E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > I need expert computer help here!

10-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Ogopogo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I need expert computer help here!

So, my computer which is a Celeron running XP stopped working. After the initial display of the BIOS screen during bootup, I get blank screen. No error messages. No beeping. I use a bootup disk and the bootup rescue disk said I have a problem with my FAT system on the partition. I tried a little program which fits into a 1.44 meg diskette called Testdisk for DOS which is designed to fix partitions, and it did get me into C drive in DOS only so I could view the files with Testdisk but I can't get access with DOS with my regular bootup disk. By the way, Testdisk couldn't seem to fix my problem with the partition. I still can't boot into XP. Now the question, if I buy a new computer with XP or Windows 7 for the matter, and I install this hard drive as an extra, will the OS read my files? I have over 7 years worth of files on the hard drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
If the hard drive failed, then very few programs can get any data off of it. You might be able to save some of it. Stop using the drive though. It depends on what the problem is as well. Theres no guarantee that another computer will be able to get stuff off the drive.

Obviously, its always best to have a back up of all your data.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
There are services available to extract data from failed hard drives. I would look into that. In the meantime, start backing up. If the information is really important, redundant back-ups would be good.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

If the computer is posting, and then not loading windows. This definitely sounds like HDD failure. In which case, buying a new computer and putting the HDD into it to try to get data off it absolutely will not work.

You may want to get a cheap 2nd HDD, load a OS onto it, then take your original drive and put it into a external bay. Boot on the new drive and then try to access your old drive as a peripheral. Though this may be a long shot.

Did you just have a storm recently? Or did you HDD make any funny noises last time you used your computer prior to failure?
      10-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Ogopogo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
If the computer is posting, and then not loading windows. This definitely sounds like HDD failure. In which case, buying a new computer and putting the HDD into it to try to get data off it absolutely will not work.

You may want to get a cheap 2nd HDD, load a OS onto it, then take your original drive and put it into a external bay. Boot on the new drive and then try to access your old drive as a peripheral. Though this may be a long shot.

Did you just have a storm recently? Or did you HDD make any funny noises last time you used your computer prior to failure?
That's what I'm trying to do. I'm actually thinking about buying a new computer with a new OS on it as I don't even have the original OS CD because my computer came with the OS Windows XP but no CD. So, I wonder if I'll just install the second hard drive and see it if it'll read it.

Well, in the last few days, my computer had no error messages but it was very very slow for opening files, opening websites, running programs, etc. I have a strong feeling that it might have been a virus infected my computer but I never ran any new programs except just surfing the web.

Before the hard drive problem, the HD made no funny noises like grinding and Windows didn't even crash or display stuff like bad sectors or anything! But it was slow for the last fews days and Internet Explorer froze up a lot.

I should also mention that the exact morning before the crash, I actually turned up the computer and it worked then I went back to bed and I woke up again and I turned up the computer it failed to do so. No, there was no storm or anything.

So, basically, once again, I turn on the computer, it shows the BIOS settings like memory, motherboard, video card info, even hard drive is detected, and after that everything is BLANK!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I actually had a situation like yours. I eventually couldn't boot into Windows on my ancient computer. I started to freak out cuz I had so much data I wanted to keep on my HD.

Fortunately, on my new computer, I was able to hook up my old HD and pull the files I wanted to transfer. I guess the issue was in the boot sector of the old hard drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Just an FYI to the OP.

Windows 7 is going to be released Oct. 22nd. That is next Thursday. If you decide to get a new OS to trouble shoot it, or just buying a new computer I'd probably try to hold off until 7 is released. They sell computers now that have free 7 upgrades, however I personally would prefer a fresh full 7 install over an upgrade install.
      10-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

OP, if you have another comp, hook that hdd up and see if it reads
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Ogopogo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I actually had a situation like yours. I eventually couldn't boot into Windows on my ancient computer. I started to freak out cuz I had so much data I wanted to keep on my HD.

Fortunately, on my new computer, I was able to hook up my old HD and pull the files I wanted to transfer. I guess the issue was in the boot sector of the old hard drive.
I really hope that's the case. Was your computer running XP when the old HD failed on you? When you bought the new computer did the new computer detect the drive right away or did you have to do some sort of setup?

On an another note, I'm leaving for Hawaii tommorow so I hope it cheers me up a bit. Gonna go island hopping on Maui and Big Island! I got myself a new Nikon D700 with a 24-70 f/2.8 just for the trip.

Now, I have to find some money for the new computer. I'm not going to spend more than 600 dollars for the box though. I'm going to get myself a external HD and do a dual backup with the built in DVD burner on my laptop computer.
Appreciate 0