E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Troubleshooting tower failure

02-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Troubleshooting tower failure

So yesterday morning, i walked past my spare bedroom and heard what sounded like a truck idling outside, didnt think anything of it but when i walked into the living room, i didnt hear it at all.

Turns out, the main fan on my desktop was going full blast and it seems as if something catastrophically failed in my computer. I pulled power and let it sit for the day and tried to turn it back on when i got home, wondering if it just overheated or something. I got no response from the monitor or the little screen thats on the front of the tower.

Tower specs:
Dell XPS 420 circa 2006
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
Invidia 8600 GTS video card 256mb
4GB ram from Dell

I assume that it is something MoBo related, since i dont even get power to the video card to see Bios options.

My brother said he had something similar happen to him and he replaced his ram and its been fine since. I dont want to have to spend a lot of money on it as its just a spare desktop that i play CS:GO on occasionally, but i can run that from my laptop if i needed to. The tower has been a workhorse for me and while im no hardcore gamer, it hasnt missed a beat ever. This is the first real hiccup ive ever had with it and ive left the thing running for weeks (months??) without restarting it.

Any help to diagnose and fix the problem is appreciated!!

Derek
      02-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Typically failure to start up and show the post message (or mobo display screen) means it's a motherboard issue, at least in my experience.
      02-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

specs looks outdated and looks like its a 5-7 years old computer. not sure if its worth fixing but looks like its had its time...

it is hard to diagnose a computer issue without seeing it.. it could be anything. motherboard, ram or hard disk.. might be power supply too who knows.

troubleshooting this will probably end up costing you more... id suggest hit up my friend craig... (craigslist.org) they got good stuff and found several refurbished computers HP or Dell for 280 with monitor... might be better of doing that..

if it does not boot up at all even on bios then most likely its either RAM or motherboard...
      02-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

I actually really like the machine. I served me well so far and if I can get out of this with a $50 refurbed MoBo and some DIY time, ill try to do that.

I forgot that a buddy of mine is actually an IT guy who could look at it easily for me. I'm dropping it off at his place this weekend.