E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 17 year olds should not drive 335's

03-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #89
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjernazian View Post
... .008 ...
.08? Or maybe you're just extra careful?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #90
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
i'm going to dave and busters for the first time today, is it fun?
dude... it's the best place on earth! it's like chucky cheese for adults. all the cool games, lots of awesome prizes, and a bar right in the middle of the whole damn place!!! you'll have lots of fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #91
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
.08? Or maybe you're just extra careful?
yeah, sorry didn't notice the extra 0 there. lol. FYI- did you know it used to be .16?! one time i was at a bar in newport beach and they had a breathalyzer machine there. i blew into it and blew a .13, i was trashed (took a cab back). thanks to MADD for cutting the limit in half, no way anyone should be driving at .16.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #92
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
yeah, sorry didn't notice the extra 0 there. lol. FYI- did you know it used to be .16?! one time i was at a bar in newport beach and they had a breathalyzer machine there. i blew into it and blew a .13, i was trashed (took a cab back). thanks to MADD for cutting the limit in half, no way anyone should be driving at .16.
Nah I didn't know that. I know a lot of states used to be .1, but nothing beyond that.

I like those breathalyzer things.... I remember they had one at a bar I used to go to in Windsor in my college days.... Canada's great if you're 19-20 and close to the border....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #93
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

My dad didn't want me to get a '99 Civic Si when I was 17 because he thought 160hp in a little car was too much. I don't think high school kids need anything more than 200hp. I'm sorry but, 16-17 year old kids in general just don't have enough experience and maturity to be trusted with high horespower vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #94
SleepyE90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bavarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Point one: kudos to OP for letting someone else drive after he had been drinking.
Point two: how does one learn to drive if you don't push the envelope a little bit? Mind you, pushing it with a drunk brother in the car does not show good judgment.
Point three: I wish the kind of driver training young folks get in Germany was required in the USA. At least go to a BMWCCA Street survival course. My kids will.
Before I even got my license, my father was kind and smart enough to get me a driving instructor from BMW to work with me on my driving skills and teach me certain techniques which usually take years of driving to attain.
I don't want to start any controversy and say I am a better driver than anyone else on the forum, but thanks to my dad I sure as hell am a better driver now than I ever would have been without the instructor.
      03-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #95
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
dude... it's the best place on earth! it's like chucky cheese for adults. all the cool games, lots of awesome prizes, and a bar right in the middle of the whole damn place!!! you'll have lots of fun.
you're right it was hella fun!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #96
335R1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
While it seems very responsible, it is not. The OP got himself into this situation in the first place. If he didn't drink until he drops, then he won't have to have someone else drive his car and in turn endanger everybody else around him. An inexperienced driver that does not know the laws of physics and the limitation of the car can be just as dangerous as a drunk driver.

You just can't butter up an issue when the root cause of the issue is the OP himself.
Explain to me the difference between soundness, logic and rationality. If you can, I'll take your comments serious. Otherwise your explanation is just as ignorant as the premise behind the op's thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #97
335R1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
Hey man you brother just sucks at driving. I'm 17 and have an 08 335i and garentee u I drive as good or better than you. I learned at an airport from an English man who has been driving cars hard for 30 years. So thanks for sterotyping all young people with fast cars. Btw your drunk, passenger ass probably thought he was driving alot worse than he actually was. And if you think that I still shouldn't be driving my car, guess what? Your prejudice ass can't do a damn thing about it.
I'm at a lost for this comment. All I can say is you wouldn't survive in my platoon. I'd have you hauling two 50ib drums of water in each hand going up and down 3 floors of stairs for a) a full hour or b) until you fall, hit your head, and regain common sense. You just made me remember why I can't stand young kids. Let alone in the Army.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #98
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
Hey man you brother just sucks at driving. I'm 17 and have an 08 335i and garentee u I drive as good or better than you. I learned at an airport from an English man who has been driving cars hard for 30 years. So thanks for sterotyping all young people with fast cars. Btw your drunk, passenger ass probably thought he was driving alot worse than he actually was. And if you think that I still shouldn't be driving my car, guess what? Your prejudice ass can't do a damn thing about it.
Cobra Commander and Megatron taught me how to drive.
      03-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #99
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Confucious say: "If you can't buy one, you shouldn't drive one."

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #100
subec3b
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90, 335i

Quote:
Arrogant? What about my post was arrogant? did i ONCE say that i am such a great driver and my little brother is shit? the kid is learning, it's natural, i did the same thing when i was young, all i was saying is parents should think twice before putting such a monster of a car in the hands of a kid that is still developmentally, psychologically, and physically growing. he really is a great kid, but put that kind of power under someone who's not ready, well it's bound to end horribly. that is why i drove a junker until i was around 20 and that's the same thing he's doing now.

I looked like a fool by posting this thread? seems like a lot of people agreed with me, and called that one 17 year old who started this whole thing irresponsible and well, stupid. Also, weather you have 1 drink or 10, the first thing to go after you've had a drink is your judgment. I wouldn't risk my safety or my brothers or girlfriends by driving while they are completely sober and fully capable of operating a automobile, whether or not i was above .008 or not.

I did not say 17 year old's can't drive, i did not compare myself to any other driver. all of these points were made mostly by some of the more ignorant and defensive kids on this forum. you have a bimmer at 17? kudos to you, but don't think that by having 1 year of driving experience it makes you "a better driver" (although not my original point at all)
Talk all you want buddy but you are still arrogant and irresponsible period.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #101
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
Confucious say: "If you can't buy one, you shouldn't drive one."
Agreed. And it doesn't count as buying one if your parents pay for lodging, gas, insurance, etc. It is easy to make just one payment a month, and definitely does not prove any maturity.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #102
duyh
Team Blop
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M & 13 E92 M3

you guys sound like a bunch of jealous, ignorant, douchebags....but i guess that's the typical bmw driver. It doesnt matter if you give your kid a 335 or not. Whatever car you give them slow or fast they still have the possibility of hurting themselves. All of you talking about how you had corollas and civics when you were in highschool and how these kids are going to kill themselves with 335s. booo hooo suck it up. I would think that its more dangerous to get your kid a civic or integra than a 335. Even though those cars are slow stock it is quite easy to spend 2-3 grand on ebay parts and turn one of those into a 11 - 12 second car. If you ask me a car like that which lacks many safety features with that much speed is more likely to kill your kid than a 335. Just because there are only a couple of stories on this forum of kids crashing their 335s or expensive cars doesnt mean every kid that has a nice car crashes it. ive heard of more dumb kids killing themselves in shitty cars than in fast cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #103
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duyh View Post
you guys sound like a bunch of jealous, ignorant, douchebags....but i guess that's the typical bmw driver. It doesnt matter if you give your kid a 335 or not. Whatever car you give them slow or fast they still have the possibility of hurting themselves. All of you talking about how you had corollas and civics when you were in highschool and how these kids are going to kill themselves with 335s. booo hooo suck it up. I would think that its more dangerous to get your kid a civic or integra than a 335. Even though those cars are slow stock it is quite easy to spend 2-3 grand on ebay parts and turn one of those into a 11 - 12 second car. If you ask me a car like that which lacks many safety features with that much speed is more likely to kill your kid than a 335. Just because there are only a couple of stories on this forum of kids crashing their 335s or expensive cars doesnt mean every kid that has a nice car crashes it. ive heard of more dumb kids killing themselves in shitty cars than in fast cars.
Damn calm down man....we're just giving our opinions...no need to get crazy...You sound like a douchebag coming out like that....

It's a good point you're making but no need to come with it like that....don't take this shit so serious....it's just a fucking car forum...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #104
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
Teenagers that drive bmw's is a grey area. I received my 328i when i was 18 and just out of high school. I never asked for this car but i gladly took it. My father got me this car because he had seen a terrible car crash prior to me getting the car. I wouldve been fine with an old 318 and thats really what i though i was going to get but he got me the e90 328 instead. In my short driving career i have received one speeding ticket (got it cause i was speeding home to take a dump)
I would gladly give up this car and go down to an older model 3.

When teens get a fast car like the 335i, its the parents fault almost 99.9% of the time. They think that their child is going to abide by the law and drive cautiously but they dont see the potential of extreme danger. Parents buy their children BMW's partly because of the safety the car provides, but they also buy them the car because they spoil them.

If you are gonna call teens bad drivers, then you should call their parents bad parents for not properly helping them in the learning process.
I actually started learning how to drive when i was 12. I was big enough to see over the steering wheel and i drove without a problem. I have not been in a car accident either and im aiming that i will never have to experience that but life doesnt go by the plans you lay out.

Im not saying that im better than most drivers but im sure as hell not a terrible driver. Just be safe out there.
      03-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #105
duyh
Team Blop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
You mean like this? Where a teen drives an M3 into a house?

http://jalopnik.com/398971/bmw-m3-pl...ot-teen-driver

or like this? When a teen drives an M5 and wraps himself and 4 others around a tree killing them all?

http://jalopnik.com/349540/flying-bm...ts-darwin-wins

People that young should not be driving cars with that much power. They are going to get themselves killed. Again, There will be a lot of rich mommies and daddies with a dead child, thanks to their stupidity.

kids crashing expensive cars = more press

nobody cares when a kid crashes a civic and it happens often. when you go to the night races all the people that show up drive shitty cars and yet they still manage to hurt themselves with slow ass cars.

but i didnt mean to get so serious i just think these kinds of arguments happen waaaayyyyy to often on this forum. so i decided to give my input.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #106
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

being 17 was not too long ago for me (I am 24)...I definitely agree that 17 year olds should not get 335's as their first car. At least be 21 with a 300hp+ car.... I remember back in high school where people use to say the same exact thing, "i am responsible, i am a better driver, blah blah". Most of these people ended up crashing there cars at one point or another (few are not even in alive today).

I could care less if the parents can buy there kids nice cars (its their money)...but they shouldnt buy a 300+hp car... You can still have an expensive car/suv without the power (same goes the other way, you can have a powerful car that is not too expensive, I.E. camero)~
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #107
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

why is this thread even open? who cares if 17 year olds have bmws? its the parents decisions. its not your kid so dont worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #108
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You'd have to be a complete idiot of a parent to let your child have a 335i regardless of how good of a kid they are. I'm only 21 and have been doing driving events since I was 16. It has nothing to do with how mature the child is... it only takes one mistake in these cars to hit 150mph and kill some innocent person. I drove what I considered a relatively fast car when I was 16 (RSX Type S with 200hp). I was the goody goody of all my friends... and let me tell you... I should probably be dead.

I'd never buy my future children a car with so much power... the simple fact of the matter is that the teenage brain is not fully developed and thus no matter how "mature" they are... they have a problem relating actions and consequences.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #109
duyh
Team Blop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When a civic goes flying off a runway at 200 mph, or when one crashes into a house, it'll go public.

If you didn't want to be serious, why did you post that? Were you joking? :dunno: Usually, someone's opinion is serious.
it will go public but people wouldnt bother posting it on a forum or talk about it . but when a kid crashes a fast car everybody seems to have something to say. at the end of the day it just depends on the kid. if your kid is reckless and irresponsible it doesnt matter what car you buy them theyll still manage to crash it or endanger their lives. kids dont need a fast car to kill themselves it only has to be able to do 100+ to do damage and im pretty sure most cars today do over 100. however i will agree that no matter what teenagers say they will not be as experienced or as good as a older driver. but that doesnt mean they cant drive their car in a responsible manner. not all teens have the urge to drive fast and be reckless.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #110
duyh
Team Blop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I say it will go public, what I mean is it will be posted on auto forums as well and people will talk about it. Having 0 experience with that much power is going to get you killed. Especially for kids at that age, they just want to race. I won't generalize and say ALL teenagers are bad drivers, but the majority of them are.
i agree with you that all teenagers arent as good of drivers as they think they are. i just think its more about being a responsible driver. if you granny drive all the time you should be allowed to have a fast car and believe it are not there are teenagers that granny drive. some kids with nice cars are to scared to drive them recklessly because of the risk that they might mess up their car. a lot of times kids with cheaper cars dont respect their cars as much as kids with more expensive cars. but i see what youre trying to say and i agree with you i just think that its dumb how some people on the forum just think that to give ANY teen a fast car is a bad idea. i just think it depends on who your kid is.
Appreciate 0