E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Operation Black March

02-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Operation Black March

In light of all the recent hoopla about SOPA, PIPA an all other similar effort by the fat cat politicians with their hands deep inside US media conglomerate's pocket books to curtail online freedom and privacy, I am thinking about joining this effort next month.

It is not a criminal nor an illegal act and will hit the powers that be where it hurts the most : Their pocket books. Just think about the message we can send them collectively ...Will you join me? If so, please share/ post anywhere and everywhere and try to spread the word.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I'm down with that unless I am required to for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Brain
Banned
Rep
Drives: broken

what about watching stuff on youtube, hulu, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I'm down with that unless I am required to for work.
you da man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketing View Post
what about watching stuff on youtube, hulu, etc.
I think the main thing is not spending $$$ out of pocket. I know watching UT videos generate advertising income so if you really want to go full-monk for a whole month, I say put that away also and entertain yourself with your current library of music and movies for a month.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Brain
Banned
Rep
Drives: broken

I pay for online WSJ...have magazine subscriptions. I think it's an interesting idea, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel the cross section of people that are adamantly opposed to and/or are aware of SOPA, who also spend significantly on copyrighted media is large enough to make an impact. This is why un-defeatable advertising has been introduced to the web, because we weren't spending enough on this stuff in the first place, and revenues have to come from somewhere.

"Ownership" or buying media is an outdated form of delivery. I don't download illegally because I just go to Pandora or Youtube to hear music - should I stop listening to Pandora? I don't buy magazines because I read them online, where they also advertise - should I stop doing that? For the few subscriptions I have, should I suspend them for a month? Don't read the paper online for a month?

Maybe I'm nit picking, but it's somewhat preposterous to me that such a simple solution is posed in defiance of a very complicated problem. I seriously think it's an interesting discussion, so don't think I'm trolling - I'm not.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketing View Post
I pay for online WSJ...have magazine subscriptions. I think it's an interesting idea, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel the cross section of people that are adamantly opposed to and/or are aware of SOPA, who also spend significantly on copyrighted media is large enough to make an impact. This is why un-defeatable advertising has been introduced to the web, because we weren't spending enough on this stuff in the first place, and revenues have to come from somewhere.

"Ownership" or buying media is an outdated form of delivery. I don't download illegally because I just go to Pandora or Youtube to hear music - should I stop listening to Pandora? I don't buy magazines because I read them online, where they also advertise - should I stop doing that? For the few subscriptions I have, should I suspend them for a month? Don't read the paper online for a month?

Maybe I'm nit picking, but it's somewhat preposterous to me that such a simple solution is posed in defiance of a very complicated problem. I seriously think it's an interesting discussion, so don't think I'm trolling - I'm not.
No, I don't think you are trolling and the points you have brought up are all good and valid. I am not sure how best to address them and really it's not my job to act as a spokesperson of any kind for this effort. That being said, personally I think the effort is aimed at "new" purchasing and supporting decisions on our parts and not our current subscriptions/ obligations, etc.

For example, if you have a current Netflix subscription and are getting charged a monthly fee, it's stupid to boycott watching any movies there since you are already paying for it. However, you can stop watching the latest Hollywood blockbusters on the screens with the family and not contribute another $40-$80 weekly to their sales. Of course again, if you really want to go at it, stopping any and all subscriptions or canceling them for a month is still an option.

Also I think as an informed consumer, it's prudent to educate yourself on which media companies/ outlet are against SOPA/ PIPA type legislation and not bundle them into the same group you are protesting against. There are some big names behind such effort including Google, Wikipedia, Reddit, Imgur, etc.
Appreciate 0