E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Looking for advice on IWC watches

04-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
8t
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: E90 - 320

Garage List
Looking for advice on IWC watches

hi all,

i am think of getting a iwc Spitfire Chrono-Automatic. the list price and the actual price after discounts are really huge, some retailer are willing to give big discounts on the IWC watch ?

i've got a rolex SD for sometime already thinking of getting another watch, somehow the price of rolex holds very well in my part of the world. i am not sure should go for rolex or IWC ?

guys any advices ?

thanks
bt
      04-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

IWC Spitfire is a great watch, I used to have one on bracelet. Movement on that is a IWC modified Valjoux 7750. Very solid automatic movement. The reason you're seeing bigger discount on brands like IWC/Breitling/Zenith/Jaeger LaCoultre is because most of the online retailer is not an authorized dealer, also regular discount from normal retail is more then Rolex because these manufacturer do not regulate discount pricing therefore retailer have a huge markup on the price(more room to discount). Rolex have a very strict pricing standard and will not allow any authorized dealer to discount substanially (or risk getting their agreement pull) If you like the design on that watch, I say go for it. I think Rolex watches are wayyyy overtated and the looks are plain as day. Not to mention, majority of the people wearing the watch don't know or care to apperciate the movement history and only care about name brand recongnition. I say go for the IWC, the movement is better, better yet, if you want something truly solid and unique, go for a Zenith Chronomaster with their own El Primero Chrono movement, that thing beats at 36600 bps and the chrono second hand sweep smoother then anything Rolex ever offer. (I regret it big time when I sold my Chronomaster ) or if you want exclusive high end, then nothing beats a Patek Philppe or even a A.Lange & Sohne
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
mava330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [6.00]
I have an IWC Mark XV spitfire as part of my current collection; also had the 3706 Pilot Classic Chrono. The V7750 movement is the workhorse for chrono watches.

I love my IWC's for different reasons... The first is that there's something very special about the raised arabic numerals on the spitfire series. Take that outside in the sun and watch it reflect. It's quite stunning.

As part of my collection I also wear a Rolex Submariner LV, Breitling Chronomat Evolution, my IWC Mark XV, Seiko Orange Monster and a Sinn 856 UTC.

I say go for the IWC so that you have a varied collection of watches.

Dealers generally can offer about 20% from my experience. Go grey market and expect to get about 30% off. Good luck in your decision!

BTW the original previous generation Rolex Daytona's used the Zenith movement that SCblacksunshine references. I had a black face and regret selling that. It did help me fund another home purchase though so it's all good.

Oh and lastly IWC is releasing the next generation of their pilot and spitfire series watches. They introduced them at Basel. The diameter increases from 39mm to 42mm I believe for the chrono. If you already haven't looked goto their web site and check it out. Depending on your luck and owner response you might get an even better deal from the AD because the watch (in it's current form) will be discontinued. Good luck! :rocks:
2005 S2000 Silverstone / Red/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mava330

BTW the original previous generation Rolex Daytona's used the Zenith movement that SCblacksunshine references. I had a black face and regret selling that. It did help me fund another home purchase though so it's all good.
The Rolex Daytona is nice, but I also think it's overpriced for what it is. Then again I guess it has much more to do with the name and demand that's why Rolex is able to drive the price higher. Also, the movement on the older Daytona is a El Primerio 400 movement, however Rolex modified it down to 28,800 bph for the sake of long term durability.

I say for the price of a Daytona, I'll rather get a Glashutte PanoLunar or pay a little more for a Glashutte Panograph. Now those watches are sign of exquisite workmanship

Last edited by ScBlacksunshine; 04-16-2006 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
8t
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
thanks all for the input & feedback, i will report back soon on what i am getting soon. or any more feedback till i commit on the buy next 2-3 days.

for now i am going for the iwc spitfire chrono - black face.
Attached Images

04-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine
The Rolex Daytona is nice, but I also think it's overpriced for what it is. Then again I guess it has much more to do with the name and demand that's why Rolex is able to drive the price higher. Also, the movement on the older Daytona is a El Primerio 400 movement, however Rolex modified it down to 28,800 bph for the sake of long term durability.

I say for the price of a Daytona, I'll rather get a Glashutte PanoLunar or pay a little more for a Glashutte Panograph. Now those watches are sign of exquisite workmanship
Impressive photo of a gorgeous watch!

I have to disagree with you regarding your assessment of the Daytona. At about 7k retail (yes, I know how hard they are to get at retail) it's arguably the best value around in the narrow field of sport chronographs with a manufacturers movement. I certainly can't think of a more impressive chronograph movement than the 4130.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The IWC is the move. The Rolexes are nice, but way overpriced. Rolex knockoffs are so common at this point, most people will assume yours is phony anyway.

You can get the IWC and one of these (my favorite watch lately) for the price of a Daytona:
Attached Images

04-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Well, where do I start? I am not denying the Daytona is a nice watch, but to say none of the movement out there is better(for around the same price) is simply not true. Rolex is overpriced for what it is, and most people wearing it are wearing it because of the name and movement second. Just look at it, for the longest time, Daytona was using tune down Zenith movement. Now they're manufacturing their own movement, it's durable, but nothing to write home about. If you're truly buying a watch for the movement, then at that price, Zenith Chronomaster, JLC Dualmatic or Glashutte will have it beat hands down. I mean look at the workmanship on the Glashutte Original, that balance wheel is a thing of beauty. Not to mention, Glashutte is more handmade then rolex, so the watch is defintely less mass produced then Rolex. Also, since you drive a German car, Glashutte would make a perfect German companion for the car
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
8t
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep

Garage List
very well infomed feedback & response from all whom had replied.
i'll keep the infomations in mind. and keep them coming, i will be getting a watch this weekend. let's see whats the final choice will be by this weekend.

i found 2 very nice pic of the watch on the net, just sharing 2 really Impressive photo.
Attached Images

04-19-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, where do I start? I am not denying the Daytona is a nice watch, but to say none of the movement out there is better(for around the same price) is simply not true. Rolex is overpriced for what it is, and most people wearing it are wearing it because of the name and movement second. Just look at it, for the longest time, Daytona was using tune down Zenith movement. Now they're manufacturing their own movement, it's durable, but nothing to write home about. If you're truly buying a watch for the movement, then at that price, Zenith Chronomaster, JLC Dualmatic or Glashutte will have it beat hands down. I mean look at the workmanship on the Glashutte Original, that balance wheel is a thing of beauty. Not to mention, Glashutte is more handmade then rolex, so the watch is defintely less mass produced then Rolex. Also, since you drive a German car, Glashutte would make a perfect German companion for the car
Well, it's hard to argue about opinion - you have your and I have mine. The Zenith El Primero movement is a top chronograph movement - no question. Do I think the 4130 is technologically superior? Yes. Now, as to the GO - you're almost talking an apples and oranges comparison here. I like GO - a lot. But Rolex has NEVER finished their movements to the level of a Patek, JLC, Lange, or Go. That's like being critical of a 330i for performing poorly while submerged in water - it was never designed to be. Now, GO tends to be a lower priced alternative to their nearest competitor Lange, but let's not talk about whether Rolex or GO is more overpriced. We're talking luxury watch brands here.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #11
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I will say that IWC is a highly respected brand, and I might have bought the Spitfire myself a couple of years back if it were overed in an over 39mm size at the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #12
mava330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [6.00]
Turning into a rolex vs. the world debate?

I'll observe.
2005 S2000 Silverstone / Red/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_John
Well, it's hard to argue about opinion - you have your and I have mine. The Zenith El Primero movement is a top chronograph movement - no question. Do I think the 4130 is technologically superior? Yes. Now, as to the GO - you're almost talking an apples and oranges comparison here. I like GO - a lot. But Rolex has NEVER finished their movements to the level of a Patek, JLC, Lange, or Go. That's like being critical of a 330i for performing poorly while submerged in water - it was never designed to be. Now, GO tends to be a lower priced alternative to their nearest competitor Lange, but let's not talk about whether Rolex or GO is more overpriced. We're talking luxury watch brands here.

yeah but you're talking about a watch around 7k price tag (Assuming you can even get a Daytona new at that price) for that much, I know for sure there are better value out there with better movement (which was your first point of argument). Unless you're purely going for name recognition then I would have to say Rolex is bar none the most recongize name brand for luxury watch, especially for non watch people (Yes, even more famous then Patek for regular folks)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 06:41 PM   #14
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah but you're talking about a watch around 7k price tag (Assuming you can even get a Daytona new at that price) for that much, I know for sure there are better value out there with better movement (which was your first point of argument). Unless you're purely going for name recognition then I would have to say Rolex is bar none the most recongize name brand for luxury watch, especially for non watch people (Yes, even more famous then Patek for regular folks)
OK, well let's see your example then - an under 7k watch with an in house manufactured movements that is superior than the 4130.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #15
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mava330
Turning into a rolex vs. the world debate?

I'll observe.
Not really. Rolex isn't even close to being considered the best watch brand in the world.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #16
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_John
OK, well let's see your example then - an under 7k watch with an in house manufactured movements that is superior than the 4130.

G.O. Panomatic--- under 7k in house movement

Zenith Chronomaster GT--- in house movement also under or around 7k

Jaeger LaCoultre Dualmatic/Master Calendar...etc--- In house movement

IWC FA jones edition (Steel version)--- in house movement around 7k depending on dealer.

Blancpain--- almost in house movement

I mean I can go on with the list, but looking at your name I don't need to be a genius to figure out you prefer Rolex, and that's defintely your choice, but all the above listed movement is just as good if not better then the Rolex Movement (EL Primero movement uses Column wheel) but like once said "Whatever float your boat" Just like there will always be people that prefer buying Louis Vuitton bag over anything else and swear the quality is perfect..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
ryanmangos
member of LongTran Fan Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport

rolex is the new swatch watch i guess...cause it seems like everyone owns one =\
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #18
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
G.O. Panomatic--- under 7k in house movement

Zenith Chronomaster GT--- in house movement also under or around 7k

Jaeger LaCoultre Dualmatic/Master Calendar...etc--- In house movement

IWC FA jones edition (Steel version)--- in house movement around 7k depending on dealer.

Blancpain--- almost in house movement

I mean I can go on with the list, but looking at your name I don't need to be a genius to figure out you prefer Rolex, and that's defintely your choice, but all the above listed movement is just as good if not better then the Rolex Movement (EL Primero movement uses Column wheel) but like once said "Whatever float your boat" Just like there will always be people that prefer buying Louis Vuitton bag over anything else and swear the quality is perfect..
Nice list, but you fail to explain how any of the above are technically superior to the 4130. The 4130 is also utilizes a column wheel design....and uses a Rolex manufactured hairspring (first Rolex caliber to do so) comprised of a revolutionary allow which is highly resistant to temperature variance, greatly benefiting accuracy. There also the new ceramic ball bearing rotor in the self winding mechanism...The freely sprung balance wheel is finely regulated via Microstella screws, and employs Kif shock absorption....the Bruguet overcoil....

Perhaps you could be more specific about what makes the above listed calibers superior to the 4130? I mean, the Rolex 4030, was a Rolex improved version of the El Primero...essentially the same movement in the Zenith Chronomaster GT. So the 4130 is two design generations more advanced than the El Primero...how do you conclude the Zenith Chronomaster GT is a superior watch to the Daytona?

If you like X brand better than Rolex, that's fine. But if you're going to try to make an arguement that says X movement is superior to the 4130, or the X watch is better than the Daytona, I'd like to see some specifics.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 11:04 PM   #19
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
IWC watches are more exclusive and most well known are those made of titanium. I have been wearing a Porshce Design Ocean Model Automatic made by IWC for over 10 years. (As you might know, IWC no longer makes watches for Porsche Design) Whenever I go for heavy sports I will wear my IWC Ocean. I also dived in the Great barrier reef with it. It has never failed me. It is not a watch that most of the time you leave it to a draw. The major difference of a Rolex and a IWC Titanium, is the IWC is much lighter and therefore more resistance to vibrations. If I go for a IWC watch other than a titanium one, I will also consider Frank Muller's.
Below are photos I took of the latest CLS IWC AMG shows where my dream watches are the IWC AMG models.

The price is ranged from USD7000 to USD8000 depends on whether you want the metal strip or leather strip.

BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #20
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
All I know is this:

My best friend has only one watch- a Rolex Daytona. The thing is so inaccurate, he is constantly asking me what time is it, even when he's wearing it. He has sent it back to Rolex several times to have it fixed / timed, but it still loses several minutes a day.

Seven Thousand Dollars is a lot to spend for a very inaccurate watch. Perhaps my friend has a lemon, but NOBODY I know thinks of Rolex watches as superior timekeepers. I would get a Tudor before a Rolex. Anything with an ETA movement is a better move.
      04-19-2006, 11:17 PM   #21
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmangos
rolex is the new swatch watch i guess...cause it seems like everyone owns one =\

haha so true
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 05:16 AM   #22
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau
All I know is this:

My best friend has only one watch- a Rolex Daytona. The thing is so inaccurate, he is constantly asking me what time is it, even when he's wearing it. He has sent it back to Rolex several times to have it fixed / timed, but it still loses several minutes a day.

Seven Thousand Dollars is a lot to spend for a very inaccurate watch. Perhaps my friend has a lemon, but NOBODY I know thinks of Rolex watches as superior timekeepers. I would get a Tudor before a Rolex. Anything with an ETA movement is a better move.
Yea, pull the other one and it plays jingle bells....

A Daytona is a COSC certified chronometer....in order to pass, the watch must peform at a tollerance of no more than +6 to -4 seconds per day. If your "friend's" Daytona had been sent to Rolex for service (something that should be done about every 5 years for any mechanical timepiece) then it would be regulated back to within COSC specs.

If you're truly trying to suggest that a stock ETA movement is superior to a Rolex movement....well, that's like suggesting a Chevy Cavalier engine will out perform the BMW M5.
Appreciate 0