E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Need For Speed Shift Blows

10-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Need For Speed Shift Blows

Ive had this game for about a week and a half and im half way through it. I plan on giving it back today, which is sad because ive shelpped my way through Undercover and Prostreet (which were aweful).

Let me start with the physics. Every single car in this game will turn in with violent oversteer before setelling into massive oversteer no matter your suspension setup and even if you follow the racing line perfectly. It is not as noticible with the slower cars, but it becomes and issue with Tier 3 and up as your gut reaction is to correct the oversteer, this will make you lose.

Then there is the fact that the cars do not have any weight to them. You hit a bump in the track and even on the softest suspension settings possible the car will simply bounce for hundreds of feet, and some of the tracks are so rough they are not driveable with any sort of speed. Yet this bouncing effect doesnt effect your opponents, who will happily slip past you as to try to regain control of the car.

The tires also have no grip whatsoever. With a Works converted E46 M3 at a half throttle launch the tires will spin and spin and spin and spin, and common, an M3 that smokes the rears through 6th? On a straight away at full throttle the rear tires will scream and violent oversteer is a constant issue.

Then there is the Agressive VS Precision driving style. Its a nice idea, until oone of the mid race star challenges is to spin out 5 opponents and you are a precision driver. A virtually impossible task as you cannot perform a PIT manuver due to the physics. You are forced to slam into them until the computer decides to budge, and then most of the time you spin anyway because the spinning opponent magically hits you.

Now onto the customization. Its bullcrap. The body upgrades are Body Kit 1, Body Kit 2, Body Kit 3, and the Works Body Kit. There is no unique hood, wing, or body options as in previous NFS Titles. The higher Tier cars do not even have any sort of customization options whatsoever, not even performance mods. Its crap, I want to slap a wing, Nos, suspension, etc on a Carrera GT and drive the shit out of it. I cant do that because I cant make it competitive against the Veyron, because I can customize jack-shit about the Carrera GT(my favorite car).

Hell you cant even powdercoat your wheels.

This game is an Epic Fail and I hope nobody else buys it.

:End Rant:

Ohh and dont even get me started about the fact that the 135i is in the same tier as a Focus ST.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Lol ya I love everything about this game except what you just stated. I wouldn't mind the unrealistic physics if the bouncing effect was fixed. Try driving an e46 m3 on the corkscrew at laguna seca. It's impossible. I think EA has acknowledged this and they're trying to fix it. Anyways if it wasn't for the bounciness, this game would be awesome.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 328i

What version are you running? Because I haven't seen anything near that bad on the 360 . . . some bouncing, but not really all that much.
      10-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I've found a couple bugs in the game too. After a while, the cars in the car lot show that they are all drift, nitrous, and works capable until you actually buy it and find out otherwise. I wanted to mod the tier 4 cars so bad too. Another minor bug is that when choosing a car for a head's up race, the specs on the car will reflect the ones on the exact same car you have in your garage (if you have it). For example, a 420HP RS4 vs. a 760HP M3 (although it's actually 414hp).

I've also noticed the bounciness. You hit a bump when starting to brake at the end of the straight sometimes and can't correct yourself until you're already in the gravel.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I tried the demo and hated it.

Forza 3 FTW
      10-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliesen View Post
What version are you running? Because I haven't seen anything near that bad on the 360 . . . some bouncing, but not really all that much.
360. Have you driven SPA? The last schcane is damn near impossible because of its bounciness.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep

Yeah, the right out of the bus stop is a little bumpy and I haven't found a good path around them yet. And there's one turn at the end of a long straight on another track that has a bad invisible bump, but once you know it's there if you brake way early you can stay on track.

It's certainly not perfect - but I haven't found it to be unplayable at all. In fact, only one more epic badge to go until I get 1K/1K . . . . and then Forza will be out
      10-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

yeh the drifting is horrible too
      10-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

you have valid points. The thing is this is rampant with all the assists off. With the assists on and difficulty of medium it is bearable. I played the game on hard and everything off and full damage and the game kicked my ass to the extent where I would average 20 restarts per race. Towards the end of the gameI changed the difficulty to medium and was able to finish it.

What I like about this game is the detail in the cockpit view and the sense of speed you get. not to mention when you slam into something or hit something you get that whole bashing and blurry feeling as opposed to a thud and damage decals on a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Thats the thing. I go balls out and no assists. I would agree that the cockpit view is fantastic and is easily the best part of the game. But even on medium I was getting my ass kicked by the tracks.

And lets not even mention how many times I was rear ended while braking at the end of the front straight on SPA. So damn frustraiting.

I gave it back to Gamefly today. If someone tells me when they fix the physics issues I will be more than glad to pick it up again. But until then...

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
Major
Armenia
Rep

Anybody buy an e46 M3? It's the ultimate bounce mobile lol The evo 9 on the other hand, handles exactly like it would in real life. How can they mess up so badly. Plus in the tuning menu, understeer and oversteer are the opposite. When you put towards more oversteer your car starts understeering

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #12
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Thats the thing. I go balls out and no assists. I would agree that the cockpit view is fantastic and is easily the best part of the game. But even on medium I was getting my ass kicked by the tracks.

And lets not even mention how many times I was rear ended while braking at the end of the front straight on SPA. So damn frustraiting.

I gave it back to Gamefly today. If someone tells me when they fix the physics issues I will be more than glad to pick it up again. But until then...
Man, you shoulda tried harder. It was stupidly frustrating at times but I wanted to beat it. Ever since i did, I havnt played it since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Anybody buy an e46 M3? It's the ultimate bounce mobile lol The evo 9 on the other hand, handles exactly like it would in real life. How can they mess up so badly. Plus in the tuning menu, understeer and oversteer are the opposite. When you put towards more oversteer your car starts understeering
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I don't care what you all say, I'm playing every damn race. Knocked out some of the endurance ones last night
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliesen View Post
Yeah, the right out of the bus stop is a little bumpy and I haven't found a good path around them yet. And there's one turn at the end of a long straight on another track that has a bad invisible bump, but once you know it's there if you brake way early you can stay on track.
You talking about the end of the front straight at Road America?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Major
Armenia
Rep

Radnom bump at laguna seca right after the chicane. When you exit the chicane and have that long left turn, the car vibrates randomly and starts sliding.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #16
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
You talking about the end of the front straight at Road America?
I don't think it was Road America - I'll have to fire it up again tonight to try and knock out that last Elite badge/achievement. It's one of the ones that looks a bit desert like in the background . . .
      10-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yes, I know what you mean! I forget the name, but it was an American track as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I had such high hopes for this after reading/watching the IGN review a few weeks before it came out. Thought EA had finally pulled their heads out of their asses and made a good NFS like back in the day. Better than the last few, but not quite.

Haven't had a chance to play Forza 3 yet, but assuming this will be much better.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #19
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I got sick of it pretty quick. I played the forza 3 demo, went back to shift, and immediately threw that shit in the trash. (ok well not really, but it is sitting on the floor collecting dust)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #20
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
I got sick of it pretty quick. I played the forza 3 demo, went back to shift, and immediately threw that shit in the trash. (ok well not really, but it is sitting on the floor collecting dust)
Same here. I usually love IGN's reviews but this time I think the grading was FUCKED up. Forza demo was awesome...
      10-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #21
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Need For Speed Shift Blows
Yup.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #22
darkphantom