E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Developing MOG Music Streaming App for BMW Apps

08-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Developing MOG Music Streaming App for BMW Apps

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Developing MOG Music Streaming App for BMW Apps
COMMENTS
Name:  110822_BMW_MOG_Image.jpg
Views: 5261
Size:  54.3 KB

MOG On-Demand Streaming Music Service and BMW to develop in-car integration for on demand music for BMW USA.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ and Berkley, CA – August 22nd, 2011… BMW of North America announced today that it is partnering with MOG to develop a new BMW Apps Certified App, which the companies expect to bring MOG’s award winning, on-demand streaming music service to BMW vehicles equipped with the BMW Apps smartphone app integration option. The two companies will demonstrate a beta version of the app at the North American press launch of new 6 Series Coupe.

“The partnership with MOG is another great step for BMW Apps, as we continue to listen to our customers and work to assess, develop and launch the apps they want most in a timely manner,” said Paul Ferraiolo, Manager of Product Planning and Strategy for BMW of North America. “The development of BMW Apps enables us to bring new features into the car with a speed that simply was not possible before. Stayed tuned, there will be more to follow.”

"We're thrilled to work with BMW to unveil a premium automotive integration of an on-demand music service," said David Hyman, CEO of MOG. "We remain focused on giving people ways to enjoy music wherever they are, and we are jointly designing a MOG user experience specifically for BMW USA that makes it fast, easy and safe for drivers to enjoy unlimited, uninterrupted music and still focus on the road. People listen to music while driving more than anywhere else, so it’s critical for us to offer MOG in the car," Hyman added.

Name:  110822_BMW_MOG_Image.jpg
Views: 5261
Size:  54.3 KB

The demonstration app that will debut in Monterey will preview the advantages of offering an on demand music service that is deeply integrated into BMW’s premium ConnectedDrive technology.
The beta MOG app for the BMW Apps option showcases the following capabilities:
  • On-demand streaming: Unlimited, ad-free listening to any artist, album, or song at any time from virtually anywhere.
  • Seamless integration: Easy to browse and search, play, re-play, or skip to your favorite songs using the existing BMW iDrive controller and steering wheel controls.
  • Storage: MOG will allow users to store their MOG music on their phone, enabling access to their favorite titles even when a data connection is not available.
  • MOG radio: Only MOG offers patent-pending "MOG Mobius" music discovery engine, which enables users to switch between true "artist only" radio or a full mix of similar artists.
  • Curated content: Users will have access to New Releases, Editor’s Picks, top Charts, Featured Playlists, and Custom Radio in addition to their own tagged songs from within the MOG music service.
  • Highest quality audio: MOG downloads music at 320kbps, which provides the highest quality listening experience.
The final MOG app would allow BMW USA customers to download the MOG app, connect an iPhone via USB, and MOG will immediately work with the existing BMW Navigation systems equipped with the BMW Apps option.

MOG offers a $9.99 per month MOG Primo subscription plan, which provides subscribers with access to MOG for unlimited, on-demand listening access online at MOG.com, through the MOG app on iPhone and Android phones, through compatible CE devices from major manufacturers such as Roku, Sonos and LG, and soon Samsung and Vizio, , all via a single MOG account.

About MOG
MOG, Inc. is a next-generation music media company founded in June 2005 by David Hyman, former CEO for Gracenote. MOG's all-you-can-eat, on-demand listening service provides access to a vast library of over 11 million songs and over one million albums through its mobile apps on iPhone and Android phones, online, and on streaming entertainment devices. MOG, Inc. is also the provider of The MOG Music Network (MMN), the premier destination for music content online and largest music focused advertising network consisting of over 1500 music sites, reaching nearly 40 million people each month.

Headquartered in Berkeley, California, MOG Inc. investors include Menlo Ventures, Balderton Capital, Simon Equity Partners, Universal Music Group and Sony Music. Grammy-winning record producer Rick Rubin, named by TIME Magazine as one of the "100 Most Influential People in the world," is a member of MOG’s Board of Directors.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Madhouse
Driving on the wrong side of the road...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
Now to see if it will work in Canada...as Pandora does not...

Ordered 18 May 2011|Production Week 22|Completed 1 Jun 11|Arrived 8 Jul 11!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I can't imagine paying $9.99/mo for music on top of already paying for satellite plus all the music on my iPhone.

As for the iPhone integration, while having the album art displayed is very nice, actually getting music to play is rather tedious because iDrive takes over the iPhone. Usually I just like to shuffle all songs but the only way to do that is go to a playlist I created called "All" start playing a song, then go to the next screen to select "random". I wish I could just put my iPhone on shuffle and then be done with it. Also, I have an app called "True Shuffle" that shuffles music much better, but I can't use it when hooked up to my car.
      08-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
drwoodsy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Now to see if it will work in Canada...as Pandora does not...
Not officially but it does work through VPN and you can get the app from the US store with an easy to set up US iTunes account (no US cc req).
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

As I can see the only streaming option we have in Canada is RDIO. Hopefully BMW will support it...
      08-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

i wonder when BMW is going to start caring about people that dont have iphones

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
No body cares about people that dont have iphones. :P
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
BimmaDrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 325 Ci

MOG looks pretty neat...especially if it will stay true to the 320 bitrate quality. I like that it'll work amoungst other devices (even non-Apple).

Quote:
+1

Andriod devices now outnumber iphone's.

Of course, I am only talking about smartphones and not including ipods...but USB memory sticks and external hard drives surpass the number of ipods out there (and they are cheaper too).

But I'm not too worried, I have faith that BMW will catch up with the rest of the tech market. Until then, I don't mind them lagging while they develope more awesome engines to go into their sexy vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

Quote:
pff, prob never. apple has that young "hip" image that BMW has been creaming itself over these days
      08-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmaDrew View Post
Andriod devices now outnumber iphone's.
And GM sales outnumber BMW sales, so.... GM > BMW! Er, wait....
      08-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
rightnow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335d 2010 - Imola Red

Only one big flaw. It should have been spotify not mog.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
Bimmer65
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow View Post
Yes, I agree. And itīs a true lie that you can listen to webradio stations from all over the world via BMW Connected app if you live in Europe, as described in the X3 catalogue.

You can do better BMW!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
DLerner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, X164 GL550

Love more aps. Hate more monthly fees.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #15
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

I wish BMW would stop with the toys and spend more time developing efficient NA engines.(pipe dream I know)

/rant