E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Siberian Huskies

11-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Siberian Huskies

I've been thinking about getting a siberian husky and was just wondering if anyone here has any personal experience with them. Are issues like shedding, need for attention really as bad as they seem? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
They act like puppies till the day they die. VERY high energy and need to be given a LOT of exercise. Also try to find a local breeder who has had multiple generations... or at least a breeder in a warm climate with multiple gens. The reason why is: huskies adapt to their climate over a few generations. If you get a cold weather bred dog then it wont like the warm weather. If you get a warm weather bred dog it will hold up better.

Tuned E92 335, Riss Racing downpipes! And hopefully over 400RWHP!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
THE_PRO
Canada
Rep
Drives: like a madman

When they change their coat, they shed a lot, it's best if you have no carpet at home. They will most likely need to always be leashed, and I'm telling you, it's a biatch chasing them once they start running. They need space, so it's best if you have a backyard for them to run around.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat View Post
They act like puppies till the day they die. VERY high energy and need to be given a LOT of exercise. Also try to find a local breeder who has had multiple generations... or at least a breeder in a warm climate with multiple gens. The reason why is: huskies adapt to their climate over a few generations. If you get a cold weather bred dog then it wont like the warm weather. If you get a warm weather bred dog it will hold up better.
That's very good point. I will definitely remember this when looking for a local breeder.

I've been looking at some breeders from afar but they're $$$. $800 for a pup + 300 for shipping. I thought perhaps rescuing a husky would be kind of cool too.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
get german shepherds and paint them
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_PRO View Post
When they change their coat, they shed a lot, it's best if you have no carpet at home. They will most likely need to always be leashed, and I'm telling you, it's a biatch chasing them once they start running. They need space, so it's best if you have a backyard for them to run around.
yeah I heard that once they start running they will never come home. Our house here is like 80 percent carpet so that might be a challenge I was contemplating maybe let it stay outside once it's grown up but I'd feel somewhat guilty. We have a pretty big backyard so it should be okay there. Our fence is high too so hopefully they wont be able to just hop over.

Do you know if they need to be walked EVERY DAY or maybe once or twice a week is sufficient as long as they have room to run and dig in the backyard?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
cute dog. dont put it in ur car.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

my friend has a white husky about a year old now. i don't know the origin of it being cold or warm bred but they do shed ALOT. i would prefer carpet that way you can vacuum, wood floors the hairs are more visible and its harder to clean i believe. but point blank they are hairy, like their coats, and shed alot.

another thing to keep is mind is that they are VERY energetic and when left alone in house they get lonely and can cause problems. my friend's dog at first when left by itself tore the pillows, etc and when he got home it was a mess. after research huskys tend to need a partner to keep them company. maybe not another husky but a another campanion.

+1 on the backyard to let the roam around and release some energy.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
another thing to keep is mind is that they are VERY energetic and when left alone in house they get lonely and can cause problems. my friend's dog at first when left by itself tore the pillows, etc and when he got home it was a mess. after research huskys tend to need a partner to keep them company. maybe not another husky but a another campanion.
Your buddy should have invested in a cage.

My family used to breed labs and that was the first thing we told our buyers. Go out and buy yourself a cage large enough for when the dog is full grown and buy a cage barrier. If you put the pup in the cage w/o the barrier he'll just go to the back and shit/piss and stay up front the rest of the time. With the barrier the pup won't have the room so it won't shit/piss in the place it's going to sleep. As the dog gets older you slowly move the barrier back until it's no longer needed.

The cage will also give the dog it's own personal space. At first you won't notice this because you'll only be putting the dog in the cage when you leave or if it was bad. But eventually you'll find that the dog will just go and sleep in it's cage because that is where it will feel safe.

The cage will also allow you to properly house train the dog. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROPERLY HOUSE TRAIN A DOG WITHOUT A CAGE, unless you can eat a couple K of damage the dog WILL CAUSE w/o a cage. Trust me, it is better for the puppy and your family to cage train the dog. If not you will resent the puppy and be looking to give it away in just a few days. Uncaged, rambunctious dogs such as a husky, lab, german shepard MUST be cage trained.

If you don't buy the cage expect me to tell you "I told you so" in a couple weeks when you post the thread, "My Siberian Husky puppy shit all over the house and ate my leather coach" or "Who wants a husky puppy for cheap"

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
jerrym
Second Lieutenant
China
Rep
Drives: GT35R Pinto

what about an american eskimo
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
american eskimos are very cute. my friend goes to work on a reg 9-5 job so leaving the dog in the cage for that long was out of the question for him.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
my friend goes to work on a reg 9-5 job so leaving the dog in the cage for that long was out of the question for him.
That is not out of question. He just didn't have the heart to do it. You take the dog out before you leave and stick it in the cage. In the end it's a dog, it will live being in a cage from 9-5. If he didn't have the heart to cage it because of his 9-5 job, then he shouldn't have gotten the dog in the first place.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
too "white"

Better get a Keeshound.

My keeshound died of age 3 years ago. He was 13.
Fun dog. very protective.

On the down side... they shed ALOT.
and they are high maintenance to keep all that fur in top condition.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
yeah I heard that once they start running they will never come home. Our house here is like 80 percent carpet so that might be a challenge I was contemplating maybe let it stay outside once it's grown up but I'd feel somewhat guilty. We have a pretty big backyard so it should be okay there. Our fence is high too so hopefully they wont be able to just hop over.

Do you know if they need to be walked EVERY DAY or maybe once or twice a week is sufficient as long as they have room to run and dig in the backyard?
i would say dont even bother getting a dog if you will not walk it AT least once a day.

dog's need exercise, just because you have a big back yard and room for it to run around in, doesn't mean the dog will.

keep in mind, dog's love company, it can run circle's for hours in the yard alone, but will be much more happier going on a jog/walk with you.

also, you cant really judge a whole breed. only thing you can do is generalize physical attributes to a breed, average height, weight, etc..

as far as the dog's temperament, its totally up you as the owner. you need to set rules and limitations, but on the same hand, also rewarding the dog and LOTS of exercise. I had a pittbull for 13 years before she passed away. she was a baby, calm, playful, and not a danger to anyone.

I have owned a husky before, and they are great dog's. Just know they will not be very happy during the summer. Mine did not want to go out much, just wanted to stay put and lay under the A/C all day.

Sorry for the long post, just thought I would share some experience with you.
Here is a pic of my dog, i miss her dearly

11-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleo View Post

That's a beautiful dog. Im sorry for the loss. It's definitely hard to get over a bond that you've made for 13 years.

Yeah I dont know if I will be able to walk the dog every single day (perhaps like 3 times a week). But my family can take turn walking the dog though. It will be around people pretty much all day everyday and will be free to roam the yard as well. Hopefully that will keep it happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #16
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post

My family used to breed labs and that was the first thing we told our buyers. Go out and buy yourself a cage large enough for when the dog is full grown and buy a cage barrier.

If you don't buy the cage expect me to tell you "I told you so" in a couple weeks when you post the thread, "My Siberian Husky puppy shit all over the house and ate my leather coach" or "Who wants a husky puppy for cheap"

Yeah I've been reading up on the breed (and a couple of other breeds as well) and found that if left alone for a long period of time (especially not trained), they will wreak havoc in the house. They suggest (like you've suggested) that people should crate train the dog. I will definitely buy a cage for it. Do you mind if I PM you from time to time for training advice if I get a dog?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Quote:
That's a beautiful dog. Im sorry for the loss. It's definitely hard to get over a bond that you've made for 13 years.

Yeah I dont know if I will be able to walk the dog every single day (perhaps like 3 times a week). But my family can take turn walking the dog though. It will be around people pretty much all day everyday and will be free to roam the yard as well. Hopefully that will keep it happy.
Sounds like you will make a good home for the dog, good luck and post some pics when you get him/her.
      11-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #18
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you mind if I PM you from time to time for training advice if I get a dog?
No not a problem, feel free.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #19
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is not out of question. He just didn't have the heart to do it. You take the dog out before you leave and stick it in the cage. In the end it's a dog, it will live being in a cage from 9-5. If he didn't have the heart to cage it because of his 9-5 job, then he shouldn't have gotten the dog in the first place.
+1 on that but still. leaving your dog in a trapped cage with all that energy from 9-5 is really harsh.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #20
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:

My family used to breed labs and that was the first thing we told our buyers. Go out and buy yourself a cage large enough for when the dog is full grown and buy a cage barrier. If you put the pup in the cage w/o the barrier he'll just go to the back and shit/piss and stay up front the rest of the time. With the barrier the pup won't have the room so it won't shit/piss in the place it's going to sleep. As the dog gets older you slowly move the barrier back until it's no longer needed.

The cage will also give the dog it's own personal space. At first you won't notice this because you'll only be putting the dog in the cage when you leave or if it was bad. But eventually you'll find that the dog will just go and sleep in it's cage because that is where it will feel safe.

The cage will also allow you to properly house train the dog. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROPERLY HOUSE TRAIN A DOG WITHOUT A CAGE, unless you can eat a couple K of damage the dog WILL CAUSE w/o a cage. Trust me, it is better for the puppy and your family to cage train the dog. If not you will resent the puppy and be looking to give it away in just a few days. Uncaged, rambunctious dogs such as a husky, lab, german shepard MUST be cage trained.

+1. Good advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #21
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
+1 on that but still. leaving your dog in a trapped cage with all that energy from 9-5 is really harsh.
Agreed that it sucks but there really are very little options. You can hire someone to come let the dog out, have a family member/friend stop by, board the dog during the day, leave it in the cage, or not get a pet at all.

The options kinda suck. No one is going to board a dog daily unless money is falling out of their ass, likewise with hiring someone to stop by. Who really has a family member/friend that would be willing to stop by 5 days a week to let your dog out?

So the only 2 logical options are leaving it in the cage from 9-5, which the dog will be fine, just make sure to pay it a little extra attention from 7-8am and from 6-11pm. OR don't get the dog. Being in the cage all day would suck, but it won't mind, it will actually get used to it after a couple days.

Every single one of our labs was caged during the day regardless of how long we were going to be gone. It trained them for when it was finally time to let them roam the house when we weren't home. Now my family can leave our 3 labs alone uncaged all day long if need be, and none of them will shit, piss, or chew anything it wasn't supposed to.

Dogs need a schedule just like a child. Feed them twice a day at scheduled times and they'll go to the bathroom like clockwork. They'll also learn your patterns, when you come and go for work, sleep, etc. It's not about being cruel, it's about raising a good family pet.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #22
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
A few years back I adopted a Husky that someone had found in their backyard. He ended up being the best dog that I had ever had/seen before. I had my dog, "cash," for a few a few months before I reluctantly gave him to my grandfather after my father had bought me an arctic fox pup as a present (he had paid a breeder for one around a year prior to us actually getting the pup so it was just bad timing that we had just adopted a dog). Anyway, cash (who we named cash because technically he was free since we adopted him, but after we brought him the the vet he ended up costing us more then a pedigree ), wanted to eat the fox pup, and would go crazy just from his scent, so I gave him to my grandfather who loved the dog as much as we did. As faith would have it, our fox pup "Yogi" had pneumonia since the scumbag breeder had shipped him to us way before he should have been taken from my mother and died less than two weeks after we got him.

Sorry to get off on a tangent, but until I moved a few months ago I saw my dog Cash a few times per week, and he has the best temperment of any dog I have ever seen. He is excellent with kids, very obedient, very smart, lots of energy, and he literally thinks that he is a person. He LOVES people, the moment that you leave him alone he will start to cry for attention. He loves to go for long walks even if he has been running around in the backyard all day long, so keep in mind that Husky's require a lot of excercise and attention. After having this dog I would never look to get any other kind of dog, Huskys are great! The only down side is that I would say that it is probably impossible to keep a husky in your house if you are any type of neat freak like I am. My dog sheds ALL YEAR LONG!! It can be the middle of winter with snow on the ground, and if you pet him 2 hours after combing out his fur, you will still get a handful of fur. Really, he sheds all the time. Aside from that though, he is a great dog, and I don't think that you can go wrong with a Husky.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0