E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Nissan GT-R uncovered. We need Procede v3 now!!

10-24-2007, 02:42 AM   #89
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
First of all, turbo supra's were only $37,000...$40,000 optioned out... i don't know where you got $50, and secondly, obviously the car deserves respect, but we are talking about america here, land of the fat and stupid.
Many sold for nearly $50k in the U.S. The same went for the Z and the RX7. They were very expensive cars at the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:44 AM   #90
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

i think the skyline (with its $80k pricetag) will have a chance here in the US....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:51 AM   #91
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
i think the skyline (with its $80k pricetag) will have a chance here in the US....
no it won't. i was speaking with a very good friend of mine who's very well known in the JDM community and owns basically the largest JDM part distribution company in the US, he is also a contributing columnist for a few different tuning magazines, his comment was "it's a phenomenal car, (he's already driven it), however, the problem therein lies in the fact that they made an $80,000 car that primarily appeals to people who can afford $20,000 cars."
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #92
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
First of all, turbo supra's were only $37,000...$40,000 optioned out... i don't know where you got $50, and secondly, obviously the car deserves respect, but we are talking about america here, land of the fat and stupid.
First off, here ya go:

Secondly, you're right. Most americans have no idea.
Attached Images

10-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #93
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

touche on the price. i looked it up and it said base MSRP for a turbo in 1998 was 37.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:55 AM   #94
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
touche on the price. i looked it up and it said base MSRP for a turbo in 1998 was 37.
Actually you're probably right as well. Sales were disappointing from 93 to 95, so they more than likely lowered it all the way to 98.
      10-24-2007, 02:57 AM   #95
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Check the post above yours. Those cars were selling for nearly $50k wayyyy back when. I remember distinctly.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:57 AM   #96
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
We digress. I guess it comes down to who's a JDM enthusiast and who's not. If this were a Porsche, we wouldnt be having this discussion right now.
      10-24-2007, 03:00 AM   #97
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
We digress. I guess it comes down to who's a JDM enthusiast and who's not. If this were a Porsche, we wouldnt be having this discussion right now.
Well, I don't know. I'm a JDM enthusiast, but I also love EU cars. Personally, I'd rather drive an R34/R33 Vspec than this new Skyline. That's just me though! The R34/R33 is just a sexier car to me. I'd still rather drive a Carrera GT or GT3 over any Skyline.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:00 AM   #98
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We could go on all night tossing conjecture back & forth. Who knows what Americans would buy. It's a bit hard to speculate such a thing, but they would most definitely have to release the "imaginary '07 Supra" under the Lexus model line simply because people would still have a hard time paying $50k for a "Toyota". The Supra, despite being the tuning beast that it is/was, was cramped as hell on the inside, among other things. And Toyota had a good rep........even back then!

The difference between the GT-R and an RS4/M5/M6 is prestige bro. We know the GT-R is a great performer based on reviews, but at the end of the day, it won't carry the same perceived value as the cars you mentioned, especially to the buyer who could care less about 'Ring times (..which encompasses majority of the potential buyers).
So lets argue all night! It's 10AM here. lol.

We arrive at the conclusion that Americans need comforts, style, and a brand from an expensive company in order to justify spending that much on a car?
      10-24-2007, 03:01 AM   #99
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I don't know. I'm a JDM enthusiast, but I also love EU cars. Personally, I'd rather drive an R34/R33 Vspec than this new Skyline. That's just me though! The R34/R33 is just a sexier car to me.
The R34 is 100 times hotter than this one. We cant get them in the states or I woulda been donating sperm 5 years ago to get one.
      10-24-2007, 03:01 AM   #100
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

Quote:
well i drive an S2000 that was a full J's racing widebody that was sick as hell. my old room mate had an evo with a j speed engine. i'm very involved in that scene and community, i don't know if you read my post above your window sticker about my friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:05 AM   #101
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
So lets argue all night! It's 10AM here. lol.

We arrive at the conclusion that Americans need comforts, style, and a brand from an expensive company in order to justify spending that much on a car?
Well, that's the market here. Listen to the arguments on this forum.....

....Leatherette? Blah...only get real leather
....What good is a BMW if you don't get leather. Cloth does not belong in a luxury car!
....Cry cry! I want my comfort access.
....and the comfort/luxury complaints continue on!!!

At the same time, I can agree somewhat. Style, although subjective, is a huge factor. Expensive marque companies have earned such reputations over the years. People equate money w/ the label, much in the same way that people will spend $300-400 on a pair shades or a purse, when the $50-100 pair was just as good (...Gucci vs Guess), but lacked status.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:08 AM   #102
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Actually I did. Your friend has a real point. The current crowd simply cant afford it right now. How about the people that got into tuned cars 10 years ago? Older, but still have that love for JDM vehicles.

I dunno, maybe I'm just grasping at straws. My opinion is that $70k is a decent price for what the car offers a person. For me, I've wanted a GT-R for a long time. Well, the R33-34's mainly.
      10-24-2007, 03:12 AM   #103
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, that's the market here. Listen to the arguments on this forum.....

....Leatherette? Blah...only get real leather
....What good is a BMW if you don't get leather. Cloth does not belong in a luxury car!
....Cry cry! I want my comfort access.
....and the comfort/luxury complaints continue on!!!

At the same time, I can agree somewhat. Style, although subjective, is a huge factor. Expensive marque companies have earned such reputations over the years. People equate money w/ the label, much in the same way that people will spend $300-400 on a pair shades or a purse, when the $50-100 pair was just as good (...Gucci vs Guess), but lacked status.

Gee, one wonders why non BMW owners look think of us as arrogant and soft.

You're right about the label statement. I've never believed that you should just buy a brand blindly. Why spend $200 for a shirt, when another one that looks just like it costs $20? Maybe BMW's give people a status, but they are far from being the most reliable vehicles. I've had almost no issues with mine, but theres always someone daily complaining about something.
      10-24-2007, 03:13 AM   #104
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
no it won't. i was speaking with a very good friend of mine who's very well known in the JDM community and owns basically the largest JDM part distribution company in the US, he is also a contributing columnist for a few different tuning magazines, his comment was "it's a phenomenal car, (he's already driven it), however, the problem therein lies in the fact that they made an $80,000 car that primarily appeals to people who can afford $20,000 cars."
well it'll be attracting a whole different crowd that will be able to actually afford the car.... might be an older crowd (compared to the evo, sti, 350z, etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:15 AM   #105
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

Quote:
Actually I did. Your friend has a real point. The current crowd simply cant afford it right now. How about the people that got into tuned cars 10 years ago? Older, but still have that love for JDM vehicles.

I dunno, maybe I'm just grasping at straws. My opinion is that $70k is a decent price for what the car offers a person. For me, I've wanted a GT-R for a long time. Well, the R33-34's mainly.
well yeah... i mean he already has one on order, but at that rate he also has a Tracy sport widebody s2000, a 360 Challeng JGTC car, a REAL JDM 600WHP S15 Silvia, and a REAL JDM 900HP R34 skyline gt-r. but he's got money.... he was looking at 599GTB Fiorano's but he has that same JDM mindset...why? why when i can make this faster and better for less? not my mantra but i respect it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:16 AM   #106
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

Quote:
well it'll be attracting a whole different crowd that will be able to actually afford the car.... might be an older crowd (compared to the evo, sti, 350z, etc)
no.. it won't... that's the entire point. is that it does not appeal to that demographic... you can talk about mights and maybes all day long but they aren't necessarily realistic. i "might" wake up with a vagina in the morning... but i won't.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #107
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. That remains to be seen.

Quote:
no.. it won't... that's the entire point. is that it does not appeal to that demographic... you can talk about mights and maybes all day long but they aren't necessarily realistic. i "might" wake up with a vagina in the morning... but i won't.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:19 AM   #108
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
well yeah... i mean he already has one on order, but at that rate he also has a Tracy sport widebody s2000, a 360 Challeng JGTC car, a REAL JDM 600WHP S15 Silvia, and a REAL JDM 900HP R34 skyline gt-r. but he's got money.... he was looking at 599GTB Fiorano's but he has that same JDM mindset...why? why when i can make this faster and better for less? not my mantra but i respect it.
One wonders how much he payed to get the R34 to the states.

We'll all find out how popular this thing is gonna be when pricing becomes available and people put themselves on the wait list.
      10-24-2007, 03:20 AM   #109
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
...Less than what? He's already spent an insane amount of money on cars and mods. I don't understand the logic.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:21 AM   #110
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

Quote:
One wonders how much he payed to get the R34 to the states.
well the car was on market for $150,000 excl. import fees and taxes. because of his position, he paid $70k for the car the way it currently sits (900hp), and given his company, he was able to avoid a lot of the taxes and fees. i think all said and done it was about $90 grand.
Appreciate 0