E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Chevy beat BMW to LED "Halo Rings"

03-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #23
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

i would drive a camaro... dont mind buying the v6 version as a daily driver... keep my M for the weekend windy roads.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 01:27 AM   #24
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

Technically, "LUX" beat chevy...
      03-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #25
machine
is also an E46 Fanatic
Canada
Rep
Drives: E70 35D

They should put audi LEDs in it while there at it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:09 AM   #26
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Cool car...i'm glad to see it back!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #27
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZPP ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine View Post
They should put audi LEDs in it while there at it.
I couldn't love the Audi eyelash anymore.

Nice car though. My friends dad may be getting one when he gets back from Iraq (Navy EOD).
2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #28
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Every time I see a new A4, I wish they drove well enough and had enough power to compete with the 335i so I could have seriously considered buying one.
      03-17-2009, 04:41 AM   #29
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Gotta love it, according to the website, when compared to the 335, more horsepower, better fuel economy, over 19k less. Looks like Detroit is getting what the Japanese have known for 30 years. Then you go optional and the M3 and 335 can't even touch it--400 and 426 HP!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #30
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Not sure why this is somehow going to be the magic bullet for GM. I've got my money on a slightly cheaper and slightly lighter (with chintzy interior to match) version of the G8 or former GTO. The weight loss will be nice, but somehow I'm doubting this will suddenly become the cornering monster that it's presumed to be in this thread. Look at the old F-bodies, they didn't handle for shit. Straight line acceleration is something else, but domestics don't have a great record of making great numbers with hp. Unless this thing is about 3100 pounds, I'll believe the 4.7 0-60 when I see it. Otherwise I'll just assume it'll compete directly with the Ford Mustang, just like it used to.

Despite all my skepticism, I also hope they've actually created something special that is more than "just another muscle car". There are plenty of those on the market, and while this one might be a bit cheaper than some of them, lets hope GM can save it's ass from the fire with some real engineering.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #31
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Seems like a lot of bang for your buck as far as American cars are considered. I'm curious to see how the SS and Z28 drive

EDIT: According to Motor Authority, the Z28 version (if released) is supposed to have the CTS-V engine and have sub 4 second 0-60 runs while running the 1/4 mile in the low 12s range.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #32
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
Not sure why this is somehow going to be the magic bullet for GM. I've got my money on a slightly cheaper and slightly lighter (with chintzy interior to match) version of the G8 or former GTO. The weight loss will be nice, but somehow I'm doubting this will suddenly become the cornering monster that it's presumed to be in this thread. Look at the old F-bodies, they didn't handle for shit. Straight line acceleration is something else, but domestics don't have a great record of making great numbers with hp. Unless this thing is about 3100 pounds, I'll believe the 4.7 0-60 when I see it. Otherwise I'll just assume it'll compete directly with the Ford Mustang, just like it used to.

Despite all my skepticism, I also hope they've actually created something special that is more than "just another muscle car". There are plenty of those on the market, and while this one might be a bit cheaper than some of them, lets hope GM can save it's ass from the fire with some real engineering.

I see you haven't heard of the CTS-V.

4,313LB curb weight, 0-60 around 4.1-4.3ish with an automatic and can handle a corner.

Oh, and the Camaro SS ran a 8:19 lap at the Ring, which is a damn good time.
      03-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #33
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
I see you haven't heard of the CTS-V.

4,313LB curb weight, 0-60 around 4.1-4.3ish with an automatic and can handle a corner.

Oh, and the Camaro SS ran a 8:19 lap at the Ring, which is a damn good time.
The CTS-V ran a 7:59.... Nothing to scoff at by any means....

The base V-6 Camaro gets over 300HP.... It's not your daddy's V-6 wanna-be Z28. And the Z28 is going to be ridiculous. Of course, it'll be made of "chintzy plastic" right? I love how so many fanboys on this forum decide just because a domestic automaker comes out with a car, it'll be plasticky and cheap. Truth is, while this is the case a majority of the time, GM specifically has been getting a lot better. And the Z28 will run absolute circles around a 335 down the street, on a strip, or at the track. For a whole lot less. I think that's what really gets everyones' panties in a bunch...

Too bad this is exactly the car GM DOES NOT need right now, and they should have released it 3 years ago. But this is exactly why they're dying....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #34
Higgs1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model 3

Garage List
lux 5.0 ftw
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #35
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post

The base V-6 Camaro gets over 300HP....whole lot less. I think that's what really gets everyones' panties in a bunch...

Too bad this is exactly the car GM DOES NOT need right now, and they should have released it 3 years ago. But this is exactly why they're dying....
You have hit the nail right on the head...they should have built this three years ago instead they continued to build Suburbans, Tahoes, & Blazers.

I have said this all along...when a U.S. auto maker builds a car that "feels" like my paultry 255 horse 330i I'll buy it. In 2005 I had a choice of the Mustang GT, Pontiac GTO , and Dodge Charger. The GTO had the best gear box by far. All three were certainly faster (in a straight line). But none of those delivered the feel, satisfaction, and SAFETY my E90 does. BMW better take notice on this if it is everything its cracked up to be.
      03-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #36
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92tripleblack View Post
Will be in a straight line. First curve would tell a different story.
That is why it is faster then the 335i around the 'Ring?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #37
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Yeah, i would have liked buying a Megan Fox for $31,500. But the Camaro is also cheap, fun and full of plastic.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #38
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

At least Audi came up with an inovative design solution that is there own - just stealing the design idea and sticking it on a camaro is lame even if it is LED, it isn't remotely original.

Then again, I guess GM can't come up with original ideas if they have no designers left (and the designers they had couldn't design anything worth buying until they basically stole their own designs from the 60's since that was when they last built a car anyone wanted!)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #39
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post

The base V-6 Camaro gets over 300HP.... It's not your daddy's V-6 wanna-be Z28. And the Z28 is going to be ridiculous. Of course, it'll be made of "chintzy plastic" right? I love how so many fanboys on this forum decide just because a domestic automaker comes out with a car, it'll be plasticky and cheap. Truth is, while this is the case a majority of the time, GM specifically has been getting a lot better. And the Z28 will run absolute circles around a 335 down the street, on a strip, or at the track. For a whole lot less. I think that's what really gets everyones' panties in a bunch...

Fanboys? Please. What reason do you have to believe its going to be different and so much better? Does the fact that they're flirting with bankruptcy lead you to believe they're going to start spending MORE on building cars (yes, those chintzy parts DO save them money) that they sell to the consumer for LESS? Take the G8 GT as a comparison: its nice on the interior, but its certainly not up to the standards of the Japanese makes as far as quality of materials (let alone Europeans), and that's about $8k MORE than the SS will command. In most other ways it's about the same (hp, size, features, etc). So they're going to release a car that's essentially just as nice (if not nicer, as you seem to imply), faster, lighter, that handles better, for about $10k less than the one they're already making. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. While recent models from GM have been getting better than previous models from an interior quality standpoint, there's no way you can honestly say that they compete with German or even Japanese makes. Even the high dollar CTS-V does not have an interior as fine as a 128i, similarly equipped (leather for leather, etc). The F-bodies have always stayed roughly competitive with the Mustang of the day. All I'm saying is that until it's released and turning these numbers in production form, I'll approach all the hype with a healthy dose of skepticism, just as always.

The CTS-V is a beast, and I'd LOVE to own one if I could afford it, but it's not even remotely in the same price ballpark. Not even to mention it's only a marginally better value than the M3 or Lexus IS-F.

I'd be the first one to buy American if they made a product that really competes with respect to the features and qualities that I'm looking for in a car. I was ready to sign paperwork on an '08 Corvette based on stats, until I drove one and it felt just like my friend's former '01 Camaro V6 with stiffer springs and a LOT more power. I, probably like many on this forum, buy BMW not for a list of features and paper stats all sold in a nice bottom line, but for the whole package. If that sounds fanboyish or elitist, so be it, but its true. The fact really is that I have no brand loyalty though, and every time I look for a new car I look to all the other makes FIRST.

I still think it's a great thing that it's coming back. I said the same thing when Subaru started bringing the WRX to the states about 9 years ago - even if I chose not to buy one - competition breeds excellence. More sports cars on the market is ALWAYS a good thing IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #40
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
At least Audi came up with an inovative design solution that is there own - just stealing the design idea and sticking it on a camaro is lame even if it is LED, it isn't remotely original.
BMW is as guilty for stealing design cues as much as GM is( the Lexus LS like rear on the new 7 series). Every car maker steals cues from each other. It's a fact of life.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #41
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Even the high dollar CTS-V does not have an interior as fine as a 128i, similarly equipped (leather for leather, etc).

You lost all credibility there. You probably have never sat in a CTS-V or you have to be blind. Every car mag (and from my own personal experience) talks about what a great interior the car has. To say a 128i is better is a joke.
      03-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #42
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
You lost all credibility there. You probably have never sat in a CTS-V or you have to be blind. Every car mag (and from my own personal experience) talks about what a great interior the car has. To say a 128i is better is a joke.
Keep in mind I said "quality of materials". I'm not talking about all the extra features and such, but to my hand the leather feels more supple, the steering wheel more rich, the fit and finish just a bit better.

And yes, I have been in a CTS-V. Not sure I care what you think about my credibility. The arguments are there. If you want to quibble over this minor detail which has nothing to do with the Camaro anyway, considering the CTS-V is about twice the price, fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #43
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Fanboys? Please. What reason do you have to believe its going to be different and so much better? Does the fact that they're flirting with bankruptcy lead you to believe they're going to start spending MORE on building cars (yes, those chintzy parts DO save them money) that they sell to the consumer for LESS? Take the G8 GT as a comparison: its nice on the interior, but its certainly not up to the standards of the Japanese makes as far as quality of materials (let alone Europeans), and that's about $8k MORE than the SS will command. In most other ways it's about the same (hp, size, features, etc). So they're going to release a car that's essentially just as nice (if not nicer, as you seem to imply), faster, lighter, that handles better, for about $10k less than the one they're already making. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. While recent models from GM have been getting better than previous models from an interior quality standpoint, there's no way you can honestly say that they compete with German or even Japanese makes. Even the high dollar CTS-V does not have an interior as fine as a 128i, similarly equipped (leather for leather, etc). The F-bodies have always stayed roughly competitive with the Mustang of the day. All I'm saying is that until it's released and turning these numbers in production form, I'll approach all the hype with a healthy dose of skepticism, just as always.

The CTS-V is a beast, and I'd LOVE to own one if I could afford it, but it's not even remotely in the same price ballpark. Not even to mention it's only a marginally better value than the M3 or Lexus IS-F.

I'd be the first one to buy American if they made a product that really competes with respect to the features and qualities that I'm looking for in a car. I was ready to sign paperwork on an '08 Corvette based on stats, until I drove one and it felt just like my friend's former '01 Camaro V6 with stiffer springs and a LOT more power. I, probably like many on this forum, buy BMW not for a list of features and paper stats all sold in a nice bottom line, but for the whole package. If that sounds fanboyish or elitist, so be it, but its true. The fact really is that I have no brand loyalty though, and every time I look for a new car I look to all the other makes FIRST.

I still think it's a great thing that it's coming back. I said the same thing when Subaru started bringing the WRX to the states about 9 years ago - even if I chose not to buy one - competition breeds excellence. More sports cars on the market is ALWAYS a good thing IMO.

I've been inside a 1er. I've sat in a CTS-V. I've sat in the new CTS. The 1 disappoints, and the CTS surprises. Many reviews I have read by people in the automotive business also echo the same sentiments, that the 1 interior is by far the worst effort from BMW, and the CTS is surprisingly good. Now, I haven't seen a comparo between the two directly, but I guarantee you an overwhelming majority in the industry would agree if a direct comparison was ever called into question. I've also driven my friends' WS-6's and LS1 Maros, as well as a C5 Z06 and C6 Z51. I saw no comparison in the behavior of the vehicles whatsoever, even though the F-bodies were heavily modded. How you saw a parallel (besides the cheap interior, which on old f-bodies and even current Corvettes is indeed an issue) between a vette and a V-6 Maro is completely beyond me.

I wasn't pointing the fanboism comment at you directly, but one person, biased or not, will post something about "chintzy plastics," and 100 fanboys will come out of the woodwork and hop on the wagon.... Just the way it goes. BMW does well because they make a product that is worth the premium. It's that simple. When I sit in my car, I do think it is worth that much more than the other cars out there. But that's totally just my opinion. We all have them. I tell you what, though, I would get a CTS-V in a heartbeat over an ///M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #44
runnerx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M roadster; 06 330i 6spd

The new Camaro makes 20" wheels look like 16"s... It is another big fat boat from Chevy.

2006 BMW 330i 6spd manual - gone
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--bIgrh8ES_s/TxSUCvOmDUI/AAAAAAAAPh0/OOjwrRZtta0/s912/z4mcomparo.jpg
Appreciate 0