E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Building New PC...

09-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #23
d_crome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Time VXRS

Ah - thats the MB I'm currently running - It's a real little beast! I love it so far.

Yeah - to be honest not such a great deal then considering he's going to have to replace the Ram and PSU - though if he doesn't like getting his hands dirty and just wants something to plug in and go - then yeah, not a bad deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #24
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
Strange...
my bad... it couldn't read after being up for ~24 hours.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #25
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_crome View Post
Ah - thats the MB I'm currently running - It's a real little beast! I love it so far.

Yeah - to be honest not such a great deal then considering he's going to have to replace the Ram and PSU - though if he doesn't like getting his hands dirty and just wants something to plug in and go - then yeah, not a bad deal.
HAHA. Why would he need to change those parts?

It is 9GB of DDR3 running at 1333MHz with good timing. That is more than enough for every game out there now, and for at least 3 years. Even if he overclocks he can just lower the baseclock for the RAM and have no issues.

Same goes for the PSU...people have really jacked up ideas on how much power they really need.
My rig is an i7 920 at 4.4GHz with 12GB Corsair XMS3 RAM, 2xGeForce 285 GTXs in SLI + GeForce 260 216 for PhysX, 2xRaptors in RAID 0, 2x7200.12 1TB HDDs in RAID 0, 2xX25-M G2's in RAID 0, P6T Deluxe Motherboard, and a Corsair 1000W PSU.
--I measured my power draw from the wall using a Kill-a-Watt and at full load (dling while encoding while gaming) I drew 782W from the wall (80+ Efficient unit).

I think if he doesn't have a Microcenter near him to get an i7 920 and doesn't care about the fun of building it is a great deal. (And if he isn't going to overclock, an amazing deal)

Otherwise, look for a good barebones bundle at Tigerdirect or just wait for great deals at slickdeals...either way for gaming go for:
intel Core i7 920 (new i5's are rolling put along with new Intel P55 motherboards...should be cheaper)
6GB of quality DDR3
a decent ATX case
650W Corsair PSU (Or Seasonic, Forton, PC P&C, other top brands)
GeForce GTX 275
ASUS P6T SE Motherboard
1TB 7200.12 Seagate HDD
1xSammy/SonyNEC/etc SATA DVD+-RW drive

This could be done for around a $1000-1200 with mild effort.
For your best bet, go to [H]ardForum @ hardforum.com

At the least, read: http://e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263929
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #26
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Disagree on the GTX275. This is probably the worst time in the last 2 years to buy a top end GPU. New cards with completely new architecture are literally right around the corner, even if you just wanted the GTX275 it will be at least $30 cheaper in 2 months time. Seeing as there are no big game titles that come out between now and Nov. (Aion maybe? MMO though so not top top graphics) there is no reason to be hasty and buy a big card right now.

And why Seagate? Always been a WD guy myself. Ever since WD revamped all their drives a few years ago with new bearings to run quieter/smoother, they've been pretty much the pinnacle in HDD imho.

On the DVD/BD/CD rom drive, get a Lite-On. All those other companies use Lite-On roms that are just repackaged and rebadged. The stock Lite-On will usually save you a few $$$.
      09-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #27
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That guy ended up with an Antec 1200? Why didn't you guys talk him out of that? Full tower cases are wayyyyy to large. The only benefit is just the room to work around in them but for most poeple (most of the poeple asking for help at least) only go into that case once, when they build it. To the OP of this thread, make sure you use a Mid-tower ATX case. I've had a full tower before, kind of a pain.
      09-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #28
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If you read through the following thread, you will see it is an ASUS Rampage GENE (modified) motherboard: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us
Btw, that mobo is a "modified" Rampage II.

Quote:
The motherboard if you didn't know is a Rampage II GENE somewhat modified from the retail version.
That means that they probably swapped out alot of the transistors for equal rating but lower quality substitutes. I would say this isn't equal to the retain Rampage II.
      09-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #29
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Disagree on the GTX275. This is probably the worst time in the last 2 years to buy a top end GPU. New cards with completely new architecture are literally right around the corner, even if you just wanted the GTX275 it will be at least $30 cheaper in 2 months time. Seeing as there are no big game titles that come out between now and Nov. (Aion maybe? MMO though so not top top graphics) there is no reason to be hasty and buy a big card right now.

And why Seagate? Always been a WD guy myself. Ever since WD revamped all their drives a few years ago with new bearings to run quieter/smoother, they've been pretty much the pinnacle in HDD imho.

On the DVD/BD/CD rom drive, get a Lite-On. All those other companies use Lite-On roms that are just repackaged and rebadged. The stock Lite-On will usually save you a few $$$.
First of all, the 275 is hardly a high end card. I haven't followed ATi much recently but the NV70/GT300 architecture cards will release first with the enthusiast configuration (speculation based off rumors) which will run $500-$600, out of the OPs budget. I guess if the OP wants to save $30 and doesn't mind waiting a few months (November-ish) he can hold off. (Thread with most rumors coalesced together: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1419637)

As for the hard drives, I own around 350 hard drives from all different makes in my computers...with the exception of Maxtor and Hitachi they (Seagate and WD) are good with both failing at the same rate. I opted to suggested the 7200.12 because it has the latest tech in terms of platter size and speed and after owning 2, I stand by that. (Know that some firmware issues do exist). As for WD, I don't know why you have so much love for them as I have seen them fail many times as well....but the the OP...with either brand you will be fine.

BD/dvd drive, Liteon's are fine but not all other companies rebrand...Sony/NEC rebranded initially but now they manufacture and design their own drives.

Quote:
That guy ended up with an Antec 1200? Why didn't you guys talk him out of that? Full tower cases are wayyyyy to large. The only benefit is just the room to work around in them but for most poeple (most of the poeple asking for help at least) only go into that case once, when they build it. To the OP of this thread, make sure you use a Mid-tower ATX case. I've had a full tower before, kind of a pain.
I use a CM Stacker 830, Silverstone TJ-10, and a Thermaltake Armor+. These are all "supertower" cases. Neither of my cases have been a pain in the a*s in over 3 years. I built it with ease (thanks to removable mobo tray) and the increased space along with better air management keeps my case cooler. The guy in the other thread was happy with the Antec 1200 as that was what he wanted, hence why I didn't talk him out of it (not my responsibility either)...

If the OP likes mid towers more...go for them....I personally don't like the lack of space, but a case is really up to the individual.

Quote:
Btw, that mobo is a "modified" Rampage II.

That means that they probably swapped out alot of the transistors for equal rating but lower quality substitutes. I would say this isn't equal to the retain Rampage II.
No, I have compared the two mobos side by side and talked with ASUS CRs on this. They are the same (Rampage II Gene and Essentio's mobo) with the only difference being the BIOS. The store computer has a gimped bios to prevent folks from running amok and needing warranty work. (store bios limits you to profiled overclocking) Several threads exist on flashing the full featured BIOS onto it exist. Either way, it doesn't sound like the OP will be going too nuts overclocking.

Anyways, I am done posting in this thread as the OP has enough information and sources to find it. Anything more will just serve to confuse him.
OP: post a list of parts you decide on and I can help critique them if you find that helpful (or you can go to hardforum or anandtech forums and you will find a section in each dedicated for the same purpose). Good luck and have fun! (and remember, if you want to puss out, the prebuilt is a decent buy!)

Last edited by vgame64; 09-05-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #30
asifsid
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C200

Building New PC

Hello

You can also try http://www.pccounter.net/by-category...-computer.html where you can find deals and coupons on laptop computers i.e. Dell, HP, Sony etc.

i found one nice deal : Dell Latitude E5400, 20GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive For $874 With $348 Discount Plus Free Shipping
      10-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #31
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Heres my take.

core i5 processor $200
gtx260 $160-200
mobo $100
any fast hd
4gb ram

This will be a good gaming pc for a while. If you have left over money you could always bump to a i7 processor or higher end gpu but thats probably not necessary.

(I have gaming laptop for sale actually....hehe)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #32
fai
._.
Rep
Drives: X3

You guys that live in the states are so lucky getting I7 920 as low as $199!

I'm currently building one also right now... Got some parts already but still looking around especially for the motherboard and the CPU for a good price..

Here in Canada, ON best price you can get from the store for rampage ii extreme is $419 + tax and everything so it's going to cost around $450 if not more.. Also for the I7 920 it's always about $320 + 14% tax.

This is my list so far for the new cpu i'm building..

Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS -- Already got it for $180 (tax included) http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1273&ID=1411
PSU: Antec Quattro 1000w -- Already got it for $170 (tax included) http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NTk=
Motherboard -- Rampage II Extreme (Cheapest I've seen was at ebay selling for $400 shipped)
CPU -- I7 920 (Cheapest I've seen was at ebay selling for $300 shipped)
Video card -- thinking about getting the GTX260

As for hard drives and memory, i'm still looking around for them..

Any of you that live in Canada know a good place to buy these parts? Or maybe some of you that live in the states know a good place that will ship to Canada?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #33
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fai View Post
You guys that live in the states are so lucky getting I7 920 as low as $199!

I'm currently building one also right now... Got some parts already but still looking around especially for the motherboard and the CPU for a good price..

Here in Canada, ON best price you can get from the store for rampage ii extreme is $419 + tax and everything so it's going to cost around $450 if not more.. Also for the I7 920 it's always about $320 + 14% tax.

This is my list so far for the new cpu i'm building..

Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS -- Already got it for $180 (tax included) http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1273&ID=1411
PSU: Antec Quattro 1000w -- Already got it for $170 (tax included) http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NTk=
Motherboard -- Rampage II Extreme (Cheapest I've seen was at ebay selling for $400 shipped)
CPU -- I7 920 (Cheapest I've seen was at ebay selling for $300 shipped)
Video card -- thinking about getting the GTX260

As for hard drives and memory, i'm still looking around for them..

Any of you that live in Canada know a good place to buy these parts? Or maybe some of you that live in the states know a good place that will ship to Canada?
I wouldnt get the i7 920. Id get the i5 or i7 860. They use less power but are faster. They have higher fps in games as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #34
fai
._.
Rep

Really? Damn... I'm not sure what to get anymore now lol
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #35
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Really? Damn... I'm not sure what to get anymore now lol
Different motherboard, different processor. Make sure ram is compatible. Keep the gtx 260. It will be faster and cheaper to build then what you posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #36
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

man when is the next GPU series coming out from nvidia?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #37
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
man when is the next GPU series coming out from nvidia?
Nvidia is still claiming it will be out this year. So my best guess is they are aiming for some time in November.

Nvidia can go either way with it. I've seen them be silent and do a massive release before on a great card. But it is odd that they are sooo silent right now. I am waiting for the GT300 cards to come out too though. I have high expectations.

As for the GTX260 right now, I really wouldn't be buying any card atm. But for nearly the same price you could get a HD4890. I'm not a big fan of ATI, but right now they have the market.
      10-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #38
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I wouldnt get the i7 920. Id get the i5 or i7 860. They use less power but are faster. They have higher fps in games as well.
1156 socket CPU's (i5, i7 700s/800s) only get dual channel ram(4 sticks). Where as 1366 socket CPU's (i7 900s) get triple channel ram(6 sticks). Although, I've read the i7 920 limits the fsb to only 1066 mhz stock and must be overclocked to better utilize faster ram. But the i7 920 is better for overclocking overall anyways from what i've read. Where the i5 and i7 chips are more mainstream.

The power difference is 130W for the i7 900, and 95W for the i5 and i7 800s. But if you overclock then your power consumption will go up anyways, roughly 45%. Personally, I'm not too worried about power consumption. But I'm about as far away from caring about being 'green' as one can get. To each their own.

One other thing is that you can get an i5 cpu with 1366 socket, but i've heard bad things about them. So I'm not sure i'd mess around with that.
      10-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #39
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Forgot to add that the 1366 socket will be used for Intel's next gen chips using 6 cores. For future compatibility the 1366 is the better solution. If you care about that type of thing.
      10-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #40
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah but dual vs triple channel ram doesnt matter. There are some proven gains but not anything that makes a big enough difference to justify the price or power increase. The 920 is older, slower, and uses more power. Yes it has triple channel ram but games score higher fps with the other cpus. The triple channel ram doesnt do enough to justify the higher cost or higher wattage.

Heres the only decent options for midrange. Will last for quite a while. At least a gen or two with most games on max. No reason to waste money on better stuff. No games take advantage of it and a year or two you will be upgrading anyway.

-fast hdd or ssd.
-good compatible ram, min 4gb
-applicable mobo $100

-i5 750 (cheap, low power, fast, turbo boost, no triple channel, no hyperthreading) $200
-i7 860 (cheap, low power, fast, turbo boost, no triple channel, yes hyperthreading) $289
-i7 920 (cheap, high power, slow, no turbo, yes triple channel, yes hyperthreading) $279

-gtx260 $150
-gtx275 $230

There is no better choice for the price, performance and power usage. Low power with high fps and really cheap cost. That list is the sweet spot. I cant recommend the 920 though, it doesnt score high enough anymore. A i5 with mobo for $300?!?! Then a gtx260 for $150!?!? Thats only $450 for a rig that will play everything on MAX. No better deal anywhere.

Last edited by deletedelete; 10-15-2009 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #41
fai
._.
Rep

Where can I get a mobo + i5 chip for $300? o_O... Less than $100 for mobo.. I dont really want to cheap out on the mobo. As for the video card, I got myself a deal already. gtx260 for $110 no tax .

I'm seriously leaning toward the i7 920 with the r2e motherboard since I'll be using that motherboard for the i9 chips coming out later. It's either the R2E or p6t deluxe v2... That one looks promising too.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #42
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Where can I get a mobo + i5 chip for $300? o_O... Less than $100 for mobo.. I dont really want to cheap out on the mobo. As for the video card, I got myself a deal already. gtx260 for $110 no tax .

I'm seriously leaning toward the i7 920 with the r2e motherboard since I'll be using that motherboard for the i9 chips coming out later. It's either the R2E or p6t deluxe v2... That one looks promising too.
newegg. mobos for the i5 can be had for $100. i5 chips are $200.

The i7 920 is outdated now, in both power useage and performance. But if your gonna be upgrading to a better cpu in the future, then u need a mobo that can handle it. I wouldnt sacrifice current power for a possible future upgrade though. The future tech could change alot before your ready to buy.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #43
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

i7 920's can still be had for $199 from B&M MicroCenter locations.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0302727
      10-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #44
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
The i7 920 is outdated now, in both power useage and performance. But if your gonna be upgrading to a better cpu in the future, then u need a mobo that can handle it. I wouldnt sacrifice current power for a possible future upgrade though. The future tech could change alot before your ready to buy.
Not sure why you said this. While the i5 might be close to the i7 in performance, it doesn't excel it. So there is no power sacrifice. And if we're being honest even if there was it would be slight, and since no game right now is really pushing cpus it is a bit of a moot point.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 10-16-2009 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0