E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Official cigar thread

11-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #309
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 325is; 2007 E92 335i

Actually for me, it's my La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Miami Gran Corona Especiales. I have cigars that are more expensive and "higher end", but for me, these are some of my prize cigars (despite being a General Cigar product). Primarily because of sentiment and they're also hard to find.

Back in the early 90s, when I started smoking, I had the fortunate experience of having a Miami made LGC cigar and after that, could never find them again (just Dominican ones) until recently when these were released.

On a somewhat similar note (in terms of having prized cigars), my friends are down in Costa Rica and despite giving them a list of authorized Habanos SA dealers, they ended up going to the cigar shop at the Marriott that they're staying at. This picture is somewhat blurry but what are the chances that I am going to end up with a counterfeit? I asked them to get me Siglo IVs and Montecristo No. 2s.

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #310
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Once I get them, I'll post some close up pics on here for verification from the more seasoned Cuban smokers. I figure that I may have to dissect one as well? Well, at least smoke part of it before dissecting (in case I'm wrong).

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #311
///M-Night
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed
Once I get them, I'll post some close up pics on here for verification from the more seasoned Cuban smokers. I figure that I may have to dissect one as well? Well, at least smoke part of it before dissecting (in case I'm wrong).
No need too dissect my friend. Just enter the code on the box your friend gets you on this site. http://www.habanos.com/Sellos/Info/VerificaSelloCajon" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.habanos.c...SelloCajon</a>

Then you know if it's the real deal
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #312
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Night View Post
No need too dissect my friend. Just enter the code on the box your friend gets you on this site. http://www.habanos.com/Sellos/Info/VerificaSelloCajon" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.habanos.c...SelloCajon</a>

Then you know if it's the real deal
Nice! Thanks for the info! Just talked to them and they said that the pack of Siglo IVs were $300 and the Montecristo No.2s were even more expensive, so they picked me up a single Cohiba tubos for $50... :/

Not really worth it but we'll see I guess!

Tonight, I had a Casa Fernandez Miami that was handrolled at my B&M a month ago when Casa Fernandez visited. Decent enough but needed some time in the humidor. A medium to somewhat full stick. Started off a bit rough/harsh in the first few puffs and uneven burn in the 1st third. By the 2nd third, smoothed out and had some nice nutty nice, mild coffee flavors. Got a little harsher in the last third, on the retrohale, it was almost pungent/ammonia-esque. It would've been ok as a $3-4 cigar. I've had Casa Fernandez Aganorsa Leaf which i really really like but this wasn't as good.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #313
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
As far as prized cigars go I've got a couple Cohiba Behike 52s. Although I'll have to smoke them before coming back to the states . I kinda regret not getting a box of them on my way out of Germany They had them for sale at the airport and I was flying to Africa so while still not legal to posess them who would stop me? Getting a box of cuban cigars into the states would be a pain in the ass though and I dont want to risk it.
      11-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #314
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

So my friends did ok and they check out. Though not the greatest examples of what a good Cuban cigar is (I asked for Behike 52s, Montecristo No.2s, Partaga Serie D No. 4s and/or Trinidad Robusto Ts), I'm still grateful that they did that-it was the thought that counted!

Cohiba Robusto (I think it's a Robusto vitola-the tube that it came in was tossed by my friend before coming back), Bolivar Gold Medal and a pack of Montecristo Puritos.

Oh and most will notice the D.O.P. seal as reading "Cuba" instead of "Habanos-" these were applied to machine made cigars from 2011 and on.

Last edited by Jed; 11-05-2013 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #315
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
From my experience shopping around Germany the Behike 52s are hard to find. When you can find them they are expensive. If you're going to try to bring them to the US you have to decide if its worth spending more money on the cigar and possibly losing them at customs or even getting fined for bringing them in.
      11-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #316
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
From my experience shopping around Germany the Behike 52s are hard to find. When you can find them they are expensive. If you're going to try to bring them to the US you have to decide if its worth spending more money on the cigar and possibly losing them at customs or even getting fined for bringing them in.
I have 2 boxes if you want some!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #317
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Preparing for the colder weather with smaller quick smokes. Plus whenever I look at this thread, I want to have a cigar at work every time...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #318
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So I finally got my stuff back after it had been packed up in July for my move and went straight for the humidors. Both were around 45% humidity! Its going to take a little while to get everything back up to where it should be as both the humidors and the cigars are pretty dry. None of the good ones look damaged though so at least theres that. My stuff got into the country a couple weeks ago and I can only imagine its been sitting outside in the African sun waiting to clear customs.
      11-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #319
///M-Night
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641
So I finally got my stuff back after it had been packed up in July for my move and went straight for the humidors. Both were around 45% humidity! Its going to take a little while to get everything back up to where it should be as both the humidors and the cigars are pretty dry. None of the good ones look damaged though so at least theres that. My stuff got into the country a couple weeks ago and I can only imagine its been sitting outside in the African sun waiting to clear customs.
Hope you'll be able too rescue them.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #320
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ugh. That sucks. I guess a slow, gradual restoration is needed. Good luck!

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #321
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

For ///M-Night and other Tatuaje lovers. Picked these up tonight and plan on smoking them this weekend. A couple Tatuaje 10th anniversary grand chasseur TAAs and a Tatuaje black:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #322
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
For ///M-Night and other Tatuaje lovers. Picked these up tonight and plan on smoking them this weekend. A couple Tatuaje 10th anniversary grand chasseur TAAs and a Tatuaje black:
Those look very nice. Doesn't help I have some kinda cold and I'm jonesing for a nice smoke. Perfect temperature out in the patio for a nice long smoke.

Maybe I can smoke out the cold from my body.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #323
///M-Night
Private First Class
Rep

Man I been fighting a cold too! It's been keeping me away for my smokes
Those are some good looking sticks Jed! I'm gonna look for those TAAs.
Planning on heading down too Portland this weekend, some cigars on my list too bring back are of course tatuajes!!!!!'
I also plan too pick up the davidoff black series Nicaragua stuff and room 101 daruma too try. Anything new you guys tired and liked??
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #324
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So a week later both humidors are only sitting at around 50-52% RH. After talking to some people on a cigar forum my next step is to re-season my humidors and try to bring the cigars back in a seperate container. It was recomended to use Bovida packs to get more accurate RH around the cigars and the 84% packs to season the humidor. I had tried wiping the first humidor I got and it ended up warping the wood so I'm going to avoid that method and try these packs out. Unfortunately it takes 2-3 weeks for mail to get here so its going to be awhile before I see results. For the cigars I'm trying the 69% packs and putting them in a clear tupperware container so I can keep an eye on the hygrometer.

I also had an idea recently for a custom humidor. I like the idea of ones with trays that can be taken out so you can seperate different brands and avoid flavors mixing. Something I have yet to see is a humidor design that works like a fishing tackle box or a make up case with multiple trays stacked on top of eachother that extend up and out. Like this:
      11-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #325
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Those Boveda 84% seasoning packs work pretty well. You just need to leave in there for about a week (depending on how dry the humidor is) so that the wood itself is humidified and just not the ambient area when reading your hygrometer. I've used them with success and have had very stable humidifiers.

I also use the 69% packs in mine as well, I don't necessarily want 72s in there. Plus in your case, it's a good idea to start with something lower to gradually bring them back. I've had to restore cigars in the past and it takes awhile because you need to be mindful to keep it initially lower and do everything gradually so that wrappers don't crack. You may end up bringing back the wrapper at first and not restoring the binder and filler if you do it at too high a humidity.

One thing to keep in mind as well as you're re-conditioning/restoring your cigars, it's not the worst thing if you're humidor is reading a little high after you've brought it back. Your cigars will pull it back down and everything will start to stabilize with the Boveda packs maintaining it. I had that new humidor that I got from my rewards points and after conditioning it, I put some 69 packs and my FFOXs in there and the humidity dropped down within a day and it's been stable ever since.

Not saying I'm an expert but these have been my experiences.

Good luck! Hope you can get them back! It can take awhile but your patience will be rewarded.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #326
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Planning on heading down too Portland this weekend, some cigars on my list too bring back are of course tatuajes!!!!!'
I also plan too pick up the davidoff black series Nicaragua stuff and room 101 daruma too try. Anything new you guys tired and liked??
Man, both you guys need to drive out the cold with some nice hearty smoke!

Don't forget to get an Old Man and the C coffin! You'll like the Black Label culebras in there. Really good!

I think you'll like the Davidoff Nicaragua Puros. Keep in mind, that even though these are Nic Puros, they're not going to hit as hard as you would think but they do have a good flavor to them and are smooth. I normally smoke the Robustos but have been really enjoying the short coronas as of late.

One of the guys at my B&M recommended an AJ Fernandez Pinolero Maduro-I got the torpedo vitola. I liked it, had a nice nutty, cocoa rich flavor to it. A little more pepper towards the end. Nice construction with a nice burn line.

He also recommended an CLE/Eiroa Robusto. Nice flavors BUT draw was pretty terrible. I ended up putting out the cigar by the last third because it was so plugged.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #327
///M-Night
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed
Quote:
Man, both you guys need to drive out the cold with some nice hearty smoke!

Don't forget to get an Old Man and the C coffin! You'll like the Black Label culebras in there. Really good!

I think you'll like the Davidoff Nicaragua Puros. Keep in mind, that even though these are Nic Puros, they're not going to hit as hard as you would think but they do have a good flavor to them and are smooth. I normally smoke the Robustos but have been really enjoying the short coronas as of late.

One of the guys at my B&M recommended an AJ Fernandez Pinolero Maduro-I got the torpedo vitola. I liked it, had a nice nutty, cocoa rich flavor to it. A little more pepper towards the end. Nice construction with a nice burn line.

He also recommended an CLE/Eiroa Robusto. Nice flavors BUT draw was pretty terrible. I ended up putting out the cigar by the last third because it was so plugged.
Thanks for the info!
I'd let you guys know what I pick up next week
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #328
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
We're sending a guy here to Germany for some medical stuff and I'm REALLY tempted to have him pick me up a box of Behikes. I just don't know if I really wanna drop that much cash lol. If I remember correctly they were like 200+ Euros in the airport for a box.
      11-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #329
///M-Night
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We're sending a guy here to Germany for some medical stuff and I'm REALLY tempted to have him pick me up a box of Behikes. I just don't know if I really wanna drop that much cash lol. If I remember correctly they were like 200+ Euros in the airport for a box.
The behikes are pretty amazing!
I smoked 3 so far and I must say every cigar lover should try it! I have 2 boxes of BHK 52s sitting in my humidor
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #330
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Cigar Rights of America Sampler

Picked these up from my local shop. Anyone else see these floating around? $100 plus tax didn't seem like a bad deal. I'm looking forward to the Liga Privada and the Opus X since I've never tried either one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0