E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Some photos from Palm Desert - Nikon D7000 (and a couple iPhone shots)

06-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Some photos from Palm Desert - Nikon D7000 (and a couple iPhone shots)

Comments/criticism always welcome! Enjoy the country club-ish and desert-like photography!

2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
DOCTOR 3VIL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/E92 M3

Love my D7000. With a little editing, pictures come out amazing
Here is a night one I took from Santa Barbara
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR 3VIL View Post
Love my D7000. With a little editing, pictures come out amazing
Here is a night one I took from Santa Barbara
That is an amazing shot!

Here is one of the images above edited a bit on basic iPhoto

2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Take it or leave it. This is from my experience from taking photos:

I would suggest enabling the grid view in your view finder for your camera. This will help you with a couple of things
A) it will help you take your pictures straight and not at an angle. Unless that is your intention
B) it will help you with the Three-Fourths Rule and the placement of your subject. Whether it be a thing or a person
C) It will help you take better portrait pictures

I would say get very familiar with White Balance. Your D7000 has many settings. Unless you are going to tell your camera what the White Balance is every time you go shooting, I would suggest setting it to K (Kelvins). This will help capture the images that you want and give them a pop. You can use your Live view to adjust your white balance to see what the picture will look like before you take it. Auto for white balance works well but in order for it to work as intended, you need an object to be white in the picture. Otherwise the camera, based on what it sees, will calculate what the white balance needs to be and apply it upon taking the picture.

For your first picture, I really like it a lot. But it seems you had your ISO set a bit to high for day time. I say this because your sky is grainy. Your others pictures do not seem to have this problem.

And a good program to use for editing picture that makes things easy for anyone is Adobe Lightroom. I have an example from your pictures on what the program can do.

Other than that, I enjoyed looking at your pictures. Oh and just to make sure I am not full of it. here is a small sample of my work. Enjoy

Oh and one more thing. What type of lens did you use? 18-55mm

06-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
Take it or leave it. This is from my experience from taking photos:

I would suggest enabling the grid view in your view finder for your camera. This will help you with a couple of things
A) it will help you take your pictures straight and not at an angle. Unless that is your intention
B) it will help you with the Three-Fourths Rule and the placement of your subject. Whether it be a thing or a person
C) It will help you take better portrait pictures

I would say get very familiar with White Balance. Your D7000 has many settings. Unless you are going to tell your camera what the White Balance is every time you go shooting, I would suggest setting it to K (Kelvins). This will help capture the images that you want and give them a pop. You can use your Live view to adjust your white balance to see what the picture will look like before you take it. Auto for white balance works well but in order for it to work as intended, you need an object to be white in the picture. Otherwise the camera, based on what it sees, will calculate what the white balance needs to be and apply it upon taking the picture.

For your first picture, I really like it a lot. But it seems you had your ISO set a bit to high for day time. I say this because your sky is grainy. Your others pictures do not seem to have this problem.

And a good program to use for editing picture that makes things easy for anyone is Adobe Lightroom. I have an example from your pictures on what the program can do.

Other than that, I enjoyed looking at your pictures. Oh and just to make sure I am not full of it. here is a small sample of my work. Enjoy

Oh and one more thing. What type of lens did you use? 18-55mm
Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely open to the criticism and I will take it to heart when I shoot next!

Also, the first picture was taken with my iPhone5 haha. I think that was the only one out of the batch.

And I used a Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2.8
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #6
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely open to the criticism and I will take it to heart when I shoot next!

Also, the first picture was taken with my iPhone5 haha. I think that was the only one out of the batch.

And I used a Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2.8
nice lens you got there. Oh I forgot to mention, if you shoot raw and import your photos into Lightroom, the program will auto load the correct lens profile for you and correct necessary distortion.

EI: when shooting at 17mm with that lens the corners get hot and start to bulge. Lightroom auto compensates for that and flattens out your image correctly.

Happy Shootings!!!!
      06-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
nice lens you got there. Oh I forgot to mention, if you shoot raw and import your photos into Lightroom, the program will auto load the correct lens profile for you and correct necessary distortion.

EI: when shooting at 17mm with that lens the corners get hot and start to bulge. Lightroom auto compensates for that and flattens out your image correctly.

Happy Shootings!!!!
Thanks!! You too.
Appreciate 0