E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > For those who are married...

03-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #89
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
+1
+1. And my wife drives a stick!

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #90
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

I've been married for over a year now and Im 28 years old. It's definitly changing. i bought the 335i a couple months ago and she was excited at first. But she has used it against me numerous times when she wants something. When i got the wheels on my car, that was pretty much my first encounter with the new way of life. I got a pretty long lecture from her on how I should be handling finances. "Did you really need those wheels?". I mean she has a point of course, you never "need" a mod. That's what I'm starting to relize more and more. It's more worth putting that 1k into a vacation, then buying those wheels. You'll both enjoy it.
She's already starting the saving for a child thing. Your priorities sure change when your married. Unless of course you get a girl into cars like some here have. Heck all my friends have kids now. They pretty much all drive mini-vans or crossovers. You can get away with your wife driving that car, but like my friends say, it gets to the point where it's just easier for you to drive something similar also for the kids. I guess bending over to put a kid in the car gets old?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #91
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
Heck all my friends have kids now. They pretty much all drive mini-vans or crossovers. You can get away with your wife driving that car, but like my friends say, it gets to the point where it's just easier for you to drive something similar also for the kids. I guess bending over to put a kid in the car gets old?
Getting the kids in and out is not that big of a deal, the main problems are hauling around all the (un)necessary crap that goes with them! That and whatever car the kids ride in gets trashed because mom doesn't really care that much. The X5 is just a tool now to get used up and replaced when necessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #92
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Interesting thread! Married, 41, two boys, completely separate bank account, only buy something if I can pay for it - no financing, still got some grief for the GT3RS. She likes the M3 a lot though. Being a car enthusiast is serious disease, women are usually immune.
She got me all kind of garage equipment though throughout the years for x-mas, b-days etc. She refuse to drive anything except manuals. Even our family wagon is manual.
It is a balancing act and need to plan ahead. I already planted the seeds of a new car with ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #93
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Nope, not at all. Only requirement was that I be up front with what I want to do since she doesn't want to ride in an uncomfortable or "ricey" car.

I will also say that my wife is in no way an enthusiast, so it's a bit strange that she's cool with my mod-bug.

We don't have kids yet though, thankfully.
      09-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #94
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

My wife is an enthusiast (she got me into autocross driving). When I mentioned getting a Dinan exhaust for the new car, she asked if it was going to be loud enough

No kids so we enjoy our car children.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #95
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Married, not necessarily. When the kids come, I'd say yes.

Is this due to needing more room or kids can't ride in a "fast" car?

I've seen a guy with a newer M5 and his plates read "FASTDAD"...I figured he's having his cake and eating it too. 500HP family car.
That is because the M5 is a "proper" family car! Lol! Thanks to BMW, we now have better reasons to convince the wives!
      09-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #96
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

If you're a pussy whipped type, your marriage will almost certainly end in a nasty divorce (as more than 50% of all marriages do nowadays) after years of miserable, sexless existence. Not being able to spend money on mods will be the least of your worries. Just something to consider...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #97
onehungevo
Captain
Rep
Drives:

You have to find a wife that likes cars and understands. The only problem is she will probably expect to get a nice car decreasing your car funds. When the kids come along just buy a Honda or something to drive them around in.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #98
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92addict View Post
Does the modding/fun end? Me, I'm a 27 year single guy, with no debt, decent income and a serious passion for cars. I want to know, does that kind of all go down the drain when you say "I do"? I just can't picture myself having to get rid of my e92 for a "family car"...

EDIT: Although I appreciate all input, I'd prefer insight from married people only!

YES.. everything you enjoy ends.. even masterbation..
      09-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #99
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

I think it depends on how you and your wife have set the rules.

For me, I am married. We have two kids, both under two. I have my income, my wife has hers. We split the bills as a proportion. I earn just about double what my wife does so we split the bills two thirds I contribute towards, the other third my wife contributes towards. That way then any money spare we have to spend on whatever we want with no hassle.

For me, I have just got my F30 with a spec list a mile long. I pay for it out of the money I have left each month and so everything is fine. My wife has the family wagon which she hates but as she is the one who does the baby runs then she knows it is a necessary evil. When the time comes that they have grown up a bit then she knows she can splash the cash on whatever she wants. In the meantime, she has her shoes and handbags to enjoy

You have to do what works best for you. Marriage is all about working together. Some of the time you have to compromise, some of the time she does. All of the time though you have to do what is best for both of you no matter how much it may hurt. The right woman is far more important than any car. A car will last for a few years, the right woman will last a lifetime
      09-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #100
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Great thread!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #101
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Just got engaged over the weekend and some of my friends are asking how much I want to sell my turbo M3 for? lol

She love that I have a car hobby, helps balance the spending on clothes and purses for her as well. She likes riding in the car but cant drive it. She can barely drive a manual tranny but cant even start to drive a solid 6puck race clutch.

I dont see my car hobby going anywhere or this whole buying an expensive ass ring thing would not have happened and she knows it. Equal sacrifices for both....hell I just bought her a ring and then yesterday booked us a week trip to an all inclusive in Riviera Maya, she gets hers....I get mine.

Hopefully that will stand the test of time

09-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #102
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

wow this is one old thread.... i guess its back from the dead.

married as of june this year. had to sell my m3 after the wedding... and wife sold her old maxima as well.

this is what we got bout a month ago. STI is her first stick shift car she ever owned... she's been having great fun with it.
Attached Images

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #103
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Just got engaged over the weekend and some of my friends are asking how much I want to sell my turbo M3 for? lol
Congrats (on the engagement, not the friends that want to steal your car)!

09-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #104
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
The right woman is far more important than any car. A car will last for a few years, the right woman will last a lifetime
So true!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #105
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post

She love that I have a car hobby, helps balance the spending on clothes and purses for her as well. She likes riding in the car but cant drive it. She can barely drive a manual tranny but cant even start to drive a solid 6puck race clutch.

I dont see my car hobby going anywhere or this whole buying an expensive ass ring thing would not have happened and she knows it. Equal sacrifices for both....hell I just bought her a ring and then yesterday booked us a week trip to an all inclusive in Riviera Maya, she gets hers....I get mine.

Hopefully that will stand the test of time
Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #106
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
The right woman is far more important than any car. A car will last for a few years, the right woman will last a lifetime
And it is a much bigger headache and a lot more $ to replace a wife than a car.
Appreciate 0