E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Hong-Kong MTR incident...

01-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #23
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen_ferio View Post
Here's an interesting read about it:
http://www.zhongnanhaiblog.com/?p=475
Thanks for sharing the link

Someone made a very good point in the comments section about how a few generations ago the people in Hong-Kong and Taiwan were basically the same. If you ask me though it is just this last generation of the rich and educated that are probably a bit different and of those that are different due to wealth and education only half of those would make the list.

The Chinese have a couple of very famous sayings for stuff like this

牛牽到北京還是牛
狗改不了吃屎

A friend of mine wrote this book.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #24
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Thanks for sharing the link

Someone made a very good point in the comments section about how a few generations ago the people in Hong-Kong and Taiwan were basically the same. If you ask me though it is just this last generation of the rich and educated that are probably a bit different and of those that are different due to wealth and education only half of those would make the list.

The Chinese have a couple of very famous sayings for stuff like this

牛牽到北京還是牛
狗改不了吃屎

A friend of mine wrote this book.
I don't think you fully understand where those two sayings might be applicable.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
I don't think you fully understand where those two sayings might be applicable.

Please explain
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Please explain
As far as I understand it, those sayings basically mean people don't change, and specifically refer to habits and behavior. I guess I don't see how they are applicable to the video or your earlier post.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen_ferio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
Can someone that is Asian (which I no a lot of you here are) care to enlighten me to what they are saying. Also, if possible explain why the mainlanders are looked down upon (as I know this happens, but what's the history behind it) or at least a link lol to lazy to look for myself
Here's an interesting read about it:
http://www.zhongnanhaiblog.com/?p=475
Thanks bud, that was quite interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #28
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
As far as I understand it, those sayings basically mean people don't change, and specifically refer to habits and behavior. I guess I don't see how they are applicable to the video or your earlier post.

Bingo
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #29
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Of course it applies. He meant that the Chinese don't change. Eating on the subway? Come on...Only poor people do that. You can go to Hong Kong and still believe it's okay to treat public transportation as your dining room.
      01-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #30
Minefield
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Car

Must be the remnants of British colonialism
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #31
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan970 View Post
understood like 75% of it haha, cant wait to go back to HK on spring break!
What's funny about it?

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #32
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
lol
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #33
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

This particular incident is only a "trigger-point". There had been a lot of animosities built up between the Hong Kong locals and the Chinese Mainland tourists, visitors, and new immigrants.

The Chinese Mainland tourists had been blamed for driving up inflation in HK, with everything from infant formula powder, to electronics, and properties.

HK has essentially turning into Monte Carlo (it was more cosmopolitan like NY before), where there are only 2 classes of people. Super-rich, and everyone else.

Quote:
How the Chinese in Hong-Kong look down on Mainlanders.

Having lived in Asia as an expat for 20 years I find this quite funny at times and interesting at other times. The Taiwanese People along with the Hong-Kong people often look down on the Chinese from the Mainland often seeing themselves as superior to the Mainlander Chinese people. If you ask me they are all Chinese and the Chinese in Hong-Kong are no less noisy or obnoxious then the Chinese from China. Try spending a few nights in Hong-Kong at a Hotel and you will see that the locals will stand in the hallway to their talking or right in front of your hotel doorway and do all their chatting right in front of your door as you try and sleep. This is not just in Hong-Kong but in Taiwan as well.

01-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
This particular incident is only a "trigger-point". There had been a lot of animosities built up between the Hong Kong locals and the Chinese Mainland tourists, visitors, and new immigrants.

The Chinese Mainland tourists had been blamed for driving up inflation in HK, with everything from infant formula powder, to electronics, and properties.

HK has essentially turning into Monte Carlo (it was more cosmopolitan like NY before), where there are only 2 classes of people. Super-rich, and everyone else.
The people in Hong-Kong need to remember that if it were not for all those people from China coming over to spend money in HK the hotels would be at 50% occupancy rates,more taxis would be parked in the taxi zones with no customers and the majority of the high end retail shops would not be enjoying the retail sales that they do today. So while there are quite a bit of negatives to all these people coming in from China one can not deny all the benefits that the local gain from them spending their money in HK. I would personally say it is a 50% gain with a 50% negative to it. My $.02..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Mandarin>cantonese lols..

Russel Peters ITT
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #36
clpower
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 09 335I X Drive

DO NOT watch if you are at work or eating.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #37
Peter Griffin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

lol, farmers.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #38
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpower View Post

DO NOT watch if you are at work or eating.
Believe it or not I have seen many parents help their kids pee in front of my shop on Chunghsiao East Rd. here in Taipei as well. On the local freeways here in Taipei you will also see people taking dump or pissing as well.

It is not just the Chinese in China that can be pretty low, I had a customer yesterday come in for a clitoris piercing at my shop. When she lifter up her skirt there was thins long green dental floss looking string hanging between her legs (like one mounted to a firecracker lol..) which was the string to her tampon. Women have their periods which is normal but WTF would you come in and get your piercing done while on your period?? Many people these days here in Asia have no shame As the Chinese say "厚臉皮 or 牛牽到北京還是牛"
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #39
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONAR View Post
no ruv me rong time
That's Vietnamese, dude. lol...
      02-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #40
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

http://www.chinahush.com/2012/02/02/...regnant-women/
      02-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #41
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
That's Vietnamese, dude. lol...

For some reason that narrow street looked like a street from Hong-Kong but I can not be sure. At the beginning of the clip one can barely see the back part of the white smartphone which sort of looks like a Vodaphone logo in red on the back of the smartphone. The Yellow truck that passed by had writing on it but my friend could not exactly make out the writing (She's local too ). If I could only read
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #42
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregano123 View Post

That is a touchy issue. In the US those born in the US are entitled to US Citizenship and if they said that those that come from China or Korea to have kids in the US are not entitled to US Citizenship that would be considered racism. What they are asking if I am not mistaken in that advert is to amend the previous law by changing it to not allow those from China to get Hong-Kong passports or residency which would be racism and I do not think that will end up working out if they amend it to just be for the Chinese from China unless they scrap it all together which would also not be easy. Not an easy call for the government especially since officially Hong-Kong is now back to Chinese rule. According to the Chinese in China Hong-Kong is a part of China so why would it be ok for the Chinese in Hong-Kong to not allow the people from China rights in Hong-Kong especially when there are so many businessmen from Hong-Kong who invested heavily in China that requested equal rights as the Chinese in China. Many of the Businessmen from Hong-Kong that either work in China or invest in China requested equal rights as the Chinese in China. If I am not mistaken, the people from Taiwan and from Hong-Kong now are able to do many things in China just as the locals can so if they ask the Chinese government in China to give them equal rights while not giving their people equal rights in Taiwan and Hong-Kong that question would be out the door. My opinion, not going to happen because too many people want to invest in China because the market is just so damn big in China compared to Hong-Kong and Taiwan.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #43
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
I gotta tell ya, that video of the dude shitting on the side of the street is just too funny. I can't believe it. I thought I had seen it all. When I was in the Philippines, there was a large group of people running in a marathon. One of the main streets off of EDSA, leading to some prominent housing developments, some of the runners had stopped to urinate on the wall. There were at least a dozen of them pissing out in the open. I thought that was too funny. This guy beats them all... Best part is when he finishes, gets up and is looking around like someone is going to hand him some toilet paper. Is the guy retarded or that's typical of a mainland Chinese from the lower class?