E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Did I just get bit by the P-car bug? Which would you get?

View Poll Results: Did I just get bit by the P-car bug?
Yes, you have to get the Cayman. 41 65.08%
No, get the Bimmer, you'll miss it otherwise. 22 34.92%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

09-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
I dont see any comparison between a 328i and a Cayman. One is a 4 door sedan you can drive and do other things with, one is a 2 door 2 seater you can only drive. If this will be your daily driver, I cant see how the Porsche is in any way logical.
Have you ever done it? I'm on my 6th 2-door car (never in my life owned a sedan). I currently own 2 2-seaters and a motorcycle (and a few bicycles). The last car I owned that carried more than 2 people was the E36 M3 I sold back in.... 2004? I just can't say it's ever been a problem.

Seems to me that *far* more people buy cars with seats they never use than ever regret having too few seats. Gee, too bad, I can't be the work lunch taxi every day.. what a loss!

I think if he's considering the P-car, he should go for it.. but yeah, make sure you get a well-maintained model and are aware of what repairs might need to be done.

I've never driven one, but I've mostly heard good things about the Cayman over the 911... that 911 is getting to be a huge car. That said, I still need to own a 993 some day... and a cayman.. though I could never replace my Z3MC with one, and I can't see picking up a 3rd 2-seater
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
My problem is that the timing of the coupes kills me. my lease is up in early April. The coupes don't go into production until July. you can't extend the lease without a VIN. I have a 1976 Merc 300d that was my grandfather's. It's in great shape, but no way in hell can I drive it daily in LA for 3-5 months. Stuck in a bad situation. Beyond that, I had a 325Ci, a 135i and now the 3335i coupe. Part of me is kind of over the whole sport sedan sport coupe thing. I keep telling myself that the BMW just makes more sense, but myself keeps telling me NOPE! Yes, I know that's not grammatically correct, but that's what's happening!
My situation was not as bad as yours, but I offer this as you may be able to extend your lease until you get your new coupe.
My 135i lease was up at the end of June. Msport didn't start production until July 1st, and my car didn't get to me until nearly the end of August. I got the first month extension just by asking for it. Then I had to call BMWFS and explain what was going on and that I was getting a new BMW, and it wouldn't be built and delivered to me until early September. They helped out with another extension.
Just be polite and explain what's up. They don't want to lose a sale either, so they may be able to work with you. Give it a shot if you really want a new coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #25
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Well the P-car bug's bite was stronger than BMW could handle. That's right. If all goes to plan, I am picking up my Cayman tomorrow morning!!! 2009 Aqua Blue/Black base Cayman with 6 spd, xenons, heated seats, 18s, phone, aux input and some other smaller things!!!! CPO, 20500 miles and SOOOO excited!!!! Pics are attached! Hadn't planned to get one until a few months from now but this was literally the only 09+ car in a bright blue in the US and one of the few that also had xenons, so it was kind of now or never. Got her for $38,200 before TTL, thinking that's a decent deal for a car with 3 years of warranty remaining.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #26
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

Congratulations !!! Excellent choice. You will have a huge grin on your face every time you go for a nice spirited drive!!

2014 911 Carrera S, Agate grey, black int, 7spd manual

2019 M2C, HKS, 6 spd Manual. (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #27
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Hey! I almost bought that car! I ended up going with a 335is purely because I got a great deal on a new one and I would have preferred a Cayman S. I also drove a silver on cocoa leather Cayman S at that dealership but that one was much more expensive.

You got a pretty good price from a great dealer, congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Hey! I almost bought that car! I ended up going with a 335is purely because I got a great deal on a new one and I would have preferred a Cayman S. I also drove a silver on cocoa leather Cayman S at that dealership but that one was much more expensive.

haha, SMALL SMALL WORLD!!! the 335is is an incredible car too! congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #29
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

^congrats. Great looking car. However I have issues with VW/Audi/Porche products. Me and them mix like oil and water. My wife's 22k mile new 2010 TDI Jetta left us on the side of the road with a $10k catastrophic fuel pump failure that took the dealer a week to fix. Her new Bug left us on the side of the road in early 2000's. Same deal. new car, low miles. That was a fuel pump issue I believe. Either way... I've only been left on the side of the road 2x in my life. Both by a VW and come to think of it, both by VW Fuel pumps. Uh, I flirt with Porche but could never do it and feel comfortable. Good luck with it. I can't give up my 335i just yet.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
^congrats. Great looking car. However I have issues with VW/Audi/Porche products. Me and them mix like oil and water. My wife's 22k mile new 2010 TDI Jetta left us on the side of the road with a $10k catastrophic fuel pump failure that took the dealer a week to fix. Her new Bug left us on the side of the road in early 2000's. Same deal. new car, low miles. That was a fuel pump issue I believe. Either way... I've only been left on the side of the road 2x in my life. Both by a VW and come to think of it, both by VW Fuel pumps. Uh, I flirt with Porche but could never do it and feel comfortable. Good luck with it. I can't give up my 335i just yet.
It's funny you say that because my very first car was a 2001 Jetta 1.8t and it died on me with 1000 miles on the clock. It's part of the reason I could never bring myself to get an Audi. I figure Porsche is at least a couple steps removed from that. I will tell you that from first impressions, this Cayman is very very solid and feels tank-like. We'll see how the reliability turns out. All that said, if I'm being 100% honest, the most reliable car I've ever had was my 2002 Mustang GT. It was heavily modified and still super reliable.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 04:04 AM   #31
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

How much more? I have been looking around for a cayman s. It's 987.2?
      10-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #32
rotaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: CaymanS

Congrats. Ever since I got my CS and have never looked backs. I've tracked the car quite a bit and it's the best car I've owned period. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive the car.
      10-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #33
Solonng
Captain
Rep
Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Congrats, the car looks great. I have a Cayman S myself and like you, i'd went over the Porsche. BMW cost way too much with maintenance and their bullshit once a year nonsense. I had both the 335i and an M3 and neither cars are cheap to maintain. Cayman arent expensive if you know how to take care of them. Just change the oil more often and be sure to have a good dye guy as your friend since all the painted part inside the Porsche can easily be scratched. Also, whatever you do, don't drive the car hard before it warms up otherwise you'll be asking for trouble. Rev it high is better than under rev and my Cayman gets happy around 3500 rpm to 4000 rpm shift.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #34
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Now, I in no way mean anyone here specifically, I only read a couple of replies. But people are so hesitant to have something like a Cayman for an only car. I don't get it. Need backseats? Fine. Then you wouldn't be comparing these two cars in the first place. You would be AMAZED at how much boxsters/caymans can hold. Probably close enough the huge new 3 series to surprise you. It has 2 trunks, and caymans are hatches. One is a girls car, the other is a sports car. The Porsches quality will not be matched by a 328 either, although it is newer and might be more technically up to date. That's the trade-off for getting a pure sports car for the same price as an entry level BMW sedan. If you are in the position, GET THE PORSCHE!!!!!! You will feel a knot in your chest of pure joy that you don't get in even an M3.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #35
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Wow, silly me. Just saw that you got it!!! Congrats my man! I am jealous..
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonng View Post
Congrats, the car looks great. I have a Cayman S myself and like you, i'd went over the Porsche. BMW cost way too much with maintenance and their bullshit once a year nonsense. I had both the 335i and an M3 and neither cars are cheap to maintain. Cayman arent expensive if you know how to take care of them. Just change the oil more often and be sure to have a good dye guy as your friend since all the painted part inside the Porsche can easily be scratched. Also, whatever you do, don't drive the car hard before it warms up otherwise you'll be asking for trouble. Rev it high is better than under rev and my Cayman gets happy around 3500 rpm to 4000 rpm shift.
Thanks for the advice. I figured the oil would need to be changed more often than the Porsche intervals. Also try not to drive hard before it's warm. The earlier part of my morning commute is the easy part anyway. I have also found that it certainly loves to scream up top, very different from the N54 low end grunt so that and the very, very precise clutch are the only things I'm still adapting to. It's soooo much fun!!! The handling is literally OMG, makes the e92 feel like a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Now, I in no way mean anyone here specifically, I only read a couple of replies. But people are so hesitant to have something like a Cayman for an only car. I don't get it. Need backseats? Fine. Then you wouldn't be comparing these two cars in the first place. You would be AMAZED at how much boxsters/caymans can hold. Probably close enough the huge new 3 series to surprise you. It has 2 trunks, and caymans are hatches. One is a girls car, the other is a sports car. The Porsches quality will not be matched by a 328 either, although it is newer and might be more technically up to date. That's the trade-off for getting a pure sports car for the same price as an entry level BMW sedan. If you are in the position, GET THE PORSCHE!!!!!! You will feel a knot in your chest of pure joy that you don't get in even an M3.......Wow, silly me. Just saw that you got it!!! Congrats my man! I am jealous..
yes I did!!!! I can already tell the car is far more solid than the bmw. and yea, the storage space for the small car it is is insane. Tech-wise, yes it's a dinosaur but I'll just have to live with that. Once I get the Kuda mount for my iphone and can stream satellite radio via the aux all will be good. Any tech loss is surely offset by the pure pureness of this car. yes that sounds stupid but it's true!! It has a visceral feeling and guttural sounds I haven't felt since my heavily modded NA 02 mustang gt.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #37
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Sorry I never replied, but it sold a long time ago. I don't remember how much they were asking but I do remember seeing the one the OP bought and thinking it was a sweet deal.

Good luck on the hunt though! Caymans are such amazing cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #38
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Quote:
Sorry I never replied, but it sold a long time ago. I don't remember how much they were asking but I do remember seeing the one the OP bought and thinking it was a sweet deal.

Good luck on the hunt though! Caymans are such amazing cars.
Considerably more. For the price of the 09 base CPO, I'd have had to go with a 2007 or if lucky a 2008 S. Since the C&D test on the 2009 base had it performing basically the same as the first gen S, I thought it was the best deal all around.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #39
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Great car congratulations. I love Porsches, they just make such great cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #40
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
Considerably more. For the price of the 09 base CPO, I'd have had to go with a 2007 or if lucky a 2008 S. Since the C&D test on the 2009 base had it performing basically the same as the first gen S, I thought it was the best deal all around.
Congrats, I went from a 2008 335 to a 2012 Cayman S, never looked back, although we did pick up an M3 a few months later.
I recommend you join the local PCA club, they have some good events like autocross, track days and back road drives.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #41
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

I would only get an S. If regular cayman take the 3series IMO.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #42
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Congrats.
Ever since I drove my cousin's Cayman S (auto) i fell in love with it. Just pure, raw power that begs to be punished.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #43
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
I would only get an S. If regular cayman take the 3series IMO.
Thought this at first, but honestly, the base cayman is a great car too. Especially the LCI (09+) model as it has some of the S features std- 6 spd, S brakes, and some others. When C&D tested an 09 base they found it to be very similar to the pre-09 S car in almost every measure. When I drove the pre-09 base cars I wasn't so sure. When I drove an 09 I knew I wanted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Congrats.
Ever since I drove my cousin's Cayman S (auto) i fell in love with it. Just pure, raw power that begs to be punished.
It's not just raw power, it really is raw everything. Every time I get back in the bimmer after driving the cayman exclusively for a few days it's like the BMW is jello. I cannot believe it. Now of course the bimmer is easier to drive and more comfy but I never thought it could feel so loose. I always thought the bmw made other cars feel like jello. now that the porshce does that to the bimmer, and having not driven a "regular" car in a while, I cant even imagine what going from a porsche to one of those is like. I'm always behind these putzes in their priuses and camrys saying c'mon you can go faster around this corner. now i'm thinking maybe they really can't?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #44
canadian stig
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Caymans are great cars! Congrats!!!!
Appreciate 0