BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Sport mode vs M/S Mode

Does one include the other? Like by switching sport mode on (rocker), does the transmission also hold the gears longer minus the ability to shift manually or they are totally independent? Just trying to figure out what impact they individually have on the vehicle.
      10-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
IDK how it works on your car but on my car, it's like this...

"sport button" = increases throttle sensitivity and shifts are more robust and feels quicker. It probably actually shifts quicker. Since throttle is more sensitive, it has an indirect effect of holding gears a tiny bit longer. If you can somehow offset your throttle input enough with the increased sensitivity, the car should not hold gears longer.

S mode (pulling lever to the left) = holds gears much longer...the more throttle input given, the longer it would shift (until redline).

M mode = you can shift at any time but it will automatically shift once redline is hit.

This may be placebo but mixing and matching the button with M or S have a stacking effect. Also, launch control can only be triggered in M mode + Sport button + DTC mode. With all that said, it seems highly independent from my experience.

EDIT: I know the functions are similar with the Z4 (e89) because of the Sport+, Sport, Comfort in addition to S/M on the shifter. IDK how that system is superior/inferior aside from having more combinations.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

On my x3, Sport + DS have a stacking effect. M seems to make the transmission shift slower (in my mind). there is no DTC mode in my X3. Hitting that button will knock it out of Sport mode.

No Sport+ on the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Thanks for the replies, on my current E70 I only have M/S (tilt the shifter) but my upcoming F15 has the rocker selection and the usual M/S mode. I am used to the way M/S feels & drives, and I am told now using the rocker in Sport mode will also tighten the very light steering that they put on F15, in addition to disabling certain functions like auto start/stop ignition. I do not have Sport+ since I didn't get M Sport package or the DHP. In Sport + I know it disables DTC, and we don't actually get launch control with just normal Sport.
      10-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
In the 335is hitting the 'sport' button makes the car feel completely different than when in S/M mode. I almost always drive in M, and shifts and throttle response are fast, (S seems to simply hold gears longer). But hit the sport button, and there is a physical thrust/feel/speed when shifting gears, even in high gears and even when not accelerating quickly. Throttle response is also worlds quicker.

I just wish the suspension adapted between sport/non sport mode like in the M cars and in Mercedes vehicles. I love the 335is' unique suspension (it's different from the M-sport 335i cars), but I think it would have been nice to have it change from sport to non-sport modes.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
dnimtz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

As a new 2014 335i xDrive owner, this is an area that has confused me a bit - what exactly is changing in the different modes vs selecting S mode. Beginning to have a bit clearer picture - thanks for the explanations.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
This conversation becomes more complex when you consider that you can configure/customize Sport mode in iDrive.
I have Sport mode configured to Chassis Only. This results in Comfort transmission and throttle behavior, with Sport shock mapping (DHP) and steering weight. If I want Sport transmission behavior I can either flip the shifter to S/M or toggle up to Sport+.