, even when on the face of it they appear to be overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #76
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
If your enclined to think that way then you wouldn't consider anything BMW make, because the bottom line is that Ford or GM can give you something that's quicker and cheaper.

Why buy a rolex when a cheap casio is far more accurate?

Thank heavens I don't think like that, I like fine things and can appreciate the work and quality that has gone into to them, even when on the face of it they appear to be overpriced.
So, only a jumped up Golf will provide you with the quality you need? Evan at this price, you know there are better choices from the premium brands. The 1M looks better than this.

Give it up. It looks confused, isn't that quick and even Volvos have 5 cylinders.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #77
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

I really don't know about the 1M looking BETTER. I actually don't really like the stubbiness of it lol. I think Audi's are beautiful and they have done a wonderful job crafting and engineering this car. I would really like to try it out. Plus, its a different type of car; a super hatch.

BMW will always reign king in my book, but I will NEVER get an SHO or a BOSS before one of these, price being a factor or otherwise. I am with footie, here. Sure, they are great cars for performance and value. But sometimes you just have to look a little further than that. Which is why I opted for 335i in the first place.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #78
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
So, only a jumped up Golf will provide you with the quality you need? Evan at this price, you know there are better choices from the premium brands. The 1M looks better than this.

Give it up. It looks confused, isn't that quick and even Volvos have 5 cylinders.
Yeah the 1M is indeed a very good looking car, in my opinion coupes always look better than hatchbacks. But if you seriously think the RS3 will be slow, possibly slower than the 1M then you might be surprised and if you think the 5cyl engine in the Volvo is remotely as special as this one then you need to rethink what you think you know about this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #79
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

1m's front is ugly and rs3's back is ugly
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #80
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
With all due respect, When autocar tested the M3 and RS5, The RS5 won, only because it has quattro. The M3 was never lost on that windy curvy road because Audi's can't corner. No matter how much gadgetry Audi throws at trying to stop the car from under steering, you can't defy the laws of physics. With that said, I wouldn't mind having an RS3 in the garage as a daily driver.
I didn't make this statement up, those were the exact words used in the article. And another thing, the sole reason why the RS5 doesn't beat the M3 is the 150kg (330lbs) weight penalty it is carrying. That is one hell of a burden to overcome, the TT-RS has shown when the weights are more even like with it and the equally powered 1M its awd drivetrain shows itself to be quicker over a given stretch of road.

Whether the RS3 is as light and able to do the same is debatable, frankly I can't wait to see which one is quickest overall. Personally I think it's great to have two equally priced and powered mini super (Joe average) cars that will give much more potent and respected performance car a run for their money and might even upset the expected outcome of such a meeting.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #81
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List

BTW, took the stopwatch to the acceleration run of the RS3 and got a time of 4.5s from 0-100km/h. Take 0.2s for the difference between 60mph and 100km/h, then a further 0.3s off for the traditional 1ft rollout and you end up with a RS3 0-60mph time of 4.0s.

Yeah, I think the RS3 will still be a bit quicker than the 1M.

P.S.
Here's a similar acceteration run for a stock TT-RS to compare. I get roughly 4.2~4.3s for it.

Last edited by footie; 03-31-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #82
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

oh footie...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #83
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

footie loves him some RS3...

..but so do I.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #84
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
What's not to like with this car. It's the perfect sleeper that will scare the begesus out of much bigger stuff like the M3, C63 and RS5, and I bet even cars like the C2S and R8v8 on a back road would wonder what the f@ck was stick to their rear bumper.

This is Audi's best RS car to date in my opinion, it's got full on RS performance for the common man.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #85
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
What's not to like with this car. It's the perfect sleeper that will scare the begesus out of much bigger stuff like the M3, C63 and RS5, and I bet even cars like the C2S and R8v8 on a back road would wonder what the f@ck was stick to their rear bumper.

This is Audi's best RS car to date in my opinion, it's got full on RS performance for the common man.
Agreed.

InB4 1M fanboys.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #86
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
So if for the same amount of money you can get an RS3 or and M3 why would you buy an RS3?
1M vs RS3 money is something to think about, but M3 money???
      04-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #87
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Audi's have always been the more expensive cars. Like I stated before, preference varies; some people would actually rather have an RS3 for driveability and other purposes (trunk, AWD, etc), or maybe they just want something different. I wouldn't mind taking that plunge if I had the money.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #88
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
So if for the same amount of money you can get an RS3 or and M3 why would you buy an RS3?
1M vs RS3 money is something to think about, but M3 money???
How said it was M3 money?

The RS3 is priced the same as the 1M, actually when the two are specced the same the RS3 works out a bit cheaper to the tune of about £1K. You can't use exchange rates to guesstimate US prices, if that were the case then 1M would also be M3 money which we know it isn't.

For the money both the 1M and RS3 are exception machines, blindingly quick and with enough style and creature comforts to be a worthwhile alternative to some more expensive stuff from the same two manufacturers.
Appreciate 0