BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

08-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #45
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

What's most important to me is the sound from the cockpit, and the M3 with filter/intake is up there with Ferraris (and yes I've driven the latter). But the Porsche exhausts are right next to the engine, so what comes out is going to be louder and less muffled than moving a bunch of air for 6-7 feet through pipes (or more if you have cats). I think the Porsches with sport exhaust sound great from the outside, but so do a lot of M3 exhausts (Dinan, Supersprint, and MPE being my favorite), so it may be a matter of opinion in that regard. Stock for stock though, Porsche sounds better.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #46
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
No, it's no where near being the best stock exhaust note!
Well we all know it is just a matter of opinion. I think at a certain point, there are a lot of engines/exhausts that sound great. They are all a bit different, but to say that one is truly "better" than another may not be accurate.

One must also remember that there is engine sound, exhaust sound, then the combination of the two. At low rpms, it is likely the exhaust sound that is the dominant aural sensation. At high rpms, the engine plays a more significant role. With the M3, it is really the sound of the engine that is magnificent, moreso than the exhaust. Same with the V10 M5/6, and Lambos and Ferrari. With my Porsche, it is clearly the exhaust itself that gives the greater satisfaction. Same can be said for AMG cars.
      08-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #47
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

The E92 M3 with MPE has the best of both worlds. The induction note from within the cabin is marvelous with that unique and very mechanical symphony, which is hard to match. The exhaust note on the outside is equally awesome. I used to marvel at it when valets parked my car in those days. The S65 had a lot of character in its sound signature unlike many much louder cars that just sounded boomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Well we all know it is just a matter of opinion. I think at a certain point, there are a lot of engines/exhausts that sound great. They are all a bit different, but to say that one is truly "better" than another may not be accurate.

One must also remember that there is engine sound, exhaust sound, then the combination of the two. At low rpms, it is likely the exhaust sound that is the dominant aural sensation. At high rpms, the engine plays a more significant role. With the M3, it is really the sound of the engine that is magnificent, moreso than the exhaust. Same with the V10 M5/6, and Lambos and Ferrari. With my Porsche, it is clearly the exhaust itself that gives the greater satisfaction. Same can be said for AMG cars.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2015, 05:31 AM   #48
isherdholi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I've got an Akra.

I've not heard any Porsche which sounds as good.

/thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #49
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clar
The E92 M3 with MPE has the best of both worlds. The induction note from within the cabin is marvelous with that unique and very mechanical symphony, which is hard to match. The exhaust note on the outside is equally awesome. I used to marvel at it when valets parked my car in those days. The S65 had a lot of character in its sound signature unlike many much louder cars that just sounded boomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post

I could have not said it any better...E92 with the MPE is unique, perfect match of sound and loudness, just right!

There is nothing to compare here between the 991 911 and the E92 M3, I own both 991C2S with PPE and E92 with MPE, and both produce magnificent sound. It is not a matter of which one sounds better, there just different.

In a lot cases people confuse sound and loudness, loud does not equal to good sound.

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #50
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEOF40 FS M3 View Post
I could have not said it any better...E92 with the MPE is unique, perfect match of sound and loudness, just right!

There is nothing to compare here between the 991 911 and the E92 M3, I own both 991C2S with PPE and E92 with MPE, and both produce magnificent sound. It is not a matter of which one sounds better, there just different.

In a lot cases people confuse sound and loudness, loud does not equal to good sound.
Completely agree! The sound from my Speciale leaves much to be desired. It's a lot louder, but mostly shitty low boomy sound. It has its moments, which sounds like an angry storm, but for the most part, is uninspiring. For me, the E92 with MPE wins hands down in the sound department. I am still banging on the dealer's door for an OEM sports exhaust from Ferrari as they absolutely do not tolerate any after-market exhaust unlike the North American market.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 03:32 AM   #51
Joe S
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD
911s sound good for 6 cylinder cars, especially if you have the Sharkwerks bypass exhaust but to say that they sound better than a modded m3, I don't know if I agree with that. M3 with IPE sounds better than a stock 911 IMO.
I agree, an IPE system with a whining Harrop SC just sounds out of this world.. People just can't believe the sound
      08-24-2015, 06:53 AM   #52
AlpGolcuklu
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

No way my ipe exhaust is worst than stock 911
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #53
///S65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII DCT

The thing to keep in mind is that the 911s with the sport exhaust fitted sounds amazing at ALL RPMs. The M3 sounds amazing at high RPM but not so good at low RPMs. My Akra Evo even drones a little bit at 2000 RPMs. If you really like a pure engine noise I will say the GT3 beats basically any car on the market right now. The 911s has more volume at low RPM and it pops and bangs at low RPM.
      08-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #54
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
I disagree.

From inside the car our exhausts are uninspiring.... but my wife took my car the other day and I have to say the note is super sexy and exotic, even at low revs and oem. I rarely encounter other M3s, but when I do hear them I'm usually impressed.

Agree. When I put an external mic on the rear bumper and finally heard how my car's stock exhaust sounded, I loved it. My dad is a big car guy too and he said, "sounds wicked, like a Formula Ford." In-car, all you really hear is just induction noise, especially at high RPM.

Here's said video (available in 1080p60):

11-13-2015, 02:57 AM   #55
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Sound taste is really all preference. The flat six boxer engine of the Porsche just doesn't sound the same as the cross plane v8 of the M3, and some will prefer one over the other.

Although, just like many people have mentioned here, I just love the sound of MPE on the E9X M3. Here's a clip of me going through a tunnel with it. The mic is on the dashboard and it still sounds pretty good. You can actually hear a 981 Cayman S engine when I'm close to exiting the second tunnel, which you all may know is equipped with a boxer flat six, too.

A clip from the outside recorded on an iphone:
https://instagram.com/p/3V5qMgsncu/

6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust | Stoptech | Macht Schnell | AST
Instagram: surewin_e92m

Last edited by surewin; 01-25-2016 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #56
BRBM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBM3 View Post
Nothing sounds better than a stock Maserati GTS.... Holy cow did they put time into getting that right from the factory.
You think so? I like it. It's a (4.7 liter?) Ferrari V-8, right? Same as the one in the last-gen Quattroporte? Oh yeah; pretty nice and a neck breaker for sure. Not to mention, it's an engine from the same family as the last 4 International Performance Engines of the Year......if not essentially one of them (the 4.5) with little more bore & stroke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ne_of_the_Year

Just sayin',though. And no offense. Something, arguably, just might sound better.

Because, at that price point, I believe it's expected. So, at a $57-58,000 price point when introduced in late 2007/early 2008, I'd put the C63's (M156) 6.2 AMG powerplant's sound in the mix. Not good enough? Try the SLS' 6.2 (M159)........even louder & better sounding baritone there, albeit @ a 200K price point.

So if I come down to Ft. Lauderdale and you see me on the road? Follow me. I'll give you a nice 4000-5000-6000-7000 RPM blast. Gets louder & more insane as the revs rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Flat-plane vs. cross-plane

I also suspect Porsche spends more time on exhaust tuning than BMW (see also: chassis and brakes)
Yes. Very good point. What do the customers want (read: demand) and how far are the, in this case, M-Division exhaust tuners willing to go?? Chassis & brake tuning may have clearly been given higher priority.

That said, someone on the Bimmerpost has recommended a Dinan aftermarket upgrade if one is not satisfied. I hear it sounds pretty damn good; not surprising coming from Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #57
Razkal
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 435i cabrio & '09 E90 328i

I have to say that my modded OEM M3 exhaust sounds much better than my 911 C4 that I had just before it. My 911 exhaust was modded as well however the V8 makes the M3 growl so much nicer and is quiet when you want it to be. Overall I love my M3 more than my 911 which is sort of biased as I have owned 7 BMWs lol.

2016 F33 ///Msport 435 Cabrio - Sapphire Black / Fox Red

2009 E90 ///Msport 328i LCI Sedan - Space Grey / Saddle Brown
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #58
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

My Porsche GT4 sounds best of the cars I've had so far: e46 m3, 350z, Nissan GT-R.

Sounds great at any rpm.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #59
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
My Porsche GT4 sounds best of the cars I've had so far: e46 m3, 350z, Nissan GT-R.

Sounds great at any rpm.
What I would do for a GT4.

For Sale - E92 M3 Full Black Interior Part Out
Appreciate 0