E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Man killed over pastrami sandwich

02-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Man killed over pastrami sandwich

Read the article and tell me what you think. I'll tell you my connection after everyone comments. Thanks.

Here's the link: San Jose Mercury News

The news article, in case you can't access the link:

Southern California man killed New Jersey man for laughing at pastrami sandwich

By Larry Altman

Torrance Daily Breeze
Posted: 02/13/2013 09:22:57 AM PST
Updated: 02/13/2013 09:37:29 AM PST

TORRANCE -- A Gardena man was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter Monday for killing a businessman who laughed at him when the pastrami fell out of his sandwich at a Western Avenue doughnut shop.

Ronald Eugene Murray II, 26, appeared to sigh in relief as a Torrance jury first found him not guilty of second-degree murder, choosing the lesser offense of voluntary manslaughter.

"The defendant got a fair trial and we got a fair verdict," Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Turk said. "I think justice is served."

Murray could have faced 15 years to life in prison if convicted of the murder charge, but will now be sentenced to a maximum of 11 years in prison at a March 4 appearance at the Torrance courthouse.

Turk said Murray punched and kicked 56-year-old New Jersey resident Mun Jang so hard on Oct. 1, 2011, that Jang died in a hospital two days later. A kick to the head proved to be the fatal blow.

Neither man knew each other, but Murray and Jang had patronized Donut King, at 15032 S. Western Ave., at 3:30 that morning. Jang, who was visiting Los Angeles on business, went for an ice cream. Murray purchased a pastrami sandwich and was particular with his order, asking for tomatoes, lettuce and mayonnaise, but no onions or jalapenos.

Jang, who was with a friend, watched as Murray took a bite. Some of the meat fell out, Turk said.

Jang laughed, angering Murray, who snapped, "Who you laughing at?" He became even more
upset when the clerk behind the glass refused his request for another sandwich at half-price, Turk said.

"The real focus of his anger were the people who would not give him a sandwich," Turk said. "The only person he could take his rage out on was the victim."

Prosecutors said Murray sucker-punched Jang and then punched him repeatedly, inflicting the fatal blow with a kick to the head while Jang was on the ground. He then threw the sandwich so hard into Jang's head that mayonnaise and lettuce stuck in his ear.

Some of the crime was caught on video.

Testifying on his own behalf, Murray said he wasn't trying to hurt Jang. He said he acted in self-defense after he slipped on the sandwich meat and fell to the ground. Jang, Murray testified, stood over him with a fist, so he protected himself by fighting back, Turk said.

Jurors did not believe the self-defense argument, but decided he did not commit murder. He took the beating too far, kicking a defenseless man in the head, Turk said.

"Somebody lost his life because he laughed and had a normal human reaction to something that was pretty funny," Turk said. "It could have been anybody standing there."

Deputy Public Defender Haaris Syed, who represented Murray, was not available for comment.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Youre the fucking clerk behind the counter who didnt give him a half priced sammich, huh...
      02-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

"didn't mean to hurt Jang"

YEA OK MAN!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Another prime example of what is wrong with this world...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

^^ Yep. I don't think the sentence is fitting either. Involuntary manslaughter is not for someone who killed someone while committing aggravated assault. If our justice system throws the book at these people who commit these despicable crimes maybe, just maybe.... future generations will think twice about deciding to beat someone up because they laughed at him.

It has to be clear that behavior such as this will not be tolerated in our society.
      02-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
mase
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Testifying on his own behalf, Murray said he wasn't trying to hurt Jang. He said he acted in self-defense after he slipped on the sandwich meat and fell to the ground. Jang, Murray testified, stood over him with a fist, so he protected himself by fighting back, Turk said.
This story amazes me on many levels.. self defense, the ridiculous sentence, and the fact it was over something so idiotic. I can't wait to hear OP's connection to the story
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
mase
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
^^ Yep. I don't think the sentence is fitting either. Involuntary manslaughter is not for someone who killed someone while committing aggravated assault. If our justice system throws the book at these people who commit these despicable crimes maybe, just maybe.... future generations will think twice about deciding to beat someone up because they laughed at him.

It has to be clear that behavior such as this will not be tolerated in our society.
He got voluntary manslaughter, btw.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

OP is the jury foreman
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

OP was the one who actually laughed and then let Jang take it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Prime example of when you take everything too seriously and think everyone has to pay you more respect than you give anyone else in the world. Superiority complex anyone?
      02-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Id
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Roid rage.
      02-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

what a fucked up world we live in
      02-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Youre the fucking clerk behind the counter who didnt give him a half priced sammich, huh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
This story amazes me on many levels.. self defense, the ridiculous sentence, and the fact it was over something so idiotic. I can't wait to hear OP's connection to the story
The victim is my niece's husband (on my wife's side of the family).

My wife and I are the closest relatives, since we live in NorCal, and the rest of his family is in NJ or NY.

I received a phone call from the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center Torrance social worker around noon on Sept. 30, 2011, asking me to come down there. I asked, "What's going on?", and again was told to just come down there. My wife and I drove down to the hospital where we found the victim in the ICU, on a respirator, with around 12 bags of drugs pumping into him to keep his heart beating. He was brain dead, and almost unrecognizable. I've never seen anyone's eyelids swollen so badly. His wife arrived the next day and to her credit, had them stop the machines and drugs. His heart stopped 2 minutes later.

We met with the police and were advised they knew who the assailant was, and they picked him up the morning of Oct. 4th. He's been in jail ever since.

The verdict of voluntary manslaughter is just incomprehensible, along with the D.A. saying the verdict was fair. She said that she talked to the jury and they said they voted the way they did because the victim lunged at the assailant after he was sucker punched and they they the assailant's self-defense mechanism kicked in. Biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever heard.

The victim's wife freaked out when she heard the verdict, as I expected her to.

Here's another kick in the pants: CA sentencing guidelines call for a sentence of 3, 6 or 11 years for voluntary manslaughter. NO other choices.

We are so angry right now, we can't see straight......

Last edited by MadDog; 02-16-2013 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Now he's going to have to protect his pastrami in prision..Good luck buddy.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
3_runner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Holy fuck man!!! That's awful. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
Fresh Face
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 135i

If i may, let me step in here and be the liberal voice of reason: Ban pastrami sandwiches, and ban people having hands and feet. Could you just imagine if this man dropped his pastrami in a school full of children? Won't someone think of the children!?! And don't you dare say that this man is to blame for this violent act. Clearly, fists, feet, and pastrami sandwiches are too dangerous for anyone to handle.

In all seriousness though, very sorry for your loss OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Now he's going to have to protect his pastrami in prision..Good luck buddy.
Yeah. I'm hoping some finds him pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_runner View Post
Holy fuck man!!! That's awful. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Face View Post
If i may, let me step in here and be the liberal voice of reason: Ban pastrami sandwiches, and ban people having hands and feet. Could you just imagine if this man dropped his pastrami in a school full of children? Won't someone think of the children!?! And don't you dare say that this man is to blame for this violent act. Clearly, fists, feet, and pastrami sandwiches are too dangerous for anyone to handle.

In all seriousness though, very sorry for your loss OP.

Thanks. It's been a rough 16 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

He deserves to be beaten to death, what an evil man. I'm so sorry!

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

SHIT!! Sorry for your loss man.. Why the fuck did he get a maximum of 11 years?? Man your system is broken... unlike ours we either go kill the guy or he has so many connections that he'll probably never get one night in jail.. ok enough joking, seriously, 11 years are not fair for a guy that killed someone over a sammich
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #20
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

I'm really sorry, thats definitely not justice. How that isn't 2nd degree murder is beyond me. Many people have been convicted of more serious crimes with less direct involvement. Hopefully he gets murdered in prison.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #21
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Your niece married this 56yr old guy?
Besides this is why you shouldn't be a dick, because you don't know when some confused individual will get rage beyond death..
So basically the 26yr old beat a guy to death for laughing at him? The only mitigating factor was that the victim retaliated in response to the first punch.
10yrs is fair, anything less is not ..
Glad I'm not an Asian in white man's world.

add: needless to say if the attacker was black its many many more years
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #22
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Your niece married this 56yr old guy?
Besides this is why you shouldn't be a dick, because you don't know when some confused individual will get rage beyond death..
So basically the 26yr old beat a guy to death for laughing at him? The only mitigating factor was that the victim retaliated in response to the first punch.
10yrs is fair, anything less is not ..
Glad I'm not an Asian in white man's world.

add: needless to say if the attacker was black its many many more years
What the fuck is wrong with you?

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by kingofthedemo; 02-16-2013 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0