E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Thinking of buying a certified used Porsche.

03-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

Thinking of buying a certified used Porsche.

Guys, my 335 lease has ended and I've been thinking about picking up a used Porsche Cayman S. 2008 or 2009 in the $50k range.

I thought I'd inquire here as to if buying a used Porsche is a good idea, and if there's anything I ought to be on the lookout for. I read that Porsche took home the #1 spot in reliability last year according to JD Power which makes me feel good...but you know how it is in the used card world sometimes.

What say ye?
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

My 335 lease ends in July, was thinking of getting a CPO '09, but just ordered a 2012 Cayman S that should be ready by then.
There's a huge difference between '08 and '09, more HP, DFI, improved oiling system, upgraded electronics and, most importantly for me, PDK.
Right now there are very few CPO '09's, 3 listed on the Porsche CPO website, a few others that you could possibly get them to certify, and they're all $55k+. They should start to come off lease soon though.
I decided to lease, and just order what I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
Guys, my 335 lease has ended and I've been thinking about picking up a used Porsche Cayman S. 2008 or 2009 in the $50k range.

I thought I'd inquire here as to if buying a used Porsche is a good idea, and if there's anything I ought to be on the lookout for. I read that Porsche took home the #1 spot in reliability last year according to JD Power which makes me feel good...but you know how it is in the used card world sometimes.

What say ye?
If it's a stick get them to read the DME to see if there are any engine over-revs recorded.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
My 335 lease ends in July, was thinking of getting a CPO '09, but just ordered a 2012 Cayman S that should be ready by then.
There's a huge difference between '08 and '09, more HP, DFI, improved oiling system, upgraded electronics and, most importantly for me, PDK.
Right now there are very few CPO '09's, 3 listed on the Porsche CPO website, a few others that you could possibly get them to certify, and they're all $55k+. They should start to come off lease soon though.
I decided to lease, and just order what I wanted.
Out of curiosity, what do you expect your lease payments to look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
If it's a stick get them to read the DME to see if there are any engine over-revs recorded.
understood.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

36/36 lease should be about $1200, almost $150 of that is tax (6.25% of purchase price).
The MSRP of my build is $79k, the max you can use to calculate residual.
Appreciate 0