E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Poll: Cheap or Pricey ties?

View Poll Results: Cheap or Pricey Ties?
Cheap is easy to replace 3 6.67%
Pricey is worth it 15 33.33%
Doesn't matter. If you like it, buy it. 27 60.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

10-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #45
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

I might get flamed for this, but I recently purchased two Express ties for the "fun" print design that they had. I was just trying to add a more spunky attitude to my attire for an outing I was going to. I am actually quite surprised at the quality of the material and the hold of the knot (I tie half Windsor with my ties). I can't comment on the durability of the material yet as I have not worn it enough. I did receive a few complements on one of them though. For the price, they were a pretty good bang for the buck.
      10-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #46
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Women, in my experience, pay a lot more attention to $500 shoes on your feet than a $10k watch on your wrist. I wear mostly Ferragamo and Gucci with an occasional Bruno Magli or Santoni mixed in. Avoid leather bottoms now that I'm getting older and they hurt my back towards the end of the day.
Yes indeed.
      10-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #47
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Like the discusión. But I'm curious... What kind of shoes do you all where? There's a lil thread dedicated to 'kicks'. Feel free to share.
I have suits, plenty of slacks and shirts but nothing sets your look off better than what's on your feet! And believe me when I say... What's on your feet gets as much attention as what's on your torso.
^This! I seldom wear ties. I'm always wearing a dress shirt and chinos. I only wear Allen Edmonds. Specifially McTavish and Numok. I'm always getting compliments on my shoes. I also have a nice pair of Cole Hann Lunar Grands for when I'll be on my feet a lot and want to get spunky with my outfit. I am a watch guy too. Omega and Tag can be found on my wrist most days. The watches don't really get any attention though. As far as shirts and chinos go, I pretty much buy whatever I like regardless of the name. One of my favorite button ups that I get the most compliments on is a Stafford Prep short sleeve oxford from JCPenny. It just fits my build perfectly and can easily be dressed up or down for any occasion. I think I payed around $13 for it.
      10-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #48
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM135iAM View Post
^This! I seldom wear ties. I'm always wearing a dress shirt and chinos. I only wear Allen Edmonds. Specifially McTavish and Numok. I'm always getting compliments on my shoes. I also have a nice pair of Cole Hann Lunar Grands for when I'll be on my feet a lot and want to get spunky with my outfit. I am a watch guy too. Omega and Tag can be found on my wrist most days. The watches don't really get any attention though. As far as shirts and chinos go, I pretty much buy whatever I like regardless of the name. One of my favorite button ups that I get the most compliments on is a Stafford Prep short sleeve oxford from JCPenny. It just fits my build perfectly and can easily be dressed up or down for any occasion. I think I payed around $13 for it.
Kicking some $ensible knowledge I see!

Without question, one can "dress to impress" (shirts, pants and even suits) on a very limited budget. Women can even get away with less expensive shoes (they have sooooo many to choose from!). But for us guys, when it comes to shoes, there is ZERO options: The quality, look and comfort of a $150+ shoes vs say a $60 or $75 shoe, is easily distinguished/different. I have sort of a shoe fetish. I've amassed a pretty sweet collection over the years. And since I keep them in boxes and rotate them out often, have them polished and install heel guards, they are all like new.
      10-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #49
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Quote:
Kicking some $ensible knowledge I see!

Without question, one can "dress to impress" (shirts, pants and even suits) on a very limited budget. Women can even get away with less expensive shoes (they have sooooo many to choose from!). But for us guys, when it comes to shoes, there is ZERO options: The quality, look and comfort of a $150+ shoes vs say a $60 or $75 shoe, is easily distinguished/different. I have sort of a shoe fetish. I've amassed a pretty sweet collection over the years. And since I keep them in boxes and rotate them out often, have them polished and install heel guards, they are all like new.
Shoe trees are also mission critical. That and a proper cobbler to resole as needed, a quality lair of shoes can last you forever. Worst thing you can do is wear them 2 days in a row, need time w shoe trees in between wearing. Shoes that cost 2x as much will last 10x as long.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #50
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Allen Edmonds are good. I like Delray. I think it's the split toe that I like best.

If you like AE, you should take a look at Alden
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #51
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Wow, I need to brush up on shoes. I once owned a pair of Mephistos that lasted me for years with lots of walking and some serious abuse. I'm always comparing other shoes to that pair and grousing about how they're just not as comfy as the Mephistos were. Guess I need to peruse the Kicks thread and educate myself.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #52
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shoe trees are also mission critical. That and a proper cobbler to resole as needed, a quality lair of shoes can last you forever. Worst thing you can do is wear them 2 days in a row, need time w shoe trees in between wearing. Shoes that cost 2x as much will last 10x as long.
YES...shoe trees are very important. I've scooped up some pretty good pine shoe trees on amazon for my shoes. They get the job done nicely. I bought a plastic pair for my Cole Hann Lunar Grands from wal mart and them seem to be doing the trick. The Cole Hann are sued so I didn't feel the need to go with pine. Allen Edmond's will re-sole there shoes for the life time of you owner ship. I haven't had to have it done yet. They hold up quite well.
      10-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #53
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I need to up my shoe game.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #54
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

You would have to be doing some serious walking and dragging your feet to wear the sole off of a nice quality pair of kicks! I have some 10yr old Kenneth Coles (which IMO were made better then than now) that have no sign of wearing out. But again, I rotate wearing them so much.
      10-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #55
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
You would have to be doing some serious walking and dragging your feet to wear the sole off of a nice quality pair of kicks! I have some 10yr old Kenneth Coles (which IMO were made better then than now) that have no sign of wearing out. But again, I rotate wearing them so much.
I'm guessing that's not a leather sole you're speaking of. Those go pretty fast, and I'm not even a big dude.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #56
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing that's not a leather sole you're speaking of. Those go pretty fast, and I'm not even a big dude.
If it was Kenneth Cole, I'm willing to bet it was those rubber Nike Air soles he's talking about
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #57
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
These particular ones are leather. Very thick soles.

And let me just say I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

But I would like to see those of you interested to chime in: http://www.7post.com/forums/showthre...922863&page=17
      10-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #58
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
I've been a firm believer in getting what you paid for, and so far my higher-end (Versace and Gucci) ties have held together nicely even after 5 years, while the cheapy ones I had usually only lasts 1-2 years, except I'm surprised that this one I got from the 99 Cent Store in a hurry is lasting fairly long too, but it's a very thick material and the knot looks almost pompously big... I usually do a Full Windsor but I had to go into that meeting with a four-in-hand.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #59
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I wear Magnanni and Too Boot NY shoes. I'm now leaning toward another Maganni pair to replace my worn out black shoes.

This is what I'm wearing now:

Magnanni Santiago

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #60
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

I wear clip on ties. So much easier to deal with. I buy in bulk, so I'm good if it doesn't last.
      10-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #61
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
I wear clip on ties. So much easier to deal with. I buy in bulk, so I'm good if it doesn't last.
I didn't know trolls wore ties. I mean, who is gonna see them while they lurk under the bridge?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #62
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Zegna- most luxurious but lack durability
Robert Talbott- Great all around, one of my favorites
Ike Behar- Very good all around, one of my favorites

Hugo Boss- Unless bought on clearance, they're a huge waste of money. You're basically paying a 100% markup just for the name.
Burberry- one of the few designer brands I've had success with. I only own one, but it's held up well
Charles Tyrwhitt- They're on par with their price. I like their dress shirts much more. Nothing special, but they're not crap
Versace- Crap. The quality isn't even average, but at a markup greater than Boss
Armani- The only I own is excellent, but in general, the brand offers little more than others half the price
David Donahue- Not a bad brand, easy to source from Nordstrom Rack
John Nordstrom- Not to be confused with the crappy "Nordstrom" brand. The ones I own were made by Napoli. Excellent quality for the price.

Shoes:
Allen Edmonds- The only shoe I wear anymore. Nothing compares to the value with respect to quality/durability.

Cole Haan, Johnston and Murphy, Kenneth Cole, and similar brands- Decent value, but they're "budget" shoes

Too Boot New York- Complete Crap. Like Hugo Boss, you get an average (at best) quality shoe and pay for the name/design.

Disclaimer- This is entirely my personal opinion and I realize others may not feel the same way.

Last edited by RandomHero; 10-23-2014 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0