E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > State Inspection Sticker No Longer Needed in Texas

06-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up State Inspection Sticker No Longer Needed in Texas

Beginning in March of 2015, No more 2 stickers cluttering up our windshields!

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/...264423291.html

Quote:
AUSTIN -- Come next March, Texas drivers will no longer be required to have an inspection sticker on their windshield.

But vehicles will still be required to get the once-over.

Department of Motor Vehicles Director Whitney Brewster told a Senate panel Monday that separate stickers will no longer be needed for the inspection and auto registration. A single sticker will be proof of both.

The Houston Chronicle reports an owner must complete the inspection - which includes state vehicle safety and emissions tests - within 90 days of when the registration expires.

Drivers will eventually have to show proof of a valid inspection to renew their vehicle registration.

Officials say Texas will save about $2 million with the change, primarily in oversight and sticker costs.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 06-24-2014 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Beginning in March of 2015, No more 2 stickers cluttering up our windshields!

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/...264423291.html

Quote:
AUSTIN -- Come next March, Texas drivers will no longer be required to have an inspection sticker on their windshield.

But vehicles will still be required to get the once-over.

Department of Motor Vehicles Director Whitney Brewster told a Senate panel Monday that separate stickers will no longer be needed for the inspection and auto registration. A single sticker will be proof of both.

The Houston Chronicle reports an owner must complete the inspection - which includes state vehicle safety and emissions tests - within 90 days of when the registration expires.

Drivers will eventually have to show proof of a valid inspection to renew their vehicle registration.

Officials say Texas will save about $2 million with the change, primarily in oversight and sticker costs.
To clarify, once we get our inspection done and sticker put on, our registration is renewed simultaneously?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

No, inspection will now be required in order to get your registration sticker and there will no longer be a separate inspection sticker. Nice for those of us with smaller windshields.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

I wonder how they'll handle multi-year registration renewals. Last year I paid for and renewed my registration for 3 years (expiring in 2016).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Next stop: no front plates.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Next stop: no front plates.
Haven't had one for well over a decade. It's never really been an issue for me or this area as I see plenty of nice cars not having one. Probably something they can use to pull you over with or add onto the speeding ticket.
      06-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Haven't had one for well over a decade. It's never really been an issue for me or this area as I see plenty of nice cars not having one. Probably something they can use to pull you over with or add onto the speeding ticket.
I don't run a front plate on mine, but my wife insists I leave plates on both of her cars. I guess she'd rather not take the risk.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I've been pulled over on 2244 on my way to the Hill Country Galleria with no front plates before. There was a cop waiting head-on about a minute before the entrance to the galleria so he had clear view of my front bumper. It took a whole 5 days before a cop stopped me, and the funny thing is that I was running no front plates out of necessity for those 5 days. One of the plate screws became loose and uncooperative and so I decided to remove the front plate temporarily else it was dangling awkwardly to one side towards the ground.

I told the cop that I was planning on having the plate re-installed (and the screw fixed) within the next couple of days (which was the truth) and he let me off with a warning.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Haven't run front plates here or in California. Aside from parking tickets in LA, rarely had an issue. I did get pulled over on my last trip to NM, but sent a pic in with the plate on (with double sided tape) and only had to pay $10.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Good news for you guys... Those look hideous; having one sticker is bad enough but TWO?
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Inspection is a joke on our cars, they tell you when something is wrong, or through codes if the emission are failing. They should have the auto companies disable the car if it is not safe to driver like the brakes are metal to metal, or the tires are low or something similar these kinds of people are putting the rest of us at risk.

Most mechanics these days for not even do a full inspection that just plug into the computer and look for codes and such.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

No inspections at all out here in downstate Illinois. You would not believe some of the shitboxes I see driving around. Multiple mismatched wheels, exhausts dragging or missing altogether, failed suspensions, etc. It's ironic that we have laws to fine people for not having kids under the age of 8 in child seats, but that child seat can be in a death trap of a car and no one cares.

Wanna see a tough inspection? Check out Germany's TUV. They're brutal. Or at least they used to be.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0