E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335D Oil Leak! Red Flexi Hose? Help? Solutions.. Repair Costs..

07-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D stock engine

Question BMW 335D Oil Leak! Red Flexi Hose? Help? Solutions.. Repair Costs..

Hi All,

I have read a few threads but have not seen a definite answer regarding this red hose pipe.. I have literally just taken pictures. It is funny because I have a wet patch over my wheel arch which I asked my local mechanic to look at when it was in for a service and MOT last week. They said it was checked and there was no leak, yet I could of sworn I saw a drip of oil hit the tray as I took a photo (recently had laser eye surgery) so I don't think my eyes are playing tricks on me!

Am I right to suggest this is being dealt with under a "PUMA" case? Also, if I approach BMW direct, what is the fault? and how much should I be paying for such a repair?

The patch over the wheel arch has been there for about 4 weeks now and I don't know what the cause is. I thought it was the screen fluid but apparently it's been checked. My car has lost some power over the last 4-5 weeks..

Please see photo's attached below..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

what answer are you looking for? The red boost hose leak is a known issue and the leaking oil line on top of the smaller turbo (obvious if you pull the engine cover) is also a known issue. If you take it to enough dealerships AND youre under warranty it will get covered. If you arent under warranty it might cost you some $$$ to get it fixed but how much will depend on if you have to cover the whole thing or split part of it.

FYI, the boost hose seals and the oil line I referred to will run you about $50 in parts (shipped) if you do it yourself
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
what answer are you looking for? The red boost hose leak is a known issue and the leaking oil line on top of the smaller turbo (obvious if you pull the engine cover) is also a known issue. If you take it to enough dealerships AND youre under warranty it will get covered. If you arent under warranty it might cost you some $$$ to get it fixed but how much will depend on if you have to cover the whole thing or split part of it.

FYI, the boost hose seals and the oil line I referred to will run you about $50 in parts (shipped) if you do it yourself
I am out of warranty as I just exceeded 100k mileage. I can get an extended warranty but I don't know how worthy it will be.. I guess I will be spending some money either way *sighs*
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

a $35 hose, 10mm wrench, and 14mm wrench will fix the turbo oil supply hose if that is the problem. have you popped the engine cover to take a look? Until you find the source of the leaking there really isnt much anyone can tell you except to suggest known leak sources
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
a $35 hose, 10mm wrench, and 14mm wrench will fix the turbo oil supply hose if that is the problem. have you popped the engine cover to take a look? Until you find the source of the leaking there really isnt much anyone can tell you except to suggest known leak sources
I haven't actually. I will do this tomorrow and feedback. Too dark to have a look now.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

So my 335D has been in the BMW dealership since Tuesday. They said £100 inc VAT for a diagnosis of the fault. Called back on Wednesday to say they couldn't diagnose using the equipment as nothing was being flagged up. They said an extra £145.00 would be required for a further investigation.. (I gave consent) I then got a phone call today stating they have found the fault.. The vacuum hoses were split!

I initially stated this could be the fault as I had done a lot of research. This obviously was not taken notice of. They now want £450 inc VAT. Should the vacuum hoses been inspected in the diagnosis test? I understand this is just electrical equipment, but they said it does not come up on their computer.

To replace the hoses costs £202.00 inc VAT.
Appreciate 0