E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Windshield replaced on brand new car?

07-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Windshield replaced on brand new car?

Long story short, I'm buying a Subaru WRX STi Launch Edition (no, not getting rid of the M3) and the local dealer didn't have any.

The first one they traded with someone else got a small scratch on the driver side doors.

The second one they traded got a chip in the windshield.

They offered to replace the windshield with OEM glass on the 2nd one, but I'm not sure how I felt about that. I have seen great windshield replacement jobs but I have seen a lot more shitty ones(shop try to rush the job, didn't clean everything properly, etc).

There are only a few Launch Editions left in Texas and I would have to drive 4 hours each way plus pay about $500 more if I were to get one from another dealer.

Do you guys trust dealers to replace the windshield? Assuming they are using OEM glass.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I doubt the dealer is doing it. They will probably sublet the work to safelite or a similar company.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
W12x
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
I doubt the dealer is doing it. They will probably sublet the work to safelite or a similar company.
Option 1: Have a car that's got scratched door
Option 2: Have a car that's got a replaced windshield, most likely by 3rd party that may do a below average job
Option 3: Waste 9+ hours on the road, $200 for gas, and pay $500 more for the car.

This is a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

If it's not major, just get it filled and ask for a discount.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

When I had my Mercedes a bird flew into my windshield. When they replaced it I honestly couldn’t tell the difference. Don’t know if it was outsourced or not, but they did a great job.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

You're really fretting over replacing a windshield? I can't think of a car I've owned where I didn't have to have it replaced, and never did I notice any difference, other than having a nice fresh piece of glass up front.

Man if you're nervous over that just wait until you start reading about ringland failures . . .
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
W12x
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
You're really fretting over replacing a windshield? I can't think of a car I've owned where I didn't have to have it replaced, and never did I notice any difference, other than having a nice fresh piece of glass up front.

Man if you're nervous over that just wait until you start reading about ringland failures . . .
Well, the last two times I had windshields replaced it was a huge headache....

The rubber thing they used to seal the windshield was peeling off only 3 weeks after I got the windshield replaced on the X5, had to get them to re-do the whole rubber thing.

The other time when they replaced the windshield on my girlfriend's Honda water was coming in when it rains hard, had to call the shop several times before they agree to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

Bad luck I suppose. I've never had issues with windshield replacements. No rocket science to it, but it does take some skill. I've used safelite three times without issue, and a local place once. Just be sure to follow the post-install instructions.

Honestly, just make the deal contingent upon the windshield being soundly replaced and get it on paper they'll make sure you're happy with it. I did something similar when the dealer offered to do the clear bra on my STi, and I was hesitant as I wanted a pro shop to do it. They matched the pro shop price and said they'd ensure I was happy. I found a few bubbles in it, and sure enough they redid the whole thing happily (at least outwardly).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
W12x
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Bad luck I suppose. I've never had issues with windshield replacements. No rocket science to it, but it does take some skill. I've used safelite three times without issue, and a local place once. Just be sure to follow the post-install instructions.

Honestly, just make the deal contingent upon the windshield being soundly replaced and get it on paper they'll make sure you're happy with it. I did something similar when the dealer offered to do the clear bra on my STi, and I was hesitant as I wanted a pro shop to do it. They matched the pro shop price and said they'd ensure I was happy. I found a few bubbles in it, and sure enough they redid the whole thing happily (at least outwardly).
The car was being transported over and didn't get to the dealership till almost 9PM today, but after it got there we did not find anything on the windshield and turn out it was another STi that got the chip, not the Launch Edition I got. Now waiting for the car to get detailed tomorrow and hopefully there are no issues with it.

Kind of sad that they are not making the STi wagon anymore, that was my favorite on the previous Gen.

BTW, how are you enjoying the CTS-V?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #10
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by W12x View Post
The car was being transported over and didn't get to the dealership till almost 9PM today, but after it got there we did not find anything on the windshield and turn out it was another STi that got the chip, not the Launch Edition I got. Now waiting for the car to get detailed tomorrow and hopefully there are no issues with it.

Kind of sad that they are not making the STi wagon anymore, that was my favorite on the previous Gen.

Nice! sounds like everything ended up going well for you
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #11
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W12x View Post

Hehe I'm lazy and haven't changed the profile. I don't have it anymore. It was a Gen I. Loved the car actually. Only got rid of it to buy a 68' Camaro.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #12
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Hehe I'm lazy and haven't changed the profile. I don't have it anymore. It was a Gen I. Loved the car actually. Only got rid of it to buy a 68' Camaro.
Wise choice!
Appreciate 0