E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Autonomous & Wireless Charging

10-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Autonomous & Wireless Charging

I believe were are on the Eve of a major change in automotive transportation. The future of cars will be self-driving electric vehicles with wireless charging. Recently, Elon Musk showed his new Tesla "D" car with the ability to read speed limit signs to maintain maximum speed while observing a 360 electronic view surrounding the car and current road conditions. The driver can change lanes by pressing the lane change indicator and the car will automatically move the car in to the next lane desired. Pretty cool advancements like these are bringing the self-driving car to market sooner than later. Tesla also demonstrated that their all-wheel drive electric car is more efficient that the current two wheel drive system using computers to control power to each individual wheel.

Wireless charging that is now popular in small electronics is branching out to the electric car market. Using an inductive coil to wirelessly generate electric current to the batteries. No more having to get out an plug the car in for charging. Going the next step, the Highway Traffic Safety Administration is researching projects to use embedded coils in the roadway to produce electric power through induction to electric vehicles. Using the momentum of the car itself to provide the magnetic field for electric induction.

Combination of these current technologies and ones still in the labs are truly changing the automobile and driving as we have come to know it these last 100+ years. I have heard some companies are working with GPS and visual camera technology that will have the car drop/pickup it's passengers automatically. Imagine NYC where all taxis are driverless?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #2
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I believe we will all die from brain cancer and other cancers, various radiations and expositions from rays and waves, weakened immune system and higher attack of unknown high rate deadly viruses and natural disasters. In the last century, most technologies have not made our life better, they made us dumber and lazier. If the theory of evolution is true, we have evolved from hunters to assisted lifeless creatures. I'd call that devolution.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
I believe we will all die from brain cancer and other cancers, various radiations and expositions from rays and waves, weakened immune system and higher attack of unknown high rate deadly viruses and natural disasters. In the last century, most technologies have not made our life better, they made us dumber and lazier. If the theory of evolution is true, we have evolved from hunters to assisted lifeless creatures. I'd call that devolution.
That kind of is true... Our evolution made life so easy that we've become spectators of it. Think about it, watch people glued and addicted to their phones... Self driving cars, ask google how to spell something, convert something or whatever... Thinking about things are thrown out because it's easier to ask your phone for example...
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

On the flip-side of that statement, technology has made larger masses of people more productive and intelligent. By having the devices and features of our current generation more people are able to write and create better through it's aids. I disagree with technology making us worse, but only better. More people in the USA alone have techinical jobs than ever before by learning how to use and control the tech. available to them.

For the record people in America are living longer than ever before. So much so, that retirement counslers are re-working what one will need to live after working given the increase of age. Even better, people with diminished physical health can still be productive using technology where just 30 years ago they would be tossed aside as not being able to contribute to society.
Appreciate 0