E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Fly in a salad, whats your take?

05-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Fly in a salad, whats your take?

OK, so I was in the mood to try something new and went to this Saladworks by my store. I did pick up so Im eating it back at my desk now.

Im taking my bites when I come across a dead fly on one of the leaves of lettuce.

Ive already eaten about 1/4 of the salad and it seems pretty fresh. I dont see any other flies. I just amount this up to me being the random person to get the fly.

Im hungry and not wasting $9 by throwing the salad out so Im still eating.

Anyone else have an issue with this?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

9 dollar a salad? I would eat the fly too
      05-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
9 dollar a salad? I would eat the fly too
protein man..

i would have thrown it out and never eaten there again, not because i think the fly shows the place is un-sanitary, but because thats just gross and i would get a lump in my throat anytime i ate there again
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
protein man..

i would have thrown it out and never eaten there again, not because i think the fly shows the place is un-sanitary, but because thats just gross and i would get a lump in my throat anytime i ate there again
Well I emailed them a complaint. However, Im not wasting the salad. Ill eat it now but debate on eating there again.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

LOL this thread is great
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
thats nasty. that fly could have sat on shit before it landed on your salad. theres protein for you. i would complain.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

It depends, did the fly have a shine to it? If it did, I'd be grossed out cause that fly was dining on some poo before he touched your salad. If he was black, I'd still be grossed out but not as much.
      05-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post

Anyone else have an issue with this?
Hopefully they threw in some "Self Respect" along with the Lettuce, Grilled Chicken, Red Peppers and Sesame Vinagrette...because no self-respecting person would have finsihed a $9 salad with a fly in it.

Whats next??? If the guy at Hale and Hearty takes a dump in your Corn Chowder are you going to finish that as well??? What if the Clam Bisque is a little "Creamier than usual" and the server has a big grin on his face? You going suck all that chowder down also?

Plllllllease...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
Juggs
Bavarian Motor Werks Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i sport

i would sue for mental anguish immediately. ask for millions in compensation and tell them you wont settle for anything less than a six figure mark.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Hopefully they threw in some "Self Respect" along with the Lettuce, Grilled Chicken, Red Peppers and Sesame Vinagrette...because no self-respecting person would have finsihed a $9 salad with a fly in it.

Whats next??? If the guy at Hale and Hearty takes a dump in your Corn Chowder are you going to finish that as well??? What if the Clam Bisque is a little "Creamier than usual" and the server has a big grin on his face? You going suck all that chowder down also?

Plllllllease...
Well actually, do you really comprehend how many bugs and flies you DO eat on a daily basis? Ive worked in many restaurants and can tell you but you dont want to know.

Its all a reaction in the psyche. If you know, then youre grossed out, if not then you keep eating. If I had eaten the fly instead of seeing it then this thread wouldnt be here and nobody would be the wiser. However, being that I did see it and knew that I could have eaten it but took it out, the salad was pristine now.

Im not accepting of this as something to agree with as I did send them a nasty complaint. However, in terms of the "self respect", Im running a store where Im the only employee. I cant just close up shop and drive to the saladworks to complain about a fly. Thats just not money management.

Secondly, I hardly doubt eating a fly(or finding it before you eat it) is the same as accepting someone taking a dump in your soup. I may be wrong here but most of the time, e-coli reports are from workers not washing their hands, not flys in salad.

Take that for what its worth.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

What kind of store do you have?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What kind of store do you have?
T-Mobile.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Quote:

Plllllllease...
chill man... the big companies are allow 0.3% of their food that's grinded by machines to have rat poo and/or bugs in it. Something to think about before you eat your snacks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
chill man... the big companies are allow 0.3% of their food that's grinded by machines to have rat poo and/or bugs in it. Something to think about before you eat your snacks
Thanks for that...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

take a picture of it with your camera phone... and toss the salad.

nothing like having baby maggot eggs on your lettuce.

bring the picture back to the salad works and expect them to give you a free salad or two.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Pictures won't work anymore...too easy to plant a fly or ..*cough* finger ..in soup - or this case a salad.

You need to complain right away and get the manager right then and there. Email? Hah, they probably think you're joking. Anyone seriously disgusted by it will complain as soon as it happens. I would.

Thats nasty - I would have complained, demanded the $9 back then filed a complaint with better business bureau. I'm not a jerk - I would have done it with respect, but you may just get them to clean up their act and save someone from getting sick...or worse.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #17
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0perat0r View Post
You need to complain right away and get the manager right then and there. Email? Hah, they probably think you're joking. Anyone seriously disgusted by it will complain as soon as it happens. I would.
Unfortunately like I said, It was pick up and I didnt find it till I was back at my desk. However, their customer relations on the website included the time and receipt number including all my information and a note. Im pretty sure they got the message.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #18
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Unfortunately like I said, It was pick up and I didnt find it till I was back at my desk. However, their customer relations on the website included the time and receipt number including all my information and a note. Im pretty sure they got the message.
Oh, yeah I know...wasn't really directing that at you specifically, just a general statement.

I got food poisoning from Chipotle's Mexican Grill 2 years ago...worst 3 days of my life, i'd never been so sick. Of course I couldn't prove it ...the evidence was on the side of a major highway and in the septic ...a few...you get the idea. It irritates me to hear these things happen to others. A fly in your food is just as bad imo. Just a little fire gettin flamed in me when i hear about this.

I never went after Chipotle's ...don't have a case without some sort of proof.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

doesn't phase me, you gotta have some practice germs once and awhile or else when something big comes along your immune system is all outta practice and lazy.
      05-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #20
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

About 20 years ago I went to a Burger King restaurant. I was going to eat lunch there. I had to use the restroom first. When I was washing my hands in the mens room, a Burger King emplyee was exiting a stall. He didn't wash his hands. I followed him out the door and saw him go back to work.

I didn't eat at Burger King for 15 years after that (and I haven't eaten at one for the last two years either).

A teacher when I was in junior high school told the class about his having lived in Samoa. He explained that bread there has lots of bugs baked into it. He said that at first you pick the bugs out. After awhile you just eat them.

I would never live in Samoa.

You can't always worry about all the disgusting things that are in the food supply. You would probably starve yourself to death. But when something unusual for your day to day routine comes up, you have to do something different, like not eat the salad. I would have thrown it out and went hungry if I couldn't go out for something else. I would remember that fly far longer than I would remember going hungry.
      05-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #21
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I would have thrown it out and went hungry if I couldn't go out for something else. I would remember that fly far longer than I would remember going hungry.
Its much easier for a girl to say shes willing to starve herself rather than eat something cus of a silly fly. Im not picking on you Jessica but Im pretty sure scott would have eaten the damn salad regardless of the fly.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #22
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

^he said he was in the men's room dude lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
doesn't phase me, you gotta have some practice germs once and awhile or else when something big comes along your immune system is all outta practice and lazy.
booger eater

Quote:
Thanks for that...
not a problem at all

to the OP, i don't see a problem with what you did. You were hungry, and you paid nine dollars for a salad. If it doesn't taste wrong, why toss it?
Appreciate 0