E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > $750 credit card signup bonus from AMEX

08-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #45
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the link now says that the promotion is no longer available.
Also, after I received the card- I was told that I didn't qualify for the promotion.

So here is what happend:
I applied for AMEX over the phone a few days ago and asked about the promotion, operator put me on hold to verify with the membership rewards department that it existed. We then proceeded with the application and got my card a few days after that.

I called membership rewards department after getting the card~ and they said I didn't qualify for this promotion because I was not directly solicited to by letter mail.
I was pissed... Bait and Switch.
I called customer service back and demanded that they verify with the person that signed me up over the phone provide documentation to the membership rewards department that I signed up for this card on the premise of getting the promotion.

They noted my account and I called membership rewards to ensure it. They finally resolved it and apologized for everything.
They said that they would honor the promotion and noted my account again to ensure that I can call back after I spend 1000 dollars, that I would get the 75k points.

Hope this helps. Ensure to only sign up with a promotion code and that the representative puts a note into your account so that membership rewards cannot deny you the promotion.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #46
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the link now says that the promotion is no longer available.
Also, after I received the card- I was told that I didn't qualify for the promotion.

So here is what happend:
I applied for AMEX over the phone a few days ago and asked about the promotion, operator put me on hold to verify with the membership rewards department that it existed. We then proceeded with the application and got my card a few days after that.

I called membership rewards department after getting the card~ and they said I didn't qualify for this promotion because I was not directly solicited to by letter mail.
I called customer service back and demanded that they verify with the person that signed me up over the phone provide documentation to the membership rewards department that I signed up for this card on the premise of getting the promotion.

They noted my account and I called membership rewards to ensure it. They finally resolved it and apologized for everything.
They said that they would honor the promotion and noted my account again to ensure that I can call back after I spend 1000 dollars, that I would get the 75k points.

Hope this helps. Ensure to only sign up with a promotion code and that the representative puts a note into your account so that membership rewards cannot deny you the promotion.

I saw the same thing in sites before I signed up, it looks like it's just a matter of fighting for it, no problem here for that.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #47
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

i called the rep yesterday and she said the promotion was still good, as long as i applied for the card within the promotional period...i got her name and everything and that call was recorded for training purposes so im gonna fight to the death to get my 75K points....

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #48
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
i called the rep yesterday and she said the promotion was still good, as long as i applied for the card within the promotional period...i got her name and everything and that call was recorded for training purposes so im gonna fight to the death to get my 75K points....
I wouldn't get too worried, they'll keel over if you fight enough
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #49
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

thanks what promocode did you end up using? when you call what kind of information do they ask?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post

So here is what happend:

08-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #50
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92murdered View Post
thanks what promocode did you end up using? when you call what kind of information do they ask?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #51
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

when i called i asked about the code 5894 and she said she knows what it was...so you just have to get the right rep i guess...keep calling till you get one, be reallll nice at first

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #52
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

i just called to apply over the phone, told the operator I want the bonus offer, he said he can't give it to me even if I told him the code, b/c my call was unsolicated. AMEX can only send me an offer in the mail with a code for me to get any other offers beyond the standard offer for the card.
I'm going to try and call again, hopefully reach a different person.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #53
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

just called had the same happen to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
i just called to apply over the phone, told the operator I want the bonus offer, he said he can't give it to me even if I told him the code, b/c my call was unsolicated. AMEX can only send me an offer in the mail with a code for me to get any other offers beyond the standard offer for the card.
      08-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #54
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Couldn't you just call and say you were mailed the offer and give them the code?
      08-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #55
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Couldn't you just call and say you were mailed the offer and give them the code?
no he said there's a confimation code. it's not 6661.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #56
mase
Banned
Rep

From what I've read, the most successful method in the past is applying online, waiting to receive the card, activating, THEN calling to have code 6661 activated. People are generally successful in the first call or two with that method. I've never heard of them giving it to someone that asked for the promo while applying (but now we have one datapoint).

Make sure you call Membership Rewards, not Amex. This is important.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #57
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

^I tried again. No dice. so you think I should just go ahead and apply for the card online, then call membership rewards when I recieve it?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #58
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

only problem is if you dont your stuck with the card, but from reading it looks like they wont honor it unless they tell you over the phone now. its a chance i wont if they dont honor it now. does anyone have an rsvp code? if so pm me plz thank you
Quote:
^I tried again. No dice. so you think I should just go ahead and apply for the card online, then call membership rewards when I recieve it?
      08-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #59
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

yeah i would need a RSVP code too to ensure it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #60
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

well here is the thing most likely everyone will cancel the card within the one year period so your credit score will go down a bit anyway. So maybe it is worth a shot?
Quote:
yeah i would need a RSVP code too to ensure it.
      08-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #61
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

yeah that's the only down side I can see, but for $750, or $1250, it's worth it
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #62
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I just received a mailer today offering 25k points after $500 spend.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #63
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

definetly but now that i think about it the card will be cancelled beore the first year so same difference correct?
Quote:
yeah that's the only down side I can see, but for $750, or $1250, it's worth it
      08-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #64
mase
Banned
Rep

Here is all I know: based on hundreds of people's experiences in different forums, you have to apply online, wait to receive the card, activate it, THEN call membership rewards, in this order. This is the method gleaned from the web and posted in the first post.

There's one guy in this thread that applied over the phone for some reason and eventually got the promo, but I've never heard of that happening before. There's low likelihood that you'll get points this way.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #65
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
Here is all I know: based on hundreds of people's experiences in different forums, you have to apply online, wait to receive the card, activate it, THEN call membership rewards, in this order. This is the method gleaned from the web and posted in the first post.

There's one guy in this thread that applied over the phone for some reason and eventually got the promo, but I've never heard of that happening before. There's low likelihood that you'll get points this way.

exactly. I haven't found anyone complaining about STILL not getting it. people with difficulties, but noone that didn't eventually get it.

you guys have to realize the way it works. The CSR can't activate it before you sign up (or even afte rimmediate sign up). They're going to say no on the spot simply because they're lazy.

you need the same lazy person when you call to activate the code. If they want to b esticklers they'll enforce the activation code, you just need the lazy person who wants to get you off the call and clicks the couple checkboxes.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #66
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I actually found a mailer in my junk mail for 50,000 points after the first $1,000, so if I can't get the 75,000 points (after trying multiple times) I'll just make them do the 50.