E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > About Gas and Oil...

05-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

About Gas and Oil...

This, in part, was emailed to me.
Thought you guys might want to know:

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of
16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon . In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON:

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill- up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

Companies that import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell......................... .. 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway.. 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco......................... ...62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel , these exports amount to over $18 BILLION! (Oil is now $100-$120 a barrel. Don't buy from CITGO).

Companies that DO NOT import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels

Conoco.. ................0 barrels

Sinclair..................0 barrels

B P/Phillips...........0 barrels

Hess.......................0 barrels

ARC0....................0 barrels

If you go to Sunoco.com, you will get a list of the station locations near you.

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy

and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

To have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do.

I'm sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)..and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) and so on, by the time the message re aches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers !!!!!!! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people...and maybe we can make a dent in this gasoline dependency.

Congressman Bill Grant
7524 Heartland Circle Tallahassee , Florida 32312 Tel. #850-894-1350 Cell #850-510-8108 Email: fmrcong@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

I have been primarily using Shell and Chevron in the past years.
Looks like I may have to start going to others.
I avoid Exxon/Mobil because they are not a top tier gas AND they record outrageous record profits in the past few years as they lead the way in price gouging and riding the gravy train on screwing us on gas and oil prices.
If everybody avoided Exxon/Mobil until they lowered their prices below $2.50 a gallon, we might get somewhere in dropping oil prices. But that's another story all together.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
thanks for sharing.... i think everyone should pay attention to this.

i, however am not worried about gas prices. ive been paying 3tt a liter for the past 10 years lol. infact, our govt promises us that our gas price will stay the same. they have finally delivered.... lol.

heres a nice little chart i found today this morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_usage_and_pricing
      05-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
This again?

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Not this shit again... It seems like every 2 weeks someone posts this same crap with a few different items changed.

I think this site along with snoops has debunked most of what is said.. Do a search and you can read what I wrote about temperature and gas its a bunch of BS since all gas in stored underground in double lined tanks and has a stable temperature. (This is mandated by the EPA and the reason why most mom and pa gas stations shut down was the cost of converting to these new safe gas storage tanks)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
AcMilan714
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i, e36 325is.

Will ARCO gas enhance the performance of my car?

Yes. Our detergent additive, known as CleanTech, works to eliminate engine deposits that clog the flow of gas. CleanTech also helps make your vehicle run smoother, which results in less "pinging." In fact, CleanTech works so well it exceeds the requirements of the BMW unlimited-mileage warranty test, which is the performance standard adopted by the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcMilan714 View Post
Will ARCO gas enhance the performance of my car?

Yes. Our detergent additive, known as CleanTech, works to eliminate engine deposits that clog the flow of gas. CleanTech also helps make your vehicle run smoother, which results in less "pinging." In fact, CleanTech works so well it exceeds the requirements of the BMW unlimited-mileage warranty test, which is the performance standard adopted by the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM).
lol, arco gas sucks...
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Thumbs down Lies All (well msotly) lies....

First off, here is the official list (from EIA/DOE) http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...mmary2007.html (notice, Shell barely imports from there, but Sunoco really doesn't)

So, here is the problem with boycotting one of the Persian Gulf brands and using one of the ones that don't import from the middle east....if everyone did it, guess what, the others would have to start importing middle eastern oil to make up for the increased business. You can't magically make more oil appear from the places the other companies import from. It's like you have two farmers, and both sell 100% of the crop they produce. If you don't buy from Farmer A because he is a mean person, and buy from farmer B, for every bit you buy from farmer B, someone will be forced to buy from Farmer A (even if that means Farmer B buys from Farmer A)

Also, the oil that you pump is not ACTUALLY the oil that that company put into the gas line....the profits are still funneling to where ever they got the oil from though.

This list also doesn't make mention of Venezuela....which if you have a problem with the Mid-East's view of the US, you probably have a problem with Venezuela's too, and we get a good bit of oil from there as well. (They were 5th on the list for March, behind Canada, Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Nigeria)

MSN recently had an article that said the fuel up in the morning when the tanks were cold is bogus, simply because the temperature down in the tanks doesn't really change any significant amount...they are underground afterall. I have heard both sides of this one, so I can't say for sure, but even if it were "true" it wouldn't always be true....what happens if a cold front comes in in the afternoon and temperatures outside drop 20 degrees??? hmm????
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #9
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Wow, two urban legends in one post.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/saudigas.asp

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #10