E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > who here pump gas with engine running...

02-29-2024, 07:06 AM   #45
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

What do you scaredey cats imagine can cause a fire with the engine running?
Appreciate 1
baron951703.50
      02-29-2024, 07:10 AM   #46
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

i have no idea how we ended up w a 17 year old thread but... FWIW... pumping gas while your car is running is actually illegal in many states... the gas stations even have notices not to do this
      02-29-2024, 07:20 AM   #47
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Recirc and tank pressure is a bit wonky in the old truck, so I shut it down.

Company car and wife’s I keep running while pumping. Generally if I’m driving the wife’s, the kids are in the truck, too. Gotta keep their A/C and movie rolling!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 07:33 AM   #48
noemon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive_right View Post
People used to smoke cigarettes next to pumps back in the 70's lol.
They still do in several places around the world, including in Europe.

Frankly, all this nonsense about switching off your engine, not talking to your phone are just over-hyped bull.

Same as with "don't drink when on antibiotics".

The reality is that doctors used to tell people not to drink when under penicillin so that they do not get or give STD's before they clear their syphillis(the one main thing that antibiotics were originally created to counter).

Since drink would enable sex, the ONLY reason we are still not allowed to drink while under antibiotics is so that we do not have sex and not because there is any interaction between the 2.
Appreciate 1
baron951703.50
      02-29-2024, 09:37 AM   #49
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
i have no idea how we ended up w a 17 year old thread but... FWIW... pumping gas while your car is running is actually illegal in many states... the gas stations even have notices not to do this
It probably got brought back to life by a spammer and others replied before the spammer's post got zapped.

Carry on
vreihen1615278.50
      02-29-2024, 09:47 AM   #50
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
why take the chance when all it take is a press of a button to turn off/on the engine. If something does occured during your fueling session as a result of the engine running, how would you feel knowing all could have been avoided had you been more cautious. I don't know enough to say what the risk level is but all the combustion is well hidden inside the engine (I think) which validate your lottery theory.

Unless I plan on stealing gas right after fueling, I would have my engine running at all time at the gas station

I should create a poll!
why do anything slightly risky when the alternate is less risky?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615278.50
      02-29-2024, 10:08 AM   #51
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by noemon View Post
...all this nonsense about switching off your engine, not talking to your phone are just over-hyped bull.

Same as with "don't drink when on antibiotics"....
That sounds like a fun little anecdote from your science prof in High School, but actually not correct, and dangerous misinformation. Some antibiotics can interact with alcohol in pretty unpleasant, sometimes dangerous ways. However if you are looking for a way to live dangerously and spit in the face of death then it's probably a fairly safe place to do that, right up there with smoking at the pumps to get that rebel vibe.

And if people can't lay off the smoking and drinking long enough to gas up their car then there may be other more pressing health risks in their future....
Appreciate 2
Sebis186.50
      02-29-2024, 11:43 AM   #52
noemon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
That sounds like a fun little anecdote from your science prof in High School, but actually not correct, and dangerous misinformation. Some antibiotics can interact with alcohol in pretty unpleasant, sometimes dangerous ways.
It's not an anecdote. It's factual reality that any doctor worth his salt in medical history would know but generally avoid to tell. Alcohol does not interact with antibiotics in any way, shape or form.

Quote:
However if you are looking for a way to live dangerously and spit in the face of death then it's probably a fairly safe place to do that, right up there with smoking at the pumps to get that rebel vibe.

It's quite hilarious how smothered people are these days.

If having a beer with your antibiotic or refueling with the engine running is spitting in the face of death in your dictionary, it makes one truly wonder.

Personally, I know exactly what these signs are there for. Liability and this trend of the government unloading liability onto business needs to be reversed not supported.

Gas stations, restaurants, hotels cannot get licenses unless they

1) have CCTV with 2-4 week storage for the police to access anytime.
2) Display liability signs for insurance purposes, .ie do not give alcohol to under 18, do not smoke, do not talk on your phone, etcetera.

All these and more are there to invalidate insurance and give a free exit pass to the insurer from paying up. And the list of signs has grown so big, proprietors need a dedicated department just to keep up with this nonsense and now with wokism, the list has been expanded to displaying signs and having active policies for using appropriate pronouns and such, othrwise your employer's liability insurance gets invalidated and if you misgender a customer or staff you are left with the legal bills even if you do have insurance.

Last edited by noemon; 02-29-2024 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:36 PM   #53
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
It’s just stupid not to turn off the motor. Regardless of the risk of explosion the consequences of it happening are catastrophic. Why would anyone risk killing a dozen people other than themselves because they are too lazy to turn off their car?! To me it demonstrates the height of screw you, no one other than me matters, selfishness.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-29-2024 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 4
      02-29-2024, 01:08 PM   #54
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Holy thread revival.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2024, 01:19 PM   #55
noemon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It’s just stupid not to turn off the motor. Regardless of the risk of explosion the consequences of it happening are astronomical. Why would anyone risk killing a dozen people other than themselves because they are too lazy to turn off their car?! To me it demonstrates the height of screw you, no one other than me matters, selfishness.
I think it's just stupid for people to worry about things that you are not supposed to worry about.

This idea that there is any danger to anybody because of your engine running is totally fake.

I personally switch off the engine as a mater of habit, but I really don't care if the guy next to me is running their engine.

Karens may even have fist-fights with another person for no actual reason.

But I can picture the scene:

"Guy switch off your engine, I got kids in the car, why don't you respect my family" and such.

Guy be like,

"If I switch off, It don't start again, move to the next petrol station for your kid's sake".

But the mobile phone and the mobile phone payment at the pump are quite something else.

"Please do not use your phone unless it is for payment at the pump"

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 01:35 PM   #56
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by noemon View Post
I think it's just stupid for people to worry about things that you are not supposed to worry about.

This idea that there is any danger to anybody because of your engine running is totally fake.

I personally switch off the engine as a mater of habit, but I really don't care if the guy next to me is running their engine.

Karens may even have fist-fights with another person for no actual reason.

But I can picture the scene:

"Guy switch off your engine, I got kids in the car, why don't you respect my family" and such.

Guy be like,

"If I switch off, It don't start again, move to the next petrol station for your kid's sake".

But the mobile phone and the mobile phone payment at the pump are quite something else.

"Please do not use your phone unless it is for payment at the pump"

Lol it's not because something doesn't happen it's fake. There could still be a probability. No offense but man I'll never understand how some people rationalise the way you do, it's like if you never personally experienced something = fake not true. ???

Regarding the phone thing, it was proven and studied that modern phones don't do that. Not the same situation as a car running.
Appreciate 1
Sebis186.50
      02-29-2024, 01:49 PM   #57
noemon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
No offense but man I'll never understand how some people rationalise the way you do, it's like if you never personally experienced something = fake not true. ???
That is exactly my issue here too, I do not understand Karens and I will never understand the concept of the probability fear factor even though I am a trained mathematician in statistics or rather perhaps because of it.

There is a probability that you will be hit by a car when you cross the street, does that mean you ought to never cross the street? There is a probability lots of things will happen on a track day, do you not track your car? Do you not fly in airplanes? Not swim or boat?

Second, no friend, both the phones and the running engines are myths, real mythology, not reality.

There is no such "probability" of something happening to the gas station if car engines are running, in case you haven't noticed you go there with your engine running and depart with your engine running too, the guy behind you has their engine running as well as the guy in front of you and the guy next to you before using the same pump as you are as well as the guy after him. A pump is actually surrounded at all busy times by engines running. Running engines around gas pumps is what happens 99.9% of the time in a gas station while pumps are actively operating or not.

The operative safety measures of the station are built into the pump and tanks, not on the driver's side. And these safety measures are built with a purpose to withstand scenarios of engines running, cigarettes falling, phones talking, devices operating and even pro-active sabotage with locking mechanisms preventing one from starting a fire even if one tried. In fact, we see gas stations withstanding war, explosives and rockets.

The idea that you the consumer of the gas may be liable for safety in the gas station is another sinister unloading of liability onto the consumer to enhance the fear & stress factor.

Last edited by noemon; 02-29-2024 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
S1nner126.00
      02-29-2024, 02:11 PM   #58
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I read somewhere that fueling modern cars with the engine running messes with the evap system. How, I don't remember.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615278.50
      02-29-2024, 07:53 PM   #59
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

It’s strange because I’ve been in foreign countries with drivers who stopped at gas stations. They never turned the vehicle off. Mexico was for sure one of those. Ecuador was another.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:56 PM   #60
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entitled Prick View Post
I have a 2020 x3 with 36k miles on it at dealership now having charcoal canister replaced because I refill with engine running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I read somewhere that fueling modern cars with the engine running messes with the evap system. How, I don't remember.

03-01-2024, 12:17 AM   #61
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
why do anything slightly risky when the alternate is less risky?
You mean like having sex with a partner vs....?

Or drive fast on a nice race track vs ....?

Almost everything that the Karens consider risky is worth doing, mate. You should try them, then get back to us.
      03-01-2024, 12:27 AM   #62
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It’s just stupid not to turn off the motor. Regardless of the risk of explosion the consequences of it happening are catastrophic.
Explosion????!!!!

That is only in Hollywood movies, bro. There are no known mechanism for a modern well maintained car to explode due to leaving the engine running while refueling.

If you are incredibly paranoid, you would be grounding your car before refueling, because a static electricity spark is the most likely way to cause an incident while refueling (and that is incredibly unlikely). Not the running engine.

You do realize that a bunch of cars are driving into and out of the gas station while you are refueling right? Do you demand that every car around you must have the engine off until you finish refueling?

The lack of critical thinking in our society is astounding!
      03-01-2024, 12:47 AM   #63
DubaiRich
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4  [8.17]
I'm in Italy and there are any number of "unattended" self-serve stations. I fuel with the car running and haven't blown up...yet. Most of the locals leave the vehicle running while lighting a cig...just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 08:46 AM   #64
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
The lack of critical thinking in our society is astounding!
You are 100% correct. And I can assure my generation is not the one that is concerning.

03-01-2024, 10:39 AM   #65
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

It's not about blowing up. It's about screwing-up the evap system.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615278.50
      03-01-2024, 11:25 AM   #66
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Only when i need to keep up with the lead group because NASCAR
Appreciate 3
UncleWede18026.50