E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Building of a Green Modular Home!

01-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Building of a Green Modular Home!

I own a construction company and we have begun construction on a green modular home. We will be going for a LEED rating on this house. There's some pretty cool technologies involved and I'll try to point them out as I update this thread. We are on a green building forum where we are running detailed blog about the project which you can read about here: ** Dubrow Enterprises - Green Modular Build Blog ** - Green Build Post Forum

Here's some pics of the progress so far. Today we just finished the footings which are crushed stone. We are using a pre-cast concrete foundation for this project and setting the foundation walls on Wednesday.

Last edited by J08M3; 02-02-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here's some pics of our finished foundation. Precast concrete set over crushed stone footing. Finished in one day and ready to build on starting tomorrow. Much more pics and info on our blog page.

Last edited by J08M3; 02-02-2010 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

looks brown
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here's a teaser pic of the house to come

Here's some info on the precast foundation walls

Last edited by J08M3; 02-02-2010 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

If anyone's interested in the rest of this build let me know and I'll be sure to keep updating this thread. Enjoy
      01-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Video of the demo of the house that used to be there

01-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
purespeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 67 cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
If anyone's interested in the rest of this build let me know and I'll be sure to keep updating this thread. Enjoy
Very interesting. Please keep the updates coming.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

please update the thread regularly. im in my 3rd year of architecture right now and taking structures, environmental control, and construction classes with my design studio. the more construction photos i see the better. i might also forward this thread to my instructors later. thanks in advance.
      01-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #9
yooooooo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

bus driver, move that bus!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purespeed View Post
Very interesting. Please keep the updates coming.

Thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft View Post
please update the thread regularly. im in my 3rd year of architecture right now and taking structures, environmental control, and construction classes with my design studio. the more construction photos i see the better. i might also forward this thread to my instructors later. thanks in advance.
Great, I'll keep it updated. New house is coming 1/13 check www.greenbuildpost.com for a more detailed thread and other green building talk.
      01-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
How much cheaper is it to build a house in modular sections like that then the old fashion way?
      01-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
How much cheaper is it to build a house in modular sections like that then the old fashion way?
I would say this house is coming in around 20-30% cheaper as a modular than if the same house was "stick built". Also, this house will be complete in 90 days. The factory has a few advantages for keeping price down. For example they buy huge quantities of materials so they get big discounts on material costs, and they also the advantage of constructing the same house over and over again on an assembly line.
      01-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

i'm a former civil engineer (still have my PE), so i'd be curious to see what kinds of simple technologies can yield big energy savings (example: improved insulation, paint selection, tinting windows, etc).
      01-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i'm a former civil engineer (still have my PE), so i'd be curious to see what kinds of simple technologies can yield big energy savings (example: improved insulation, paint selection, tinting windows, etc).
There's many ways to save energy. Here's a couple that are in this house:

Spray Foam Insulation: Much higher insulation value than traditional fiberglass batts. Also fills more voids in the walls. The obvious benefits here would be lower demand on heating and cooling the home, and the ability to use smaller more energy efficient heating/cooling equipment.

Tankless Hot Water Heater: 98% efficient producing hot water only when called for

If you notice the pics of the precast concrete foundation you will notice rigid insulation in the bays with an insulating value of R10, this will provide an insulated basement where the first floor HVAC duct work and equipment is, as opposed to running the duct work through unconditioned space. The same principles will be followed in the attic for the second floor HVAC equipment.

There are special asphalt shingles going on the roof of this house that will reflect the sun and reduce roof temperatures by as much as 20% in the summer.

There are many more ways to improve the efficiency of a home. We are working on another project starting soon, an 8,000 sq. ft. custom built green home that will have geothermal, solar power, advanced framing, and numerous other features that greatly lower energy demand. If you click the logo in my signature it will bring you to a green building forum where these and many other green technologies are being discussed in detail.
      01-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The wife and I needed to get our attic insulated badly so when we had the company out we got a quote for both the attic and to spray foam the exterior walls.

We got the attic blown in but didn't end up having the walls done. It was an extra $2,500 to do the foam for the walls, even with the tax credit it was still a little too much. We have a ranch and since the attic was already sparsely insulated we chose to see what difference we'll get with that done and re asses before next winter after we compare our heating bills if the wall foam is necessary.

Apparently only one company in our area does the expanding foam spray??? USA Insulation.

I really wish we had the tankless water heater. Our water heater died mid-week last fall. We needed a water heater that day so I obviously didn't have the time to do the research as well as get an electrician out to get everything wired.

Also out of curiosity, what would a general cost be to have a few solar panels installed to run a 1,800 sq. foot home?

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #16
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
The wife and I needed to get our attic insulated badly so when we had the company out we got a quote for both the attic and to spray foam the exterior walls.

We got the attic blown in but didn't end up having the walls done. It was an extra $2,500 to do the foam for the walls, even with the tax credit it was still a little too much. We have a ranch and since the attic was already sparsely insulated we chose to see what difference we'll get with that done and re asses before next winter after we compare our heating bills if the wall foam is necessary.

Apparently only one company in our area does the expanding foam spray??? USA Insulation.

I really wish we had the tankless water heater. Our water heater died mid-week last fall. We needed a water heater that day so I obviously didn't have the time to do the research as well as get an electrician out to get everything wired.

Also out of curiosity, what would a general cost be to have a few solar panels installed to run a 1,800 sq. foot home?
Do you have your HVAC equipment in your attic? Also did you have any insulation in your ceiling joist? That was a very cheap price for foam in the walls. How were they going to get the foam in there? Were they opened up already on one side?

Where I live the going rate for solar panels is approx. $7 a Kw. depending on which type of panel you go with. Federal government is also offering a 30% uncapped tax credit and most local or state governments are offering additional tax credits as well. on Long Island, NY - LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) was offering to pay for 50% of the cost, but as of January 1st reduced it to only 20%.

Not to stray from topic of the modular build, but here's a cool video I took of an electric meter running backwards after a solar panel installation. Also a link to finished pics of the solar project http://www.greenbuildpost.com/showpo...6&postcount=16
      01-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #17
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

We have Superior Walls in our basement. Just make sure any holes where plumbing or wiring go in get really well sealed. We have a leakage problem in one area where a pipe was improperly sealed.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #18
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
We have Superior Walls in our basement. Just make sure any holes where plumbing or wiring go in get really well sealed. We have a leakage problem in one area where a pipe was improperly sealed.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to keep an eye on that.
      01-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Stay Tuned!!..... New House is arriving this week!
      01-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #20
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Quote:

Stay Tuned!!..... New House is arriving this week!
Been excited to see what it's going to look like for real, not just on paper!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #21
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you have your HVAC equipment in your attic? Also did you have any insulation in your ceiling joist? That was a very cheap price for foam in the walls. How were they going to get the foam in there? Were they opened up already on one side?

Where I live the going rate for solar panels is approx. $7 a Kw. depending on which type of panel you go with. Federal government is also offering a 30% uncapped tax credit and most local or state governments are offering additional tax credits as well. on Long Island, NY - LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) was offering to pay for 50% of the cost, but as of January 1st reduced it to only 20%.

Not to stray from topic of the modular build, but here's a cool video I took of an electric meter running backwards after a solar panel installation. Also a link to finished pics of the solar project http://www.greenbuildpost.com/showpo...6&postcount=16
Our HVAC is in the basement.

No the only insulation that was in our attic was the original R-30 that was maybe a 1/2 inch thick it was soo old. Anyways they blew in new stuff about 6-8 inches above the joist.

They were going to drill holes in the morter(we have a brick home) every 4 feet or so and spray the expanding foam in the gap between the brick and the exterior wall after the brick.

Here's the companies video of the stuff they use.
http://www.usainsulation.net/usa-pre...ion-video.html

I really want to do the solar panels. I just don't think we would get the money back from installing them. I don't even know where to start to even call a company in my area. No one seems to be pushing them around here. That's a shit load of solar panels on that house haha. Does LIPA send that family a check for the electricity they are sending back into the grid?

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I really want to do the solar panels. I just don't think we would get the money back from installing them. I don't even know where to start to even call a company in my area. No one seems to be pushing them around here. That's a shit load of solar panels on that house haha. Does LIPA send that family a check for the electricity they are sending back into the grid?
I'm surprised you can't find a local company? Is there a recommended installers section on the SunPower website?

Yes in theory if you can produce more electric than you use you will receive a check from the electric company. That certainly won't happen with the size system I've shown here.