E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 328i 56C6 DTC

03-24-2024, 09:08 PM   #1
gtfhercules
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E46 325i, NB2 Miata

Angry E90 328i 56C6 DTC

Hello all,

After finishing up yearly maintainance on my dad’s E90 328i, which has the GM6 gearbox, I took it for a short test drive. On the way back, in manual mode, as I was pulling away from a stop sign whilst making a left handed turn, I got a lovely Trans Failsafe warning on the iDrive screen. Car was still driving fine as far as I could tell. I pulled aside and turned the car off and then back on, and the error did not come back on. Drove moderately back home.

After sitting for a few minutes, I drove the car a bit more - this time with the transmission in sport mode - up the big hill near where I live, and then around a bit more before going home. The shifts were fine, to me anyways - as good as it always has been.

After getting home, I scanned the car with INPA and got two DTCs for the EGS:

578E (I believe this has to do with the fluid age, I changed the fluid last year [but not the filter. I did ensure the fluid is at the correct level, and it is not leaking.])

56C6 (I am not sure what this means, most people have problems with 56C5 which should be a shift solenoid)

My questions are as follows:

1) what is 56C6, and how critical is it?

2) given that my dad drives the car, and he is pretty easy on it, how critical is this fault?

I ask this because I am leaving the country for the rest of the year next week, so I am hoping it can wait until next year’s maintenance.

With friendly greetings,

Herc
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 12:01 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfhercules View Post
... E90 328i, GM6 gearbox, I took it for a short test drive. On the way back, in manual mode, as I was pulling away from a stop sign whilst making a left handed turn, I got a lovely Trans Failsafe warning on the iDrive screen...
I scanned the car with INPA and got two DTCs for the EGS: 578E... 56C6...
578E is "Oil Wear", which is based upon "Counter", & NOT actual condition of Dexron VI Fluid. INPA CANNOT reset the "Counter", or "Clear" the 578E Code, but ISTA CAN Reset the Counter. That code will NOT cause a warning light.

Here is definition of "56C6" code from BMW Fault Code Lookup:
56C6 | EGS: Shift valve A: stuck in off position | GS1912 | Transmission control
There is NO Fault Info or other information related to that fault.

When you changed the fluid, did you add the last ~ quart with engine running, after shifting through all gears, and NOT turn off engine until filler plug reinstalled? That's hard to do, as vehicle must be elevated & LEVEL, so you can get UNDER it with engine running, & fluid Temp must be between 30C & 50C. If there is ANY doubt as to correct fluid level, I would suggest getting ISTA Procedure & rechecking Fluid Level. Let me know if you need procedure.

I have changed fluid & filter in my GM6 twice, but do NOT know what "Shift Valve A" is. Since the definition says "stuck in off position", I would try the following:
1) Using "INPA > EGS (Transmission | GS1912) > F4 Error Memory > F1 Read Error Memory", View, Save, Post a ScreenPrint of each Fault Screen. We'll help with translation using Google Translate, German to English. That translation SHOULD offer some clues about Definition.

2) CLEAR the "Fehlerspeicher"/ Fault Memory (F4 > F2) & see if that fault returns. It MIGHT be related to low fluid level, hard acceleration in LH turn/fluid inertia, or possibly just a "one-off Hiccup".

3) The GS1912 has a "Historienspeicher" (History Memory): "INPA > EGS > F4 > F5 Read History Memory". The last TEN fault codes saved in GS1912 Fault Memory are retained in "History Memory", even after fault memory is cleared. History Memory should NOT be cleared, as that is an historical record of faults, and is helpful for detailed diagnosis. I would suggest carefully reviewing that History Memory for any other instances of "56C6", and Noting the mileage/km at which each occurred. I would SAVE a ScreenPrint of any History Memory Screen for future use/reference, as old faults are "Over-written" if > 10. If you post any ScreenPrints we can analyze.

3A) Some versions of INPA do NOT include GM6/ GS1912 as an option in the Right-hand Listbox of the Script Selection Box. If your version does NOT allow that selection, let me know & I can provide instructions on HOW to add a line of TEXT to the Listbox. You need to be able to "Connect" to the GS1912 Module to get any detailed information. You can view Live Data (F5 Status) when you "Connect" to GS1912 Module. That will give clues on operation of switches & valves.

4) If a specific transmission fault (other than 578E ;-) recurs, I would check with a good AT Repair facility, familiar with GM6, and try to get as much specific advice as you can get in 2 to 3 minutes, providing specific code & definition.

Please let us know what you find.
George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 03-25-2024 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 02:02 PM   #3
gtfhercules
Rep

Hello George,

Many thanks for your reply!

I figured the counter code was not critical, since they advertised these cars as having "lifetime fluid" (lol). I will need to get ISTA setup one day, though.

As for filling the piece of crap up, yes, I had the car running, up to temp, and after shifting through all the gears, had a bit weeping out before replacing the bolt. Shortly after, I noticed the C shuddering, and added the Shudder Fixx as recommended by the community. When I went about adding this, I had the car on a lift after driving to my mechanic's shop and borrowing his lift, and we all confirmed that the level was correct.

I do not have the GS1912 as an option in INPA, and I did see that I have the files for it, it just needs to be added to the E90 profile. Can you tell me how to do that?

After I get that added, I'll drive the car a bit and see if it returns. In fact, my dad drove the car for a good while today (at least 10 miles) so I'll go ask him if any errors came back.

With friendly greetings,

Herc/Parker
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 03:00 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfhercules View Post
... I do not have the GS1912 as an option in INPA, and I did see that I have the files for it, it just needs to be added to the E90 profile. Can you tell me how to do that?...Herc/Parker
Hi Herc,
See attached pdf for HOW to add text line that will appear in Right Listbox of Script Selection Box when you press "Transmission". Please let me know if anything is NOT clear.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ID Module Variant, Connect to Module.pdf (903.2 KB, 9 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 12:54 AM   #5
gtfhercules
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Hi Herc,
See attached pdf for HOW to add text line that will appear in Right Listbox of Script Selection Box when you press "Transmission". Please let me know if anything is NOT clear.
George
Hi George,

Many thanks for the instructions. Adding the line was very easy, but I have not had a chance to test it out yet. I can clear the Fehlerspeicher tomorrow morning, and drive the car a bit on Friday at the soonest (going to take my E38 up to see a friend tomorrow) and check back in on Monday to see if the code has come back.

Many thanks,

Parker
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:06 PM   #6
gtfhercules
Rep

Hello George/all,

Attached here is the Historienspeicher/History Memory from the car. Interestingly enough, the DTC about the Solenoid is not present at all - it is mainly DSC errors, presumably from when I had the car in drive whilst in the air when I was filling the gearbox fluid up last year. I did print the error memory, but nothing new has been added and using the Dell I have for INPA is going to shorten my lifespan, so I didn't copy that over.

I have not heard any complaints about the car, and on Monday, I'll check for DTCs once again. I think it may have just been a one off error of the fluid sloshing around from the turn.

With friendly greetings,

Parker/Herc
Attached Images
File Type: pdf gm6 history errors.pdf (55.2 KB, 5 views)
Appreciate 0