E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 17 year olds should not drive 335's

03-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #67
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Driving at 17 - well, I made it to 18, and beyond...

Had a couple of fender scrapes - never with another car and no one was injured - thankfully.

I can clearly recall that a kid in High School flipped some other kid's dad's porsche. There was a bet involved.
      03-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #68
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Q: Will this thread gradually evolve into a bash a 17 year-old in a 335 thread?
A: Yes

Back to the point though. I started driving when I was 16 and I have to say that I was nervous and ridiculously careful, but this did not make me a good driver. Being a good driver is about being connected with your vehicle and knowing how to control it properly in adverse situations and knowing how to predict/control the environment around you.

Sometimes you dont learn these things until you are right there in the face of it and had to make those split-second decisions. I am now about to turn 25 and have never had any type of accident but I have been through some crap. I still dont consider myself a great driver but everyone else does just because of how connected I am to my car and how I know how to manipulate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #69
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
Hey man you brother just sucks at driving. I'm 17 and have an 08 335i and garentee u I drive as good or better than you. I learned at an airport from an English man who has been driving cars hard for 30 years. So thanks for sterotyping all young people with fast cars. Btw your drunk, passenger ass probably thought he was driving alot worse than he actually was. And if you think that I still shouldn't be driving my car, guess what? Your prejudice ass can't do a damn thing about it.
"I learned at an airport from an English man........"

Thats such a great line!

Im 48. I love and respect my 18 year old son whose been driving since 16. No tickets and no accidents! He drives a 4 cyl non turbo outback with a 5sp MT. He bitches and moans from time to time about it but he is alive and learned to drive well. After a year I let him take my 911 out with me and he does good with it. Very respectful. He does not touch any of my cars unless I am in it. He is in college now. 3 years driving with no incidents! I know If I let him loose with me not in them he'd tear it up. Why? Cuz thats what I used to do.

Im sure there are some wonderful young teens out there (they hate when you call them teens btw!) who don't drink, do drugs, never drive crazy and play nice christian rock on their logic 7. If so then they are the ones that really don't need or want such a car.

BMW's are hedonistic. It is a reward to drive such a car. Rewards should be earned to be fully appreciated. All 17 year old boys should want a 335. But few can handle the temptations.

And being a good driver is not somthing you learn on the track. ITs not about rev matching, toe and heal and finding the apex with an englishman. Its about getting to point a to point b and for years without incident.

Teens "think" they are good drivers. It takes years of experience. Nothing replaces experience.

Now Im not that good with my apex, my toe and heel, nor my rev matching and Im not english, but Im driving 31 years with no accidents! Three speeding tickets and no moving violations. I approach intersections and look at the cars on the right to see what they do. I don't pass on the right hardley ever. I drive "fast" but in control. I check my mirrors all the time and I don't give a rats ass who can take me! I don't drive fast all the time and I don't weave in traffic.

Young adults are incomplete people and generally lousy drivers. And don't get all offended by that because I was one also and thought I was the "shit" also.

I would never buy my son such a car. Im sure that rubs some the wrong way but I tell my children even me buying them a 10k used car is a bonafide gift and I assure them its better than what most kids get. There is always someone with a better car. Another problem with young adults is they handle envy not very well.

Don't sweat it kid, 17 year olds are not bad people, just incomplete.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #70
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
Looking into an ///M soon though.

How is a 17 year old driving a 335i? I was 19 and I only could afford a 328xi.
How the hell does anyone under 21 afford any newer bmw.....oh wait I know........mommy and daddy.

(Not pointing at you directly but a blanket statement pointing out the fact that until 21 you should still be in school and not have much time for a job that earns you enough money to buy a 30k+ car...so this means the majority have cars bought for them from mommy and daddy.)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #71
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Point one: kudos to OP for letting someone else drive after he had been drinking.
Point two: how does one learn to drive if you don't push the envelope a little bit? Mind you, pushing it with a drunk brother in the car does not show good judgment.
Point three: I wish the kind of driver training young folks get in Germany was required in the USA. At least go to a BMWCCA Street survival course. My kids will.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #72
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

17 year old is better than a 70 year old. If you tell a 17 year old to slow down he will. If you tell a 70 year old to do it, he'll give you the finger lol
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #73
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Mr Bargamon knows what he's talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #74
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

I'm surprised that this thread has remained relatively civil. Let's keep it that way.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #75
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CS Limerock Grey

I started driving when I was 16 thats when I got my lisense. I bought a 2006 audi a4 as my first car and drove that car for over a year with no tickets and no accidents. On christmas of 2009 my dad was going to get me a full tank of gas for a christmas present () but he ended up totaling the car on the way to the gas station. My dad is 48 with over 20 years of experience he drives a Mercedes s500. I know my dad is a good driver but you must understand even a mistake that is very minor can determine life or death in a car. If your brother wasn't there to drive for you that mistake could have happened to you. I know you like your 335i and you probably payed for it yourself but I would rather have the car face damage than anyone else on the road or even yourself. You made a responsible decision making your brother drive. He may not be a good driver now but he will eventually learn. I know I still am, I'm about to turn 18 and I got my BMW from my parents at the beginning of the year. I am really grateful and I know if I do anything to hurt myself or even that car I will no longer have one.

The funny thing is most of the people on this thread are older and I am just repeating information you all already know.. if I am

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #76
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
^^^^Arkansas!?!?! No wonder why you're so edgy!

To the OP... Hahaha
Yeah I heard on the news that sheep just aren't putting out this year for some strange reason. It's got the whole state in a tizzy.

But yeah I don't think it's that 17 year olds in general can't drive; they just generally lack the better judgment required to keep their testosterone in check. Of course, that's not a blanket statement, and I'm 200% sure there are 17 year olds that are better drivers, and maybe even better decision-makers than I am.

But, let's face it, it's a general truth backed by statistics that 17 year olds plus fast cars is more likely to equal trouble.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #77
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

i'm going to dave and busters for the first time today, is it fun?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #78
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Quote:
Hey man you brother just sucks at driving. I'm 17 and have an 08 335i and garentee u I drive as good or better than you. I learned at an airport from an English man who has been driving cars hard for 30 years. So thanks for sterotyping all young people with fast cars. Btw your drunk, passenger ass probably thought he was driving alot worse than he actually was. And if you think that I still shouldn't be driving my car, guess what? Your prejudice ass can't do a damn thing about it.
Let me help you out there "Hey man your brother just sucks at driving. I'm 17 and have an 08 335i and guarantee you I drive as good or better than you. I learned at an airport from an English man who has been driving cars hard for 30 years. So, thanks for stereo-typing all young people with fast cars. Btw, your drunk-passenger-ass probably thought he was driving much worse than he actually was, and if you think that I still shouldn't be driving my car, guess what? Your prejudice ass can't do a damn thing about it."

1. You should go back to school.
2. With that attitude you just lost all the respect on the forum.
3. You won't learn until you crash.
4. It's best to stay quiet so you don't look like a fool.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #79
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

To the OP and others on here,

Just because 1 teenager did something stupid does no mean all the teenagers are the same. Anyone who doesnt have a brain can do what your little brother did. I know and have meet people who are 25+ years of age and have taken traction off in the rain and decided to push the car 360 degrees on the streets.

Anyone can be stupid, anyone can crash, anyone can learn from mistakes, and any car could be dangerous not just a 335i.

You are just mad at what happened, and theirs nothing wrong with that. This is good for you and your little brother because this gives a chance for you to step up and teach your brother what may happen if their was a cop hiding on that street or if a girl was walking on that street and she feel and your brother ran her over.

You need to show him and teach him the effects of driving stupid. Its not worth it, it only takes 1 mistake to decide someone's life when getting into an accident.

I see your from glendale. I have many friends in Glendale, I even go to GCC (College in Glendale for those who do not know) and I can be the first to say that a hand full of Armenian drivers over there drive like morons and show off theirs cars which sets a bad example to young Armenians.

This all comes down to the older brother to make a difference before your brother does something bad that you or him cant even fix.

Good Luck.

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #80
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I'm surprised that this thread has remained relatively civil. Let's keep it that way.
I hope you didn't jinx it.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #81
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm 17 and have an 08 335i and garentee u I drive as good or better than you.
Well I can see your 335i wasn't awarded to you because of your grades in english class... perhaps you're a math genius?
      03-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #82
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

And everyone here who is bashing on the younger members or drivers need to stop. Because the older and wiser members should be helping and trying to explain to the young drivers right from wrong and plus, you guys are dropping your name and this forums name.

Try to be a bigger person and see past that some members cant spell right or drive right. Instead of being "better" than a member and showing off whatever your good at, try "helping" a member. Trust me, its worth it.

- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #83
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

And for your anyones curiosity. Im currently 20 and I have had this car since I was 17 and have been modding it from day 1.

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #84
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
More and More Rich mommy and daddy's are going to get their kids killed.
Reminds me of one of my friend's friends. Yeah... He totaled his 2008 335i because he wanted to break 100 MPH on a fairly small high way here. He ended up losing control and smashed his car into the divider. He came out perfectly ok, but his car was gone.

Fast forward 3 months later... Mommy and daddy buy him a brand new 2009 335i. Either these parents have a huge life insurance policy on the kid or they are idiots.

I'm thankful that my parents bought me my 325xi at 19. I've had it for almost 13 months and love the car, but if I ever totaled it, I would never expect my parents to buy me a new one. Hell, as of right now, I pay for everything the car needs including tires (run flats just have to be expensive, don't they?) unlike the kid who smashed his car (and my friend who is probably reading this right now ).

Edit - Actually, I think it was an xi, not an i.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #85
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Nah, it's just midnight and I cant deal with stupid people tonight
yeah, it must be SOO tough to be 17.. and have a band new 335i. Sounds like you got it bad.

To the OP though, I am 25 and have taken driving courses and you kind of described how I drive... To someone that doesn't know any better it seems too fast and like you are going to lose control but the driver can usually guage that a lot better than a passenger.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #86
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargamon View Post
"I learned at an airport from an English man........"

Thats such a great line!

Im 48. I love and respect my 18 year old son whose been driving since 16. No tickets and no accidents! He drives a 4 cyl non turbo outback with a 5sp MT. He bitches and moans from time to time about it but he is alive and learned to drive well. After a year I let him take my 911 out with me and he does good with it. Very respectful. He does not touch any of my cars unless I am in it. He is in college now. 3 years driving with no incidents! I know If I let him loose with me not in them he'd tear it up. Why? Cuz thats what I used to do.

Im sure there are some wonderful young teens out there (they hate when you call them teens btw!) who don't drink, do drugs, never drive crazy and play nice christian rock on their logic 7. If so then they are the ones that really don't need or want such a car.

BMW's are hedonistic. It is a reward to drive such a car. Rewards should be earned to be fully appreciated. All 17 year old boys should want a 335. But few can handle the temptations.

And being a good driver is not somthing you learn on the track. ITs not about rev matching, toe and heal and finding the apex with an englishman. Its about getting to point a to point b and for years without incident.

Teens "think" they are good drivers. It takes years of experience. Nothing replaces experience.

Now Im not that good with my apex, my toe and heel, nor my rev matching and Im not english, but Im driving 31 years with no accidents! Three speeding tickets and no moving violations. I approach intersections and look at the cars on the right to see what they do. I don't pass on the right hardley ever. I drive "fast" but in control. I check my mirrors all the time and I don't give a rats ass who can take me! I don't drive fast all the time and I don't weave in traffic.

Young adults are incomplete people and generally lousy drivers. And don't get all offended by that because I was one also and thought I was the "shit" also.

I would never buy my son such a car. Im sure that rubs some the wrong way but I tell my children even me buying them a 10k used car is a bonafide gift and I assure them its better than what most kids get. There is always someone with a better car. Another problem with young adults is they handle envy not very well.

Don't sweat it kid, 17 year olds are not bad people, just incomplete.

Bargamon.. post of the day man. Well said.
      03-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #87
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

this thread is still going haha i thought this would be locked up by the time i woke up.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #88
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
Being 25 does not automatically make you a better driver. That is INCORRECT period (no contest). However, one thing I am sure of is that your arrogant behavior will earn no respect here. In fact, I believe that you are no different than your 17 year old brother.

Based on your post, you claimed to be responsible. If you are responsible, you won't have got wasted and have to rely on your teenage brother to drive for you. If you are responsible, you would have waited until you become sober so you can drive your brother and his girlfriend home.

Since you are drunk, your body sensors will not react the same way as somebody who is not. While there is no witness to your brother's actions, however, I have reasons to believe that the information you provided about your brother is incorrect.

Go learn to be more responsible before you come back and start any more useless threads.
Arrogant? What about my post was arrogant? did i ONCE say that i am such a great driver and my little brother is shit? the kid is learning, it's natural, i did the same thing when i was young, all i was saying is parents should think twice before putting such a monster of a car in the hands of a kid that is still developmentally, psychologically, and physically growing. he really is a great kid, but put that kind of power under someone who's not ready, well it's bound to end horribly. that is why i drove a junker until i was around 20 and that's the same thing he's doing now.

I looked like a fool by posting this thread? seems like a lot of people agreed with me, and called that one 17 year old who started this whole thing irresponsible and well, stupid. Also, weather you have 1 drink or 10, the first thing to go after you've had a drink is your judgment. I wouldn't risk my safety or my brothers or girlfriends by driving while they are completely sober and fully capable of operating a automobile, whether or not i was above .008 or not.

I did not say 17 year old's can't drive, i did not compare myself to any other driver. all of these points were made mostly by some of the more ignorant and defensive kids on this forum. you have a bimmer at 17? kudos to you, but don't think that by having 1 year of driving experience it makes you "a better driver" (although not my original point at all)
Appreciate 0