F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 340i (base grey brakes, non M sport)
Extreme Powerhouse

02-25-2024, 11:41 AM   #1
flex_340
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

F30 340i (base grey brakes, non M sport)

Hey everyone im looking to upgrade my braking power on my 340i with the base grey calipers. I believe that means i have the 340mm and 330mm rotors. I see this kit on ecstuning which i will link below and it comes with their V5 slotted rotors alongside EBC redstuff pads. Both front and rear.

I mostly want the car to have a stronger brake feel and be confident in that sense, I know upgrading the rears to 2 piston calipers would be smart but would this option from ECS work well too?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...4106797602skt/
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 05:56 AM   #2
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Personally I'd avoid any EBC pads; never had a good experience from them and I've used them a good few times now (Red & Yellowstuff)

ATE, Zimmerman, TRW discs with decent pads (Brembo HP2000s get good reviews, Ferodo DS2500s maybe, the Hawk pads seem to be well thought off too) and decent braided lines (HEL/Goodridge or similar) with decent fluid; you'll do well with that IMO
      02-26-2024, 02:14 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flex_340 View Post
Hey everyone im looking to upgrade my braking power on my 340i with the base grey calipers. I believe that means i have the 340mm and 330mm rotors. I see this kit on ecstuning which i will link below and it comes with their V5 slotted rotors alongside EBC redstuff pads. Both front and rear.

I mostly want the car to have a stronger brake feel and be confident in that sense, I know upgrading the rears to 2 piston calipers would be smart but would this option from ECS work well too?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...4106797602skt/
Helpful to confirm:

- Prefer to retain the same rotors (size)?
- Looking to have a more aggressive initial bite?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 02:19 PM   #4
flex_340
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Helpful to confirm:

- Prefer to retain the same rotors (size)?
- Looking to have a more aggressive initial bite?

Honestly i want stronger brake bite/stopping power. I wanted 370mm rotors for the looks which is why i considered a full brake kit for around 3k from BMW

but im thinking if i can manage without the looks of the 370mm and stick to 340mm i can just get m sport rear calipers and get 345mm rotors and keep the fronts the same. On top of that get new 340mm rotors for the front being drilled etc. and upgrade brake pads to ds2500's or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 06:37 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly i want stronger brake bite/stopping power. I wanted 370mm rotors for the looks which is why i considered a full brake kit for around 3k from BMW

but im thinking if i can manage without the looks of the 370mm and stick to 340mm i can just get m sport rear calipers and get 345mm rotors and keep the fronts the same. On top of that get new 340mm rotors for the front being drilled etc. and upgrade brake pads to ds2500's or something.
What is your budget for upgrading the brakes?

BMW M Performance brake kit is a popular option and will almost certainly provide what you are looking for - if the budget permits. This kit does come with dimpled / slotted rotors. The pros and cons of dimpled rotors is beyond this discussion but it's helpful to mention that dimpled rotors were developed for much heavier vehicles. No measurable benefit in daily driving conditions.

About brake pads: there is at least one community of proponents for each brake pads. However, the laws of physics do not change.

If you prefer an aggressive initial bite, OEM M Sport pads are excellent but produce brake dust which is an indicator that brake pads are being "shaved" while preserving rotor life span.

PS. There are other, more expensive options such as Brembo BBK and AP Racing BBK. These brakes are phenomenal and expensive as a result.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 07:58 PM   #6
flex_340
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
What is your budget for upgrading the brakes?

BMW M Performance brake kit is a popular option and will almost certainly provide what you are looking for - if the budget permits. This kit does come with dimpled / slotted rotors. The pros and cons of dimpled rotors is beyond this discussion but it's helpful to mention that dimpled rotors were developed for much heavier vehicles. No measurable benefit in daily driving conditions.

About brake pads: there is at least one community of proponents for each brake pads. However, the laws of physics do not change.

If you prefer an aggressive initial bite, OEM M Sport pads are excellent but produce brake dust which is an indicator that brake pads are being "shaved" while preserving rotor life span.

PS. There are other, more expensive options such as Brembo BBK and AP Racing BBK. These brakes are phenomenal and expensive as a result.

I would consider the M performance kit and was for a while. But everyone told me that the bigger rotors are almost only useful if you track the regularly, which I do not and never have. I might eventually but it wont be often.

I hear that the OEM pads are the best bite but i heard a few people tell me that ds2500 pads are an upgrade and do produce alot of dust as a result but i dont mind that. Upon that I can get the rear brake calipers used so i get the 2 piston ones instead, and get slotted or drilled rotors for them, alongside rotors for the front calipers which would remain 340mm at that point.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 08:23 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

From https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1721591

"Bigger rotors offer two advantages.

- Better heat dissipation
- Greater braking torque because of longer lever arm. Another way to think about it: less energy is needed to stop a spinning rotor closer to the outside of its diameter. It's the same principle of leverage. Try removing a stubborn lug nut with a 5" wrench or a 30" wrench."

The question is whether the driver (daily driving) will notice any difference with 340mm or 370mm rotors in the front. The difference is perhaps insignificant.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 09:18 AM   #8
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

I recommend to go with EBC YellowStuff instead of RedStuff.
Upgrade to larger rotor front and rear is quite a big job in work and price.
Be aware that there are different types of rear 345 rotor depending on the emergency brake setup. If you choose to change the rotor make sure to get the right rotor and caliper for a 340i!
You also need to change the dust shield and proper coding is needed for each brake setup.

The YellowStuff will give you a very good cold and an even better hot braking then OEM and Redstuff. RedStuff is a great pad with lower and less agressive dust then OEM and YellowStuff. YellowStuff has better friction then RedStuff.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 09:24 AM   #9
flex_340
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
I recommend to go with EBC YellowStuff instead of RedStuff.
Upgrade to larger rotor front and rear is quite a big job in work and price.
Be aware that there are different types of rear 345 rotor depending on the emergency brake setup. If you choose to change the rotor make sure to get the right rotor and caliper for a 340i!
You also need to change the dust shield and proper coding is needed for each brake setup.

The YellowStuff will give you a very good cold and an even better hot braking then OEM and Redstuff. RedStuff is a great pad with lower and less agressive dust then OEM and YellowStuff. YellowStuff has better friction then RedStuff.
Seeing as getting the right rotors and right calipers for the f30 needs to be specific, at that point with how much money it would be i feel like the 3k brake kit from BMW would be a better choice
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 02:33 AM   #10
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Seeing as getting the right rotors and right calipers for the f30 needs to be specific, at that point with how much money it would be i feel like the 3k brake kit from BMW would be a better choice
I just recommend to go to an official dealer and get the M-Perfomance Brake Kit for your specific car there and have it installed/coded there.
However you can still go with the YellowStuff pad for the M-Performance Kit.

If you want to deep dive into the brake toppic:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=858607
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 10:04 PM   #11
E90lova
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
Personally I'd avoid any EBC pads; never had a good experience from them and I've used them a good few times now (Red & Yellowstuff)

ATE, Zimmerman, TRW discs with decent pads (Brembo HP2000s get good reviews, Ferodo DS2500s maybe, the Hawk pads seem to be well thought off too) and decent braided lines (HEL/Goodridge or similar) with decent fluid; you'll do well with that IMO
You used the wrong pads from EBC. Don't use any pad from EBC under the Blue Pads. EBC Bluestuff and up from now on. Yellows are absolute crap by a long shot. I have the Orange and is good for street and track. Blues on my Audi Q5 for thousands of miles and stops hard everytime.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 12:53 AM   #12
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90lova View Post
You used the wrong pads from EBC. Don't use any pad from EBC under the Blue Pads. EBC Bluestuff and up from now on. Yellows are absolute crap by a long shot. I have the Orange and is good for street and track. Blues on my Audi Q5 for thousands of miles and stops hard everytime.
I'll just stay away from EBC. Much easier and there are far better pads out there than the shite they produce...

Know plenty of folk with road going track focused cars that have run Blue stuff and nothing but issues, on road and light track work...

They're better than a road going pad for light track, but that's about it...